A Tune?

I'm dealing with similar issues except that the MazdaEdit software won't even communicate with my ECU at all. I'm trying to get a donor (06 to 10 year only) to his place so he can map the ECU tables properly. That may help your situation also if a lot of the tables are the same. I think he doesn't want to use me yet since I'm turbocharged. He'd rather have a N/A model to get good baseline info from.

rodslinger, when you say that the mazdaEdit software "won't even communicate with my ECU at all", at what point does the issue happen? (I assume you got the mazdaedit sw from DT and were following a similar process that I did).

Were you able to connect to the ECU at all - like simply connect and view PID's? (I can)
If you could connect, were you able to download the stock ECU image (for DT to modify)? (I can)
If you downloaded the stock ECU, could DT modify it for your car? (This is what I'm waiting on)
If DT was able to modify the tune, could you upload it to your car? (don't know yet)

haha, your issues have been in the back of my head this whole time while it's been taking a while to get updates from DT - "oh no, is Joe having similar issues that he had with rodslinger?!"

Last edited:
I'm failing at Step 2. I can data-log, view error codes, etc.. I cannot download the stock ECU image. Getting a CAN response error. Seems the software is sending a code to the ECU that the ECU doesn't recognize and is failing at the process.

And it looks like I might finally have a donor that can get to DT after next week. Maybe with local access to the ECU, Joe can better map it out and solve both our problems.

good luck to you both. you are pioneers! Looking forward to following in your footsteps. Well, mpg tune anyway ;)

DT emailed me my base tune file (first iteration) earlier this morning. I'm excited; I wish I had my laptop so I could flash the ECU and take it for a spin during lunch today. I'll definitely report back with results, when available.

Soooo... No updates yet. Sorry :(

Two reasons:
1. The first file I just got this week is a base file and it's really more appropriate to compare the final tune after it has been optimized. Not really fair to pass judgement on step 1 of a 4 or 5 step process.
2. I haven't even actually loaded the tune yet. I had JUST filled up a tank of 87 octane on Thursday when Dynotronics sent me the tune - I had to burn through the tank of 87 so that I could fill up with 93 to properly run the tune. Tomorrow...

I loaded the base map 3/13 and was able to take logs and send to DT 3/15. I got an adjusted map from DT this morning that I will load tonight. There will be several rounds of this back and forth during the tuning process.

As mentioned, I will reserve final judgement until the tuning process is complete. DT warned me not to expect much from the just the base map when I loaded it, but I have to say it was a noticeable improvement, especially in low end power.

Did they send dyno plots from their experimentation on the original 5 they created the program with?

Did they send dyno plots from their experimentation on the original 5 they created the program with?

Not sure if this was directed at me, but no, I haven't seen any dyno plots.

I loaded the second file the night of 3/18 and was able to send logs to DT 3/20. The turnaround time for that first adjusted file was only a couple days, so I'm hoping to see a new file today or tomorrow.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but no, I haven't seen any dyno plots.

I loaded the second file the night of 3/18 and was able to send logs to DT 3/20. The turnaround time for that first adjusted file was only a couple days, so I'm hoping to see a new file today or tomorrow.

Yeah that was for you- baseline/tuned comparisons are always nice to have. :)

Yeah that was for you- baseline/tuned comparisons are always nice to have. :)

I'm still unsure of if I will dyno it in NA state prior to turbo install. I definitely won't dyno the tune until it is complete, obviously. I will have the ability to switch back and forth from tuned to stock, so the fact that I haven't done it already doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done.

My use of the Torque app has left me fairly impressed with the apparent repeatability of the power and acceleration figures it provides. I will definitely do back-to-back stock-vs-tuned runs with that at least, though I have my eyes on the new AIM SOLO, which looks like a really nice piece of kit for a reasonable price.

^ DT should discount you just to get a base dyno in their hands. How do they sell these without a verifiable dyno graph? *boggle*

I'm still unsure of if I will dyno it in NA state prior to turbo install. I definitely won't dyno the tune until it is complete, obviously. I will have the ability to switch back and forth from tuned to stock, so the fact that I haven't done it already doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done.

My use of the Torque app has left me fairly impressed with the apparent repeatability of the power and acceleration figures it provides. I will definitely do back-to-back stock-vs-tuned runs with that at least, though I have my eyes on the new AIM SOLO, which looks like a really nice piece of kit for a reasonable price.

I guess I need to buy into Torque Pro ASAP!

Still tuning, but here's a teaser.
BHP calculation/estimation
First tune file (red) vs fourth tune file (blue).
X-axis is time, not RPM (it's a quick and dirty graph)
I don't have stock data, as I wasn't logging the right things previously using the Torque app (these data are logged using mazdaEdit). I will go back and get data for stock at some point in the future.
But the stock power is certainly below the red line, I could feel a distinct difference in the first tune file. As a reference, Mazda-published BHP is 157 for the 2.5L

sfkeRwg.png

That looks good! Need to see it on a RPM scale and against the stock tune for a reality check.

Does the current tune (blue) require 93 octane? Why are there two graphs on the same continuous time scale? Did you run it twice back to back?

Latest posts

Back