About to pull the trigger on a 2002 P5 Sport Wagon: What's the rundown of these cars?

Looking to pick up a second car to compliment my main car. I came across a P5 sport wagon with only 171K KM on it (roughly 110K miles) with a lot of recent maintenance done to it. Yes it has rust on the rear wheel wells but it doesnt matter to me since ill be using this as a beater.

I will not be taking care of the P5 wagon near as good as my main car. I test drove it today (02 Sport wagon) and it seemed really good. The car only has 171K km on it (roughly 110K miles) and very well maintained. New brake job, 1 year old tires, set of winters with its own rims, ATF changed, brake flush, coolant flush, new timing belt and water pump and pulley, new serpentine belt.

All bushings and struts are still original.

1) How durable are the auto trannies on these cars? Should I expect it to be able to outlast the car or are they prone to failure? I will only be driving the car for maybe 3-4 years, roughly 20k km a year.
2) Also the hatchback door spring doesnt work. When I lift up the door, it falls and doesnt hold. How is this fixed and is it a pricey repair? What do I need to pick up for parts?
3) Is there anything else you guys want to warn me about on these cars?
4) How long can I expect the engine to last in terms of miles? Will they last as long as a Honda?
5) I hear that the front wheel bearings are prone to fail on these cars early, is that true? How can I test to see if the wheel bearings need to be replaced by just driving it? Any way?

Thanks

Personally dealing with a wheel bearing issue right now and this is the third on in 9 months. However I ran the car for two years before the first arose and put thousands of miles including over the maximum load miles on it. Yes it is a front passenger bearing. The others I am blaming on human error unless it throws another one. I didn't replace the spindle nut I used the old one. Apparently these you are supposed to replace. Also my hub had a little wear on it and I was uncertain if I should get a new one at the time. I am currently replacing the whole assembly. Steeringknuckle bearing, hub and nut. So after that I should be good. But no other issues other than normal wear and tear. I have a 5 speed so I dunno about the automatic transmission. Hatch dampers should be a hard fix or very pricey at all. Couple clips or screws and done. Car is an overall sweet ride and can transport just about anything. I've put about 30k on min and am now at 160k+. Am getting ready to replace a motor that has been knocking for 2 years as well but I blame the "gas milage oil" 0w30 that I tried because when I changed it out it began knocking. Oil was supposed to be a safe replacement for 5w20 and 5w30 but I guess not.

I test drove the red one and i cant tell exactly where the leak is coming from. The entire engine under had fresh oil. Either the oil pan or rear main engine seal.

Smelt a burning smell after we took it on the highway lol.

The tan protege looks good but the seller wont go lower than $1000. Very little rust on it and well maintained. Definitely better than the red one
The car was worked on by the owners.

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

Did you check the valve cover? When I bought my P5 it had oil seeping from the valve cover. I figured I would just have to replace the gasket. Hour into the drive home (I drove 6-7 hours one way to get it) I stopped for gas, and to check the oil. My valve cover bolts were finger tight. Tightened them up, not a problem since then.

Did you check the valve cover? When I bought my P5 it had oil seeping from the valve cover. I figured I would just have to replace the gasket. Hour into the drive home (I drove 6-7 hours one way to get it) I stopped for gas, and to check the oil. My valve cover bolts were finger tight. Tightened them up, not a problem since then.

i stuck a flashlight around the valve cover and no oil.

My concern was the burning smell after we took it for a test drive lol. It wasnt a heavy burning smell but both of us noticed it after we took the car on the highway lol. They want $800 for the car which i think is reasonable and said if i was to get it inspected they can work out a deal for me on the cost. The car is original everything and just needs perhaps a coolant flush and new front sway bar end links. The owner doesnt remember if the coolant has ever been done on the car and when I turned on the heat, it took quite some time for the heat to come on and the heat wasnt super super hot (as when you get new coolant put in). I noticed the thermostat was running a bit more on the cold side than hot (it should normally be int he middle).

The tan Protege is really good but I feel for a car with 300k km, $1000cdn is a lot, a big price tag. Mind you it comes with two sets of tires and steelies but still. Here is the car,

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ed/1158016331?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And here is the red one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...an/1158191830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What do you guys think?

Both cars drive really really good. Nice solid hard shifting. The 1999 Protege, I noticed the engine would be louder each time you put it in N. Wierd.
Both cars have equal amount of rust, very very little and very good on the under body.

Colour wise, I prefer red but no big deal.
The gold one has had more work done to it. I wont need to worry about timing belt and water pumps on either car.

The difference we are probably looking at about $200-300 between the two.

Last edited:
Back