2023 CX-5 Turbo Whining Noise

Thr newer 8-speed or 9-speed automatic is nothing special but squeezes in 2 or 3 extra gears in there. The reliability issue has nothing to do with the concept of adding additional gears. If Toyota can do it, everybody else can do it too if they’re willing.

Cylinder deactivation on the other hand is a totally different story.
There actually have been huge reliability issues with adding more gears into the same space as previous units, everything has to be smaller to fit. We are building GM/Ford 10 speeds and ZF 8 Speeds like crazy. The Ford/GM units fail anywhere from 70-100k most ZF 8 speeds are in the 100-120k mile range. Also seeing huge early failure issues on the Toyota 8 Speeds.

Mazda has an 8 speed FWD/AWD transmission that they keep updating the patents on throughout the years. Whether it will be produced or not is another story.

1700596898085.png

There actually have been huge reliability issues with adding more gears into the same space as previous units, everything has to be smaller to fit. We are building GM/Ford 10 speeds and ZF 8 Speeds like crazy. The Ford/GM units fail anywhere from 70-100k most ZF 8 speeds are in the 100-120k mile range. Also seeing huge early failure issues on the Toyota 8 Speeds.

Mazda has an 8 speed FWD/AWD transmission that they keep updating the patents on throughout the years. Whether it will be produced or not is another story.

View attachment 324046
Oh looks like I was wrong then!

I haven’t heard too many issues on Toyota’s 8-speed automatic since it came out in 2018 other than software tweaks. I was on a rental 2023 Citroën C4 “gas” 1.5L NA with an 8-speed automatic during the road trip in Spain earlier in May and June with paddle shifter and I felt perfectly fine programming wise.

Luckily I don’t plan to get a new car anytime soon. And hopefully by the time we need a new car all 8 or 9-speed automatics and CVTs are pretty reliable. Or just an EV with no transmission. ;)

Oh looks like I was wrong then!

I haven’t heard too many issues on Toyota’s 8-speed automatic since it came out in 2018 other than software tweaks. I was on a rental 2023 Citroën C4 “gas” 1.5L NA with an 8-speed automatic during the road trip in Spain earlier in May and June with paddle shifter and I felt perfectly fine programming wise.

Luckily I don’t plan to get a new car anytime soon. And hopefully by the time we need a new car all 8 or 9-speed automatics and CVTs are pretty reliable. Or just an EV with no transmission. ;)
I was actually talking about Toyota's CVT transmission. Sinistriel@, they are built differently, are they not?

They still break but nowhere near the amount that Nissan and Subaru does.
I thought Subaru had the most reliable CVT and Nissan the worse, with Honda somewhere in between. Hadn't heard anything bad about Toyota's CVT.

I thought Subaru had the most reliable CVT and Nissan the worse, with Honda somewhere in between. Hadn't heard anything bad about Toyota's CVT.
Toyota and Honda have the most reliable CVT, Subaru have some big issues and we do quite a few, Nissan is by far the worst. Chrysler and Mitsubishi use a modification of the Nissan unit and see much better service life. The valve bodies are modified and they have much better cooling systems.

Toyota and Honda have the most reliable CVT, Subaru have some big issues and we do quite a few, Nissan is by far the worst. Chrysler and Mitsubishi use a modification of the Nissan unit and see much better service life. The valve bodies are modified and they have much better cooling systems.
The CVT trans is the disposable razor of transmissions - One reason I still buy Mazdas NO CVT - I worked in a transmission shop and we wouldnt even rebuid em / or replace em because we didnt want the warranty issues - even remanni's we declined to install !
Im sure everyone here has seem that guy on youtube " scotty " - He hates em - yet in his " top 10 suvs " his #1 pick was the Honda CRV. !!! and you know hes getting paid , because he said its the best ...except it has a CVT and a 60k-timing BELT
( interference engine ) ...say what ?

Im sure everyone here has seem that guy on youtube " scotty " - He hates em - yet in his " top 10 suvs " his #1 pick was the Honda CRV. !!! and you know hes getting paid , because he said its the best ...except it has a CVT and a 60k-timing BELT
( interference engine ) ...say what ?
And he also made this video:

Can’t blame him, he needs to make living too ⋯ ;)

If you believe a 6-speed auto is good enough, then why almost everybody else has switched to the 8-speed or 9-speed automatic long ago if not a CVT for minimum EPA gain? Now Mazda finally has followed suit and it’s better late than never.

You can’t deny CVT is the most efficient transmission on market right now. More gears like 8 or 9-speed automatic can resemble a CVT more on fuel economy for different kind of driving conditions, but keeps the driving feels of a traditional step transmission. It’s a win-win situation!
The ONLY reason they keep adding cogs is for CAFE. Of course, a CVT can be more efficient, but that isn't the goal for all drivers. Why don't exotic cars use CVT's? Because they are not good for performance cars. Dual clutches are the way to go for performance if this is what you are really after. I have yet to see a CVT outperform a regular automatic (acceleration numbers) in any case. Can't stand how it feels to drive a CVT. I have one on my Piaggio scooter and that is as far as I want it go - LOL.

The ONLY reason they keep adding cogs is for CAFE. Of course, a CVT can be more efficient, but that isn't the goal for all drivers. Why don't exotic cars use CVT's? Because they are not good for performance cars. Dual clutches are the way to go for performance if this is what you are really after. I have yet to see a CVT outperform a regular automatic (acceleration numbers) in any case. Can't stand how it feels to drive a CVT. I have one on my Piaggio scooter and that is as far as I want it go - LOL.
I also think there is a physical limit imposed by the torque available at the lower engine rpm that the higher gear ratios would seek to utilize. So it would depend on the torque curve of the engine. There has to be enough torque available in those taller gears to overcome rolling resistance and aerodynamic resistance which rapidly increases with vehicle speed and SUV's aren't exactly aerodynamic. If geared too high the transmission would continually downshift at slight load increases thus defeating the purpose of more gears.
My previous car had a 3800-2 (3.8 l) V-6 with plenty of torque available to turn at the1800 RPM at 60 MPH that GM designed it for.

I think there ought to be a contest between Scotty and Project Farm to see which one you can stand to listen to the longest.
scotty has a high pitched whine at ANY speed and his bearing is definitely pitted !- but he is knowledgeable and interesting ....IN his earlier videos he had no dog in the hunt , so he ripped pretty much everyone for everything ...now I SEE the guy went from a 300K 1997 Camry to A Mustang GT350 overnight ?

yes totally agree -- like stepping into a wet sponge

...On a brand new one with the noise it's likely an alignment issue with either the case or bearing not being completely true.
What can it eventually cause do you think, and how soon?
Also, how this issue can be diagnosed without pulling the transmission apart?

I also think there is a physical limit imposed by the torque available at the lower engine rpm that the higher gear ratios would seek to utilize. So it would depend on the torque curve of the engine. There has to be enough torque available in those taller gears to overcome rolling resistance and aerodynamic resistance which rapidly increases with vehicle speed and SUV's aren't exactly aerodynamic. If geared too high the transmission would continually downshift at slight load increases thus defeating the purpose of more gears.
My previous car had a 3800-2 (3.8 l) V-6 with plenty of torque available to turn at the1800 RPM at 60 MPH that GM designed it for.
Lets be frank here - regardless of tires / suspension, gears etc - its an economy suv - you start clocking over 100mph and its going to act up - Its great in the real world range / 30-70 mph - just my 1.5 cents

What can it eventually cause do you think, and how soon?
Also, how this issue can be diagnosed without pulling the transmission apart?
This sucks / its that same feeling in the gut when you lose your phone/ keys etc -I heard it - loud and clear - but couldnt discern transmission or not - does it increase or appear only at one speed ?

- I wonder if you could pay for time on a DYNO and get around the thing whlie its turning rpms- under a load - ??? pop the hood etc ??- You might find it !

Last edited:
This sucks / its that same feeling in the gut when you lose your phone/ keys etc -I heard it - loud and clear - but couldnt discern transmission or not - does it increase or appear only at one speed ?

- I wonder if you could pay for time on a DYNO and get around the thing whlie its turning rpms- under a load - ??? pop the hood etc ??- You might find it !
I hear it clearly and it starts after 30-40m/h. If I increase the speed then the tonality of this noise is getting accordingly higher, if I decrease the speed then the tonality of this noise is getting lower. If the speed is constant then the tonality of the whining noise is constant as well.
Basically, it depends on speed only and does not depend on rpm, or gear.

Last edited:
I hear it clearly and it starts after 30-40m/h. If I increase the speed then the tonality of this noise is getting accordingly higher, if I decrease the speed then the tonality of this noise is getting lower. If the speed is constant then the tonality of the whining noise is constant as well.
Dosent make sense -- its a constant -sounds ( not literally ) more like a wheel bearing - a rotating part possibly un-associated with the driveline
-

That is the common mph the noise comes in. You need to run the car in the air on a lift and listen to the trans with a stethoscope. If its the bearing you'll hear it very obviously coming from there. It is vehicle speed dependent vs RPM because the output gear of the transmission goes through it which increases speed with vehicle speed.

Dosent make sense -- its a constant -sounds ( not literally ) more like a wheel bearing - a rotating part possibly un-associated with the driveline
-
This member has exactly the same issue - the first video. In this video, it starts at 50m/h, and this sound is similar to the jet engine.
Make this video louder, and you will hear this noise after 50m/h on the odometer.

Back