80mm Exhaust for the MSP

why dont they just do a "j pipe" back exhaust 80mm "s pipe" isnt going to make that much of a differance, were talking maybe 5whp... lets compare the GHL to the Vibrant and see what the numbers are on a stock car... also if you run just the "j pipe" it is much easier to run a external/divorced wastegate you wouldn't be limited to that "s pipe"which isnt the greatest in the first place (mazdas bad)

I like 80mm exhaust idea but if CS isn't going to make it TBE then this would be just a competitor against Vibrant.

I do own a Vibrant J-BE and being that SteedSpeed is coming up with new T3 mani and I'll be using GT30R, I'm thinking CS 80mm exhaust would work best if it comes TBE other wise whats the point ?

1-Using the opportunity that SteedSpeed T3 mani will be available and those ppl would be using t3 turbo, this 80mm exhaust would come handy and the "S" section wouldn't be so tight ex: MAM did this before and their down pipe wasn't that tight just few degree bend and smooth flow.

2-Being that this is 80mm exhaust , round/cylindrical can would allow for alot of noise, as an option could you use lets say a non-round big magnaflow mufler and have somewhat a happier DD instead of a "racy car".

I'm sure there's some ppl like me as far as looking forward to a TBE instead of cat-back.

I'm sure if we get some ppl and CS re-calc price "with-in reasons" it will be possible.

Last edited:
Also interested Derrick, and I'd definitly love to have an 80mm S&J if you guys ever end up making one. I have the 60mm TBE and wouldn't change a thing (except the size).

Terbow is working on a 3" s-pipe. It looks like nearly everyone missed the point of this thread which is simply a j-pipe-back exhaust like the Vibrant setup.

The idea was to do a j-pipe back system in 80mm. The problem I have been looking at is going from a stock or even a CorkSport S pipe to the 80mm is a pretty big jump in pipe diameter.

Option 1 is a 65mm S pipe flange connection and 90 degree bend then flare to 80mm.

Option 2 is a 65mm S pipe flange and jump straight to 80mm. Just trying to squeeze the 80mm pipe into factory stud pattern will be tough.

What does everyone think?

Derrick

I'm sure most would agree that they would want it to jump straight to the 80mm for better flow. Personally I would deal with the flare to 80mm after 90 degree bend if it meant it would be a bit cheaper. I'm sure it would since it would be harder (more precision and accuracy) to get the 80mm piping to bend at the 90 degree angle.

The idea was to do a j-pipe back system in 80mm. The problem I have been looking at is going from a stock or even a CorkSport S pipe to the 80mm is a pretty big jump in pipe diameter.

Option 1 is a 65mm S pipe flange connection and 90 degree bend then flare to 80mm.

Option 2 is a 65mm S pipe flange and jump straight to 80mm. Just trying to squeeze the 80mm pipe into factory stud pattern will be tough.

Derrick
Honestly, I think your best bet would be to release 2 more J pipes as seperate items... on ASAP to connect to the factory S-pipe then flare out to 80mm, and a second J pipe to connect to your shiney new yet-to-be-released 80mm S-pipe.

Cost-prohibitive-ness aside, there IS a market for this with the number of guys running GT28RS turbos, and guys who want to max out their 25's... if you put this whole package together, you'd be the new GHL/ION exhaust that everyone and their brother is hunting for.

I'm sure most would agree that they would want it to jump straight to the 80mm for better flow. Personally I would deal with the flare to 80mm after 90 degree bend if it meant it would be a bit cheaper. I'm sure it would since it would be harder (more precision and accuracy) to get the 80mm piping to bend at the 90 degree angle.
a smooth transition will flow MUCH better than a jump in diameter....

Do a full tb.. 3 inch including spipe, Id be interested with this
They already mentioned this would be very difficult. I imagine to do something like this it would have to be a one-piece downpipe similar to the old MAM-style downpipes that never really made it to the market. Personally, I'd rather see a straight 80 mm flange and just leave it to us to work out. Like someone has said, there is a member here who is working hard to get a 3" downpipe made. Of course, I'd rather see Corksport make a s/j-pipe combination or straight downpipe to go with this themselves as there would obviously be less compatability issues. Either way, I'm looking at having to modify the final product to fit my P5 so I guess my opinion doesn't matter too much.

They already mentioned this would be very difficult. I imagine to do something like this it would have to be a one-piece downpipe similar to the old MAM-style downpipes that never really made it to the market. Personally, I'd rather see a straight 80 mm flange and just leave it to us to work out. Like someone has said, there is a member here who is working hard to get a 3" downpipe made. Of course, I'd rather see Corksport make a s/j-pipe combination or straight downpipe to go with this themselves as there would obviously be less compatability issues. Either way, I'm looking at having to modify the final product to fit my P5 so I guess my opinion doesn't matter too much.
hacking out 6" from the axel back section would be a lot easier than trying to work out welding/flanging up in the front section where space is already cramped... terbow's 3" DP would likely work GREAT with this as he's leaving the end of it as raw pipe, so a muffler shop could probably get a flange on it and mate it up to this product (customization of both parts required) for a reasonable price.

Full trubo back :)

on a GT28, does the S-pipe bolt right up correct? its just you will need different size couplers for the Intercooler and intake right?

Derrick

Here is MAM-3" down pipe from THUMPER KIT(silver coated)
1.JPG

Now you telling me that it will be that hard to do something like that for a T3 turbo set-up ????????

BTW- what is your target: T2 set-up or T3 set up ?

Or make the option for either one and have the mentioned size for T2 set-up/ppl and make 80mm full TBE for T3 set-up/ppl which/who will be buying STEEDSPEED T3 manifold as its being build as well.

What do yo think of that now ?

IMO - 80mm exhaust should be unique on its own and don't try to mix-match it with anything else but build it like its suppose to be, I mean its 80mm exhaust this is meant to be TBE not cat-back, we don't have v8's here that we just interested in 80mm cat-back versions.
Isn't the point of 80mm exhaust for T3 and bigger turbo application where you can tell and benefit from it , how much would a T2 benefit from 80mm version when they can get maxed out on 75mm.

Last edited:
$449 80mm j pipe back is a steal. if it had an oval style muffler with a deep/subtle tone with a 3-3.5 tip that sat flush with the bumper it would be on my shopping list. Something that looks and sounds less ricey.

Back