@ 90K miles on my 2013 CX-5 and need to replace the brakes/rotors

Good to hear you have 90+K on brakes, I have 45,000 on mine with no issues.

Note, a highway driver with 90k miles might have less brake wear than a city driver with 30k miles.

The softer the pad the more wear on the pad and the less on the rotor so I can usually replace the pads a couple of times without even turning the rotors.

Exactly, decide what you want but most people would want softer pads producing less wear on rotors. Though rotors are usually $20 a pair these days - they are meant to be replaced. (at least they were $20/pair for my previous Isuzu which was great)

Instead of turning rotors I usually just replace them as turning reduces the thickness of the rotor and they will heat up faster and be more prone to crack. I can easily switch rotors and I have to get someone like NAPA to turn them and it takes more time and does not save a lot. I used organic pads from Autozone on a G35 that is famous for using pads fast but had good luck with them

Not sure where you live GAXIBM but most reputable shops will not turn rotors without a minimum thickness. Since most product today (I'd say all but I don't know 100%) is made to be cheaper and lighter, the rotors supplied are likely universally un-turnable like the old days. The moment there is a groove, the rotor should be replaced. However, I've been known to just put cheap pads on a grooved rotor to go one more brake change. On my Isuzu I needed brakes every 20k miles, so 90k is amazing!

Though rotors are usually $20 a pair these days - they are meant to be replaced. (at least they were $20/pair for my previous Isuzu which was great)

No, you can't buy rotors that meet spec (even for an Isuzu) for $20/pair. Not all rotors are created equal.

New OEM Brembo rotors for the front wheel of my Ducati are $300. I've worn out three sets in 60,000 miles.

Is it really necessary to replace the rotors if they are not damaged? I've never had to replace a rotor on any car I have owned, only had them resurfaced.

If they are under material thickness minimum specs, yes.

I would throw warped rotors into the category of "damaged".

Check the cost of rotors vs turning, I prefer to pay a little more and replace.

Back