About to pull the trigger on a 2002 P5 Sport Wagon: What's the rundown of these cars?

Thanks for the links.

My biggest concern is that the timing belt/water pump havent been done, as well as maintenance like brake flush, coolant flush, ATF havent been done. From my calling around on used cars, most people dont even know what a timing belt is and they've either neglected the repair for the sake of passing on the cost to someone else. Or they are so clueless when it comes to cars, they didnt even know it had to be done.

From my experience, if stuff like the timing belt and water pump havent been mentioned in the ad, 99% it hasnt been done. You can usually get a good feel for how car savvy the owner is or how well the car was maintened by just reading the ad.

And thats why Im still leaning towards the girl's who I saw last Wed. Cause she showed me the papers on what shes done to it in the past year and its a lot. A lot of stuff that I wont need to worry about for the time me owning the car. Brakes (including calipers), timing belt, water pump, battery, ATF change, coolant flush, brake flush, power steering flush. She really did maintain the car really well. All the fluids looked brand new.

Chances are the only repairs id need to do would be perhaps another set of tires down the road (depending how much i drive it, the ones now have about 80% tread left), rear struts, rear springs to the back door (but again I might just stick a piece of wood in the hinge to hold the door up, im cheap lol, this aint called a beater for no reason lol), and oil changes. I would rather not change the rear struts unless I need to.

Last edited:
welp. If you are able to do those thigs yourself its cheap. If not i guess the girls car prob best for you.

welp. If you are able to do those thigs yourself its cheap. If not i guess the girls car prob best for you.

Ya Im not the most mechnically inclined. I used to do oil changes and change the ATF on my old car but right now im so busy I cant be bothered crawling underneath the car, cranking wrenches and disposing of fluids lol.

I feel like im lowballing her at $800 but ill still ask. Im almost certain she wont take it and I risk her telling me to take a hike and wont reply back to my inquiries.

Last edited:
Damn, she said she will not do $800. $1000 is the lowest she will go and thats only because the cost of the back door springs cost $90 for new ones.

Im still considering it but I will go take look at this one tomorrow morning. Its $800 and Im pretty sure I can knock it down a bit more, even if its only $50 less, thats still $250 less than the wagon.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...an/1158191830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Now thats obviously not a wagon, but it wont be a big deal. I do prefer the space the wagon has to transport things, but I can live with this as well.

Timing belt on it has been done. Also has new all season tires as of last year.

The rust isnt near as bad on this one.

Last edited:
check this one out. in fact. buy this one....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...bo/1156945939?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

victoria bc car means little rust.

otherwise i cant help with cant be bothered. if the chicks car drove alright id still only offer her $800. but you could negotiate between $800-$1000. just that rust is such a gawd awful eyesore.

ps: if sedans were an option i did see that one. there are a few other ones a little higher priced but in pretty good condition. everything about the sedan is the same as the wagon except the obvious. having owned both the wagon sure is useful though.

Last edited:
As much as you keep coming back to that yellow P5, I've got to agree with Valk and say keep looking. That rust on the rear quarters is bad and considering it needs new rear struts I'd be afraid as to the structure of the surrounding area. I think you'd be better off buying one with no to little rust that needs work done. ~$1000 for a TB/WP and misc. other things is cheaper than trying to fix rust that is that bad on the yellow one. Both of my rear quarters are rusting, not that bad...yet and my body guy quoted me $1000 a side to repair and that is before he tears into it and might have to possibly (likely) repair more. At close to 200K miles I figured it's not worth it and now I'm just doing routine maintenance to keep her on the road.

I wish you luck in your search. The P5 is a great car!

if you look at my p5 rescue thread, this is why i did my engine swap on the silver chassis. the black one wasnt as bad as that yellow one, but it was still cheaper to buy the silver car with no motor and pull the engine out and rebuild the silver one WITH the paint than try to cut out the fenders and weld in new and repaint the side of the car lol.
its a bad example of something you should try to do if your not a big DIY person but yea.. body work always trumps mechanical.

check this one out. in fact. buy this one....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...bo/1156945939?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

victoria bc car means little rust.

otherwise i cant help with cant be bothered. if the chicks car drove alright id still only offer her $800. but you could negotiate between $800-$1000. just that rust is such a gawd awful eyesore.

ps: if sedans were an option i did see that one. there are a few other ones a little higher priced but in pretty good condition. everything about the sedan is the same as the wagon except the obvious. having owned both the wagon sure is useful though.

I saw that ad and replied, havent heard back from the seller yet. From what I see, it looks pretty clean of rust but hard to tell by those pics.

Ya the rust on the chicks car is hard on the eyes, I dont like rust either.

Is there a lot more cargo space in the wagon than sedan? Im gonna take a look at the 99 red Sedan tomorrow morning. Not sure how much of a difference there is between the 99 and 02/03 Proteges but the red one (according to the owner) has very little rust. It has an oil leak though, they said was minor. Will find out more tomorrow. For $800, and only 232k km, new timing belt and tires, it looks like a great deal. I could probably try to bring it down to $750 or even $700.

I think oil leaks (as long as its not pouring out) is tolerable in a beater car, since i would only plan on driving the car for 3-4 years and then recycle it.

As long as that engine was well taken care of and not abused, i could easily see it lasting 300k km.

For a beater car under $1000 (or even $800) would you bother with a full inspection from a mech? My mech charges $75. The owner of the red sedan said im more than welcome to toss on my plate and take it to my mech to get it inspected if i wanted. I could just crawl under the car with a flaslight to check the condition of the suspension and bushings.

Last edited:
As much as you keep coming back to that yellow P5, I've got to agree with Valk and say keep looking. That rust on the rear quarters is bad and considering it needs new rear struts I'd be afraid as to the structure of the surrounding area. I think you'd be better off buying one with no to little rust that needs work done. ~$1000 for a TB/WP and misc. other things is cheaper than trying to fix rust that is that bad on the yellow one. Both of my rear quarters are rusting, not that bad...yet and my body guy quoted me $1000 a side to repair and that is before he tears into it and might have to possibly (likely) repair more. At close to 200K miles I figured it's not worth it and now I'm just doing routine maintenance to keep her on the road.

I wish you luck in your search. The P5 is a great car!

Good point. Its much cheaper in the long run to buy a P5 with little to no rust and spending the extra for any maintenance that it needs than one with rust and already having the maintenance done.

To be honest i was shocked that the car, considering it only hs 177k km on it, already needs rear struts. Usually its the fronts that go first because the fronts take most of the blunt on the roads.

Last edited:
Depends where its leaking oil. The valve cover is common but that would have been changed with timing belt id hope. Leaking from the pan is easy to fix but if it burns a lot of oil that can be a problem. Having a compression tester helps when viewing cars.
The wagon is quite a lot more useful space though. Just the way it is arranged.
If the msp came in a wagon id totally have one instead. I guess thats ms3 heh but nothing eare about those heh.

Depends where its leaking oil. The valve cover is common but that would have been changed with timing belt id hope. Leaking from the pan is easy to fix but if it burns a lot of oil that can be a problem. Having a compression tester helps when viewing cars.
The wagon is quite a lot more useful space though. Just the way it is arranged.
If the msp came in a wagon id totally have one instead. I guess thats ms3 heh but nothing eare about those heh.

Thanks. Ill bring a flashlight and see if i can see where the leak is coming from. And will look under the car.

So all in all, not worth taking to my mech for an inspection for $75 hey?

Id get the nicer wagon lol. Take that one to the mechanic. P5 has better resellability

You should make friends with car guys in calgary area. Any $1000 car is going to need love and the less $85/hr you have to pay the better.

Id get the nicer wagon lol. Take that one to the mechanic. P5 has better resellability

You should make friends with car guys in calgary area. Any $1000 car is going to need love and the less $85/hr you have to pay the better.

Ive been trying to get a hold of the guy with the Vic BC P5 wagon but no dice.

I will settle for the girls P5 wagon if i have to lol.

I dont really have interest in cars much.

Last edited:
I jist took a look at this one. Its a 1991 Protege 323 DX with 217k km.

Guy will do $500. One owner all its life.

Drove it, very min rust for a 24 yr old car. I peaked inside the strut towers and no rust. Car was garage parked for 15 years of its life.

Timing belt was done 11 years ago and water pump were done 3 years ago. No leaks. Origibal struts and bushings. One year old tires.

Brake master cylinder was kow of brake fluid though. ATF was changed last year and the tranny was a rebuilt put in 45k km ago.

Muffler is shot though as it has a hole so its really loud but it sounds nice haha

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

A timing belt changed 11 years ago, is a timing belt that should be probably be changed soon. It is not only mileage, but age as well.

A timing belt changed 11 years ago, is a timing belt that should be probably be changed soon. It is not only mileage, but age as well.

True. I most likely wont get it due to this.

What do you guys think of PT Cruisers?

Im still wanting that girls yellow P5 but trying to talk her down to $900 instead of $1000 lol. I guess its not a terrible deal even with the rust. All the P5's have rust and if i can get a solid 3 or 4 years out of the car before recycling it, ill have my moneys worth at $900-1000.

I really want the cargo space of the wagon.

But Im still considering the red sedan for $800obo. I was going to see it today but the seller went into labour this morning and said she will get back in touch with me in a few days. I think that car for $800obo is a steal.

Last edited:
Back