3k to spend on rebuild. suggestions?

Car is in the shop now. I dont know when he is gonna get to it but he was going to do a leak down test asap. He is pretty sure the pistons are bad. Car had a lot if crank case pressure. It was spitting out the oil dip stick tube valve civer etc. Even the crank seal is blown out on it. Probably starting with a .040 rebuild. From there we will go and figure out tuning and then we'll move onto turbo stuff. Just eager to get this running. Probably going to go with aem fic with plug and play harness. Also aem wideband and I think they have a boost gauge that is also a biost controller.

260 is not almost 300. Also that was in 2006. Most people on here probly aren't original owners and have one that's been ragged out and will never even hold together at 12 psi
the actual number is 277 @ 12 psi. Also after that session was over he turned it up to 15 psi on the street so really he did make it to 300. Ahh the days when the protege still had aftermarket support.

Wiseco .040 will be ordered soon. Already have a walbro fp so that helps a little. Decided we are gonna go 5k into it instead of 3k. Gonna go with aem fic as well

You said your buddy was Dynoed at 300. Was that to the wheel?
Also personally i don't like the paueter rods. To much money for what they are. And I also would take an AEM FIC over the ssafc any day. Wiesco pistons are good. For injectors you could do STI yellows. You could also get an SU intake manifold if a 626 is unavailable.
Just my 2 cents

Went and looked at some sti yellows and they are a side feed not a top feed like I would need. Maybe they changed them during the years? The wrx ones are a top feed

Finally made my own profile. I was using my brothers protege-mp3-506 screen name. I'm still looking at wrx injectors. Also, My srt4 ones look close so we are gonna see if they will work. They are stock 577cc injectors. Also have some 682 but i dont think i need that much.

UPDATE! Mazda is still in the shop. Pistons have holes in them, and are being replaced. harmonic balancer pulley is cracked and being replaced also. So far thats the only thing wrong. Just bought a brand new mfactory lsd, harder 3rd and 5th gear, aem fic, garrett stage 3 57 trim turbo with a 38mm external tial wastegate. i am using the 577 srt4 injectors. car already has 626 manifold on in and a thunder II exhaust manifold. wiseco pistons, k-1 rods. and stock bov :)

Here are some pics. Notice the chunks in cylinder 4 lol. Car should be done this week...hopefully
20121102_161240.jpg

20121107_163255.jpg

20121107_163304.jpg

Crank pulley broke. They said it just kinda wobbled off.
20121110_134423.jpg

20121110_134433.jpg

jeeeeezus this thing better pull hard 7k could buy you a couple msp nowadays.

good luck with the build hopefully it goes smooth compared to your last build. If all goes well and it becomes a truly fast car it will all be worth it in the end.

Been awhile since we've updated this. Car ran amazing. 7lbs it pulled on new camaro ss'. 14lbs on the other hand, what a ride. The Mfactory lsd is amazing as well. On 7lbs and stock fuel injectors it ran a 14.5@ 101mph 4500 ft above sea level btw. Never took it to the track on 14 unfortunately. Ended up trading the car in for a mazdaspeed3 for a better DD. Someone got a good deal on this car. Now have a built MP3 that will hopefully be boosted come spring if not earlier. Just a few more little things and she'll be ready to go. Not having an lsd sucks!!!!

Your MS3 doesn't have LSD? Or the MP3? I don't see a protege on 7lbs keeping up with a V8 camaro, and I hate camaros.

No lsd on the mp3. Unfortunately the ms3 is now totalled. Keep in mind the turbo on this msp was a 57 trim t3t4. Big turbo, moves more air. 7lbs on that is gonna be more than 7 on a gt25. Camaro was also an auto, it was a pretty even race. At about 90mph his front bumper was next to my driver door

Latest posts

Back