2023 CX-5 Turbo Whining Noise

Have had the car for little under a year and recently it’s been starting to make a whining noise while driving. My worry is that the noise is constant and not just on acceleration/deceleration. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4551.mov
    43.1 MB
Sorry, but the noise is not audible on your video. The car is under warranty; take it to the dealer.

Sure, check those DTCs.
The audio file above is of no help, but do have a look here:

Last edited:
I can hear the high-pitch noise.
No idea where it originates from.
I have not noticed it in mine. ('22 Turbo and '17 GT)

Just had a couple trips. I turned off music and tried to listen to this high pitch noise.
Luckily, did not hear anything.

Glad that OP is getting a new transmission.
Please ask the dealer is that is a new one or a refurbished one... I would if I were you.

Have had the car for little under a year and recently it’s been starting to make a whining noise while driving. My worry is that the noise is constant and not just on acceleration/deceleration. Any ideas?
My 23 Turbo has the exact same noise, however a little less loud. So far I've taken it four times to two different dealers and Mazda has deemed it as normal operation. Mine has less miles than yours (10K), but pretty much started noticing it at 1.5k miles when I first took it to the dealer for inspection.

Funny thing is the last time I took it in the mechanic said they put a stethoscope and could hear the noise coming from the transmission, but Mazda's hotline deemed it as normal operation and they will not be replacing anything.
I think Mazda knows about this issue considering previous TSBs, but will only proceed with replacing a transmission on cars with higher mileage as it does not help their reliability ratings.

I am beyond frustrated that they have not fixed mine so far and just shows the poor customer service of Mazda. I'll keep reporting the noise every time I take it in for a service and hopefully they fix it at some point. If not, then will be considering trading it as it very annoying driving around and hearing a high pitched whining noise.

I'm glad you're getting yours sorted!

We just purchased a 2021 CX5 GT Turbo with only 21000Km and I have noticed an annoying high pitch whining noise when accelerating and deceleration. When we test drove it, I mentioned it to the salesman and he said it's probably the fan. Well, it's definitely not the fan. I'm taking it to the dealership to have them access the noise. Not sure if they will do anything, as it sounds like it's a noise that is common from what I've read. I wish I had tinnitus like my husband has. He can't hear the noise at all. I told him he can have the vehicle & I will go back to my Honda Civic turbo with no noise. I will post the results after the appointment in a few weeks from now.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find quite a few people over the years going back to 2014, including me, have had this problem and have had our transmissions replaced under warranty.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find quite a few people over the years going back to 2014, including me, have had this problem and have had our transmissions replaced under warranty.
Ok, thank you. We figured it might be a transmission problem

Maybe it would be a good idea to register a complaint to your Mazda dealer BEFORE powertrain warranty expires. If it should get worse afterward, it might still be covered since you complained about it before the expiration.

The issue is the bearing in these pictures. It goes in the center case of the transmission and splines into the output gear of the transmission and it helps support the geartrain. If any debris gets inside them it can grab the roller surfaces and pit the bearing. Because the transmission output gear is directly supported by the bearing it will make noise as the vehicle speed increases. The bearing is put in place and partially integrated into the surrounding case. There is an aftermarket process that you can sleeve the case and install a new bearing or you purchase a new case half from Mazda.

The first two pictures are the center case where the bearing is, on one side is the output gear, the other is the bearing in the case.

Third picture is the part of the planet the output gear slides over.

Last picture is the bearing itself, pitted rollers and damaged race.

Attachments

• 20231117_120535.jpg
    20231117_120535.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20231117_120609.jpg
    20231117_120609.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20231117_120709.jpg
    20231117_120709.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20231023_121518.jpg
    20231023_121518.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20231023_121509.jpg
    20231023_121509.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 71
The issue is the bearing in these pictures. It goes in the center case of the transmission and splines into the output gear of the transmission and it helps support the geartrain. If any debris gets inside them it can grab the roller surfaces and pit the bearing. Because the transmission output gear is directly supported by the bearing it will make noise as the vehicle speed increases. The bearing is put in place and partially integrated into the surrounding case. There is an aftermarket process that you can sleeve the case and install a new bearing or you purchase a new case half from Mazda.

The first two pictures are the center case where the bearing is, on one side is the output gear, the other is the bearing in the case.

Third picture is the part of the planet the output gear slides over.

Last picture is the bearing itself, pitted rollers and damaged race.
Hence why it is they replace the entire trans and don't do a repair. So, basically can happen to anyone with this transmission, doesn't matter what year?

I am a proponent of changing fluids in vehicles, personally I like every 30- 40k miles if you plan on keeping the car. The clutches used in the Skyactivs make a fair amount of debris because of the high carbon content in some of the clutch sets. I'm seeing valve body wear more common in the Skys lately causing failure and fluid is cheaper than an overhaul.

I am a proponent of changing fluids in vehicles, personally I like every 30- 40k miles if you plan on keeping the car. The clutches used in the Skyactivs make a fair amount of debris because of the high carbon content in some of the clutch sets. I'm seeing valve body wear more common in the Skys lately causing failure and fluid is cheaper than an overhaul.
With regular (30-40K) fluid changes, is it necessary to change the filter or does the filter just catch the bigger particles. If filter change makes a big difference then at what mileage would you consider to be the maximum.

Back