A Rebuild Story - A Forged MP3 Motor

I should have the motor back the end of next week. I need to get a couple supporting items lined up and I'm hoping to finish rewiring the car this weekend... then we'll really start rocking! My intake manifold is getting finished up right now on the PandP... So we'll see how it all goes!

Updated with cad files for the thrust bearing you can use for doing the full face thrust bearing shell set.

Wow You really opened up those exhaust ports... why?

Do you have the flow numbers before and after?

BlkZoomZoom said:
Wow You really opened up those exhaust ports... why?

Do you have the flow numbers before and after?

Improving flow for the turbo... I also have 1mm oversize on the exhaust valves. They are opened up but they are properly matched to my runners, and the lip was left as is appropriate technique to help prevent backflow of the exhaust gases.

This motor is going to be rather open, but I can deal with the low end losses as I'll compensate for them with more boost as necessary (and the timing to generate boost at very low rpm's as well). The guy who ported the head I left to his own devices as he has been doing it for a while and is supposed to be quite good. I will be get flow numbers sometime in the summer likely as my builder will have a bench then. For now, however, we are applying standard practice.

I am curious to any comments you have or so forth, so please do critique as you see fit. I realize bigger isn't always better, but opening them up more so I can match out to the manifold better is also important. I'd have to take some measurements to be sure how much more it was opened up...I know it is a fair amount, but also not a completely insane amount.

And... higher flow numbers on a head does NOT equal higher horsepower output. Chevy and Ford learned that one the hard way. They use to build their high performance head packages and they would flow each one. They would keep the highest flowing heads for their race programs and send out the rest for customers. They later discovered that most of their midrange heads actually produced the best numbers, far better than the high flowing heads. So they switched to dynoing the heads to determine which ones were the best... so flow numbers don't really tell the story either.

TurfBurn said:
And... higher flow numbers on a head does NOT equal higher horsepower output. Chevy and Ford learned that one the hard way. They use to build their high performance head packages and they would flow each one. They would keep the highest flowing heads for their race programs and send out the rest for customers. They later discovered that most of their midrange heads actually produced the best numbers, far better than the high flowing heads. So they switched to dynoing the heads to determine which ones were the best... so flow numbers don't really tell the story either.

for an NA engine I would say thats totally true... but for FI, I'd be willing to bet that more flow = more power. when you are cramming air in at positive atmosphere harmonics don't mean anything anymore.

also, when did you contact SPEC for that clutch? is it ths same clutch that Beau sells (full face stage III) 600ft/lb clutch http://**************************.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=23_40&products_id=50

kinda sounds like it from the description.

I would guess pretty harsh. even the spec stage 3 hybrid engagement is a little harsh, though the pedal feel is awesomely stockish

maybe not... if you use some shockproof Redline gear oil in yur tranny like I am you might make it out alright.

I'm personally using 2 parts heavyweight, 1 part lightweight. because I mostly drive my car in summer, and Im in the south.

RyanJayG said:
also, when did you contact SPEC for that clutch? is it ths same clutch that Beau sells (full face stage III) 600ft/lb clutch http://**************************.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=23_40&products_id=50

kinda sounds like it from the description.

I thought Beau was selling a 6 puck hybrid. This is obviously not a 6 puck... but it was set up with my ACT pressure plate at 34% over stock. So not bad overall.. I'm curious about engagement as well.

and looking at the link you provided it is definitely differnt as this is NOT an iron disc.. it is a carbon ceramic composite, SPEC said that it would be very streetable with good engagement. So we'll see in about a month.

RyanJayG said:
for an NA engine I would say thats totally true... but for FI, I'd be willing to bet that more flow = more power. when you are cramming air in at positive atmosphere harmonics don't mean anything anymore.

Not necessarily either though... the thing is that when you put in or take out valves, or put on or take off various manifolds and exhaust piping you get different results. Most flow benches do the head and not much else... so the problem becomes compensating for all the other components and what yields horsepower because of better scavenging, less exhaust back flow etc.. there are a LOT of things other than harmonics and the like in play.

Keep in mind that even in positive atmosphere you still have density waves which will play a great factor in entrance velocity of the air... so the harmonics DO still matter greatly.

TurfBurn said:
I thought Beau was selling a 6 puck hybrid. This is obviously not a 6 puck... but it was set up with my ACT pressure plate at 34% over stock. So not bad overall.. I'm curious about engagement as well.

Beau sells the Hybrid as well.. the clutch I linked is the MEGA hp clutch.

RyanJayG said:
Beau sells the Hybrid as well.. the clutch I linked is the MEGA hp clutch.

I went through all the ones that Beau had on there and none of them match what I'm using... I'm curious to see what it will be like.. hopefully it holds up!

is that clutch the same on both sides? if it is you are going to hae earth shaking engagements. the hybrid is different on either side, and is one of the reasons such a good clutch

Back