A Rebuild Story - A Forged MP3 Motor

RyanJayG said:
is that clutch the same on both sides? if it is you are going to hae earth shaking engagements. the hybrid is different on either side, and is one of the reasons such a good clutch

It is the same on both sides. I worked on it directly with SPEC when they made it for me. We went over my requirements and so forth... (minimum holding torque of 450 ft-lbs, streetable engagement, reasonable clutch life (20K plus)). He said it is completely streetable for daily driving... Keep in mind they also disassembled my pressure plate and made some modifications to it for this clutch as well. So we'll see how things go. I won't know until I start driving the car in about a month or less...

The friction disc is sprung, and honestly I think the "setup" thing they did to the pressure plate is adding torsion springs to allow more give during engagement.. not sure on the last part though but the only thing that looked "new" were some leaves that held the pressure plate...

hmm.. we'll see I guess... on that note I finished putting my engine together today. I just have to machine the flywheel, pull the tranny, then re-insert.

snap a pic of the altered pressure plate. maybe we can compare to somethign to see what it is they did.

RyanJayG said:
hmm.. we'll see I guess... on that note I finished putting my engine together today. I just have to machine the flywheel, pull the tranny, then re-insert.

Congrats!! :) I can't wait for that day to get here.. tomorrow night is wiring night... I spent tonight cleaning the disaster that was my garage. I have to finish the rewire of the engine bay.

My block is under the knife this week, and my head is being finished up as well late in the week to early next week. Then they'll paint it and I'll have it back hopefully by the end of the first week of march. I should be able to drop it in and get it fired up in about a week's time after that. So by mid March I hope to start troubleshooting, and then be fully running and finishing up break in on the lead into April. Dyno then in late April early may, and unleash hell for the rest of the year hopefully!

RyanJayG said:
snap a pic of the altered pressure plate. maybe we can compare to somethign to see what it is they did.

Here you go... Ignore the hot spot/hardening points on the plate... they are ugly but spec and my machinist both say they are no worry.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 258
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 251
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 248
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 246
Ahh.. I see! :) Very cool. Be interested to see what the engagement and life will be on the clutch setup.

Brian MP5T said:
I'm Looking hard at the AEM EMS, Have you seen it?

I have not seen it but i know it's specs well.. we can discuss it via PM if you like.. or i can give you a call sometime if you want to talk about it. It's a great unit...

Aem Ems

Brian MP5T said:
I'm Looking hard at the AEM EMS, Have you seen it?

I have the AEM EMS and working very well. I'm having a sheet medal intake put in and a exhaust manafold with a T3/T4 hybrid turbo,down pipe and internals put in and some axles, RPS clutch new fly wheel, LSD welded. Wagner is doing it all so we'll see when I get it back. I'll post pictures of the build, he just started the job, I'm looking to be around 300whp on the Mustang dyno.

TurfBurn said:
Improving flow for the turbo... I also have 1mm oversize on the exhaust valves. They are opened up but they are properly matched to my runners, and the lip was left as is appropriate technique to help prevent backflow of the exhaust gases.

This motor is going to be rather open, but I can deal with the low end losses as I'll compensate for them with more boost as necessary (and the timing to generate boost at very low rpm's as well). The guy who ported the head I left to his own devices as he has been doing it for a while and is supposed to be quite good. I will be get flow numbers sometime in the summer likely as my builder will have a bench then. For now, however, we are applying standard practice.

I am curious to any comments you have or so forth, so please do critique as you see fit. I realize bigger isn't always better, but opening them up more so I can match out to the manifold better is also important. I'd have to take some measurements to be sure how much more it was opened up...I know it is a fair amount, but also not a completely insane amount.

Nothing was meant as any type of insult (I'm sure you knew that but someone gave my some bad reps. for that). When I brought the head back to be flowed I was told I opened up the exhaust ports too much ( still .180 smaller than the exhaust manifold ports). He told me he would never had opened them up that much on a street motor with no cams to make them work together. He then went into a couple of rants in mathamatical formulas in which he uses to determine the maximum flow possible with a port of a certain size. And stating that I would never had out flowed the stock size enough to justify making them bigger (something along those lines). Now I haven't gotten the flow numbers yet, but he was hinting at me doing another head and keeping the stock exhaust port dimensions.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Nothing was meant as any type of insult (I'm sure you knew that but someone gave my some bad reps. for that). When I brought the head back to be flowed I was told I opened up the exhaust ports too much ( still .180 smaller than the exhaust manifold ports). He told me he would never had opened them up that much on a street motor with no cams to make them work together. He then went into a couple of rants in mathamatical formulas in which he uses to determine the maximum flow possible with a port of a certain size. And stating that I would never had out flowed the stock size enough to justify making them bigger (something along those lines). Now I haven't gotten the flow numbers yet, but he was hinting at me doing another head and keeping the stock exhaust port dimensions.

My guy did it by the numbers... so I'm assuming I should be good from that standpoint... considering I'll be moving nearly 22 -24 psi of boost, I'll need the size as far as flow is concerned. If not.. oh well... the polish in and of itself was probably worth it. I'll cam the motor eventually, but I've got enough changes going in on this round as is.

And no I didn't negative point you :).

Last edited:
I just noticed I got negative pointed for posting the cad files of the thrust bearing? Sorry for giving more info for the community apparently!! LOL. Well here is some more likely negative pointage ;).... here are some pics (I'll update the other posts later) of my new gauges that will go in the A-Pillar, and my AEM FPR... also there is a pic of my oil pump interior that I disassembled. The port in the center of the picture is the outlet port of the pump housing... I'm having it radiused and ported to improve pump output and make it "high flow" Also, the exit port at the very top (just can barely see the bottom edge of it at the top of the picture) will also be radiused to help oil flow. Additionally, there is a hex plug in the end of that runner... you can remove that and attach part of an accusump right there I believe... I need to work on that yet... but that is on of my future projects as well... to add a 1-2 quart accusump on right there to preserve oil flow.

Later!

Steve

Attachments

• oil pump port.jpg
    oil pump port.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 163
  • gauge set.jpg
    gauge set.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Block pickup day looks like it will be rougly 3/25/05. About a month later than I had wanted... but what can you do!!!

that is the best day of the year. I was born on that day. looks like I should get that block :p

Are you changing or shimming the pressure relief spring on the oil pump (I'm assuming that they use pressure relief springs, never took one apart) to get more pressure along with more flow?

I haven't done that yet... I'm going to see what kind of pressure I have... there is a specific range that is considered to be "ideal" in a racing application and it is right around 60-80 psi I believe.. I'll have to double check my references.. and our stock pump is designed to move 70-80 psi.. so it should be good.. but if I get lower than that pressure on the backside of the block after it has gone through some areas of the motor and my gauge tells me that I'm off from that range than I will shim it... there is indeed a spring and shim in our oil pump for doing so. But I have my pump ported and all my passages cleaned and polished... so I should be in good shape there.

For those who don't know.. my motor has had a couple issues here as it has gotten finished up... Oliver didn't finish my rods.. the small end wasn't completed... so my machinist had to complete it and get it fixed... once that was done the pistons and rods went in no problem... then they were working on putting in all the shims I measured out for the cams and they were having trouble with the intake side cam seeming to stick. Well one of the times they started to rotate, the cam sheared in half. Turned out it had a hairline crack in it. So I am giving them one of my spare cams and they are going to magnaflux it and the other cam and make sure they are all good to go and finish up the head. Then they have to do paint for the block and it is all done :). Looks still like I'll have it come Friday... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I should have it fired up by Monday I hope... but we'll see. Microtech still has my computer as they were doing a special reconfigure... so I have to get on them for that... but that's my update.. I have tons of pictures and info... which I'll provide all of it as soon as I have time (aka when the motor is up and running).

Later!

Steve

Well I have the motor in hand... it is getting dressed tonight.. and then going in the car tomorrow is the plan... So I'll take lots of pics and I'll finally get some updates and stuff done for this thread to be informative the way that it was meant to be!

So stay tuned :).

Back