3k to spend on rebuild. suggestions?

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
So I decided to sell my srt 4 and rebuild the msp. Right now it sits with low compression and one dead cylinder. Someone mentioned possibly a bad head gasket. Could be rings also. Mods on the car now are k-1 rods and wiseco .020 over pistons. So I think I wanna order a cometic head gasket and get the motor bored .040 over with new pistons. Also has a fmic, thunder 2 mani with an external wastegate and a t3t4 50 trim turbo. Car doesnt have anything tuning wise so I think an ssafc is a must. Car ran like s*** before it died and this is probably part of the problem. So I'm looking to spend some money to do it right. I'm also looking into gtx gears. I would love to have about 320-350 horse. Turbo is gone too so i'll be keeping an eye out for a gt28rs. The one on now took way too long to spool. The 3k I'm looking to spend includes labor. Can spend more if necessary. So here is a list of what I was looking to get. Other suggestions will be appreciated and considered. If its just head gasket and pistons are good, head will get a p&p. Sorry if there is spelling errors, doing this on my phone.

Wideband for tuning
Ssafc
.040 over wiseco pistons. Compression ratio? (Block bored over too of course)
Gt28rs
New ext wastegate (cheap one on it)
If funds permit: stage 2 port and polish from speed circuit
Cometic head gasket
Gtx gears
Clutch if it needs to be upgraded
Lsd welded if possible
626 mani if it doesnt already have one. How can you tell the difference?

Last edited:
depends on the tune. although id be more worried about the transmission if you are thinking you will push to much psi.

With all that I would suggest a stand alone rather than a piggy back. I think 14-16 psi is the limit for the ssafc

Well cause the look better, handle better, and most srt4 owners are dicks so he made a good choice.

You wont get the list you have there for 3K

Focus on the engine,

Parts should be under $1500 then the shop time is going to cost how well you are a friend with the shop owner.

Usually, you get what you play for, so if the shop seems like a bunch of idiots, RUN!

Spending $1500 on parts, installed by a tool, then having the engine fail and having to start over is going to cost so much more than doing it correctly the first time.

check out www.mp5t.com if you like, there is a basic "How To Forged Motor" there that is incomplete but will give you perhaps some ideas..

This same shop built my buddies msp. He just dynoed at 300 and like 260tq. They also just got done building another one. Now that he has some experience with them, I trust them. This guy also runs a 750hp crx at the track that he built. Srt was a fun car but it was beat to s*** before we got it even. Just a ton of problems. I love how torquey (?) It is and will miss it but my friends msp rapes it all day. Handling sucks, turning radius sucks even more. Its still a neon on roids. I love how it sounds and how it has the 'popcorn' sound when engine braking. I think the msp will just be a lot more comfortable. I know I probably cant get all this stuff but I will pick from whst I need most. I think I can pick up a pair if 440 wrx's for like 70 bucks here locally. Unless I use my srt stage 2 ones which are like 683cc lol

So since you wanna switch to a gt28rs does that mean you'll be getting a different exhaust manifold or could you get a t3 exhaust housing for the gt28? I'm on a 50 trim too and it does take forever to spool!

I think I saw a gt28 somewhere that can be ordered with the t3 flange. If not, I have a stock manifold in my garage :) just cant wait to have this running again!

You said your buddy was Dynoed at 300. Was that to the wheel?
Also personally i don't like the paueter rods. To much money for what they are. And I also would take an AEM FIC over the ssafc any day. Wiesco pistons are good. For injectors you could do STI yellows. You could also get an SU intake manifold if a 626 is unavailable.
Just my 2 cents

This same shop built my buddies msp. He just dynoed at 300 and like 260tq. They also just got done building another one. Now that he has some experience with them, I trust them. This guy also runs a 750hp crx at the track that he built. Srt was a fun car but it was beat to s*** before we got it even. Just a ton of problems. I love how torquey (?) It is and will miss it but my friends msp rapes it all day. Handling sucks, turning radius sucks even more. Its still a neon on roids. I love how it sounds and how it has the 'popcorn' sound when engine braking. I think the msp will just be a lot more comfortable. I know I probably cant get all this stuff but I will pick from whst I need most. I think I can pick up a pair if 440 wrx's for like 70 bucks here locally. Unless I use my srt stage 2 ones which are like 683cc lol

I can understand that. I was more or less curious. My uncle and I switched cars for a week and I myself felt my MSP was more enjoyable to drive daily but it was no where near as fast and has no where near the aftermarket support. Tuning via OBD port rocks and the ability to shut off a certain cel so it would never come on was pretty kick ass. However with that said my uncle also said my car felt like it was going to break every time he shifted compared to the srt4.

Latest posts

Back