2019 CX-5 Details

I’m with unob. The 2.5T would complete the package. When I had that X3 while our CX-5 was getting fixed from the door dent the biggest thing I liked about it (aside from wireless CarPlay) was the power. In a lot of other ways I do think the CX-5 is competitive.

Meh. Until they do something about that fugly overhang of a hood and chrome, I'll keep my 2014.

I'll admit 2.5T does sound intriguing, but I'd want it in a CX-5 that looks like mine. Hmm...wonder if Chris ever did his Turbo...

2.5L G Turbo - 2019 CX5

⋯ One of the big selling points for me was MPG on this car, so adding in the Turbo while the speed and torque upgrades are nice, its not nice at the expense of MPG.
For 2018 Mazda6 the EPA fuel economy estimates have dropped from 29/26/35 to 26/23/31 combined/city/hwy for a 2.5T. Do you really want similar or worse drops on fuel economy for a 2.5T CX-5?

I believe Mazda should add turbo on its SkyActiv-G 2.0L for better fuel efficient, but still gets similar of a little less power. 2.5L I4 is too big to make it a turbo for the most compact vehicle applications.

Meh. Until they do something about that fugly overhang of a hood and chrome, I'll keep my 2014.

I'll admit 2.5T does sound intriguing, but I'd want it in a CX-5 that looks like mine. Hmm...wonder if Chris ever did his Turbo...

Honestly with some of the aftermarket front bumper online (japan) I wouldn't be adverse to getting a KF cx-5 now. I would get a diesel though, not a 2.5T. Getit tuned by OVtune, remove the DPFnannies and roal coal out of the car meet while spinning all four wheels lol.

I still have a prototype for a top mount that's ready to install, however I need to make a downpipe still and for any type of long term run I'd need to plumb the DP into my existing midpipe. Living in an APT now limits my fab ability for that type of thing and also I need my car to be as reliable as possible right now. The other issue is I have a Mitsubishi ECU which is not good for boost tuning. So ideally I'd need to get a Denso ecu from a 2016 or maybe find a late model 15 which might have one, then get the engine immobilizer passed at the dealer or through tuning.. Honestly anyone wanting a turbo that has a Denso ecu is ready to go.. even better if you have the 2.0L.

Here is an old pic of the primary assembly. This is everything to connect the turbo to the engine minus the oil/coolant lines to the turboh and the downpipe to direct the exhaust. Looks janky but it's painted and partially wrapped now.

ngfOnm4.jpg

For 2018 Mazda6 the EPA fuel economy estimates have dropped from 29/26/35 to 26/23/31 combined/city/hwy for a 2.5T. Do you really want similar or worse drops on fuel economy for a 2.5T CX-5?

I believe Mazda should add turbo on its SkyActiv-G 2.0L for better fuel efficient, but still gets similar of a little less power. 2.5L I4 is too big to make it a turbo for the most compact vehicle applications.

Yes for those who want the extra power. I feel they should offer both engines on the upper trim levels similar to what Ford does with the Escape.

Unless Mazda starts to rethink their marketing strategy, the 6 will continue to be ignored by most shoppers.
It's sad really, and I said as much to my dealer when I bought my 2017 Mazda 6 last fall.
I just don't get why this company doesn't promote the 6.
I have never seen an ad for this car, not on TV, in magazines, the internet, not anywhere.
I drove to Florida and back this winter in my new 6, and made a point of observing which Mazda models I saw on the interstates, etc.
I didn't see a single 6 on the highways, there and back. Mine was the only one.
Mazda could put a v10 in that car, with AWD, and still no-one would buy it, because no-one would know it exists.
People shopping and buying Camry's have no idea that the 2018 Mazda 6 can be had with a turbo. No idea.
C'mon Mazda, get your s*** together on this car.

I just bought my CX-5 last night. I seriously almost switched to the 6 at the last minute. But I really need AWD where I live.

No it wouldn't. The brakes in the CX5 now are plenty adequate. Same for the suspension. The top end of the spectrum (speed) is what requires more brakes, and the CX5 won't really need that bumped. The suspension is fine, it can handle being loaded up with 300+ pounds of torque as we can see from the diesel. Same for the transmission, mounting, diffs, etc. We know the system can handle the 2.5T's output because drivelines "see" torque, not horsepower. Also, why would it need lowering?

CX-5 brakes are weak, something I noticed straight away moving from a T31 Xtrail, which also had ventilated front and rear discs. And not on the same planet as my 1999 Audi.
Suspension isn't really up to taking the cornering speeds that 250hp can give, my car leans and is nowhere near a normal type car that is lower to start with.

I didn't mention the transmission?

Sport or high powered cars are usually lowered for obvious reasons, along with stiffer suspension.

Didn't Dave Coleman do an interview where he talked about the KF being designed with the ability to take the 2.5T engine in it? There was no word from Mazda whether the engine would ever find its way into the CX-5 but they at least wanted that option available to them.

as for the 6, I think mazda is upgrading it because it plays well into their current strategy to move upstream towards more a more luxury brand. Ford's announcement reinforces Mazda's strategy in that your average consumer isn't buying sedans but people willing to spend a bit more are. Which is why Acura, lexus, Infinity still all have sedans.

I actually do think the 2.5T will find it's way into the CX-5 until Mazda is ready to put a SkyActiv X in it.

The brakes are fine. I do notice they don’t initially grab as much as some other cars I’ve driven. Just press harder on the pedal. The abs kicks in if you stomp and at this point the limit on how fast you stop is tires. The advantage of larger brakes with more ventilation would be to resist fade with repeated hard braking. I don’t think putting the 2.5T in there means they must upgrade. However I do agree with you that the brake feel could stand some improvement.

Bring a 6 Wagon AWD 2.5T ...and I am first inline. The only reason I go for an SUV, is I need boot space, there is almost no wagon on the US-Can market while there are plenty in EU. I really do not understand the lack of love for Wagons. I had a WRX wagon and loved it.

Bring a 6 Wagon AWD 2.5T ...and I am first inline. The only reason I go for an SUV, is I need boot space, there is almost no wagon on the US-Can market while there are plenty in EU. I really do not understand the lack of love for Wagons. I had a WRX wagon and loved it.

The upcoming CX-X might be what you are looking for but that’s a few years off.

The brakes are fine. I do notice they don’t initially grab as much as some other cars I’ve driven. Just press harder on the pedal. The abs kicks in if you stomp and at this point the limit on how fast you stop is tires. The advantage of larger brakes with more ventilation would be to resist fade with repeated hard braking. I don’t think putting the 2.5T in there means they must upgrade. However I do agree with you that the brake feel could stand some improvement.

I've only ever had the ABS cut in on ice, don't forget the diesel is heavier than the petrol, and relies on a brake vacuum pump. We also get summer tyres in the UK.
My car is also still giving embarrassing brake squeal after two years, despite two dealers saying they are fine, thankfully they don't squeal all the time.

Hmm so the brake assist is weaker on the diesel?

I know with this car it does seem like you need to use more force with the brake pedal when you need to stop quickly but it’s never failed to stop quickly enough. That’s why I would say feel could use improvement as I’d prefer it to be more responsive. Reviewers typically note this as well here in NA.

I don’t think it would be that difficult for them to upgrade the brakes though. Now that I think of it the 2.0T Escapes do get upgraded brakes over the base.

I know but I saw this on the JD Powers review of the CX-5:

"Nearly half (43%) of compact SUV buyers agree that, to them, a vehicle is just a way of getting from place to place, yet 66% agree that they like a vehicle that stands out from the crowd, and 88% agree that they like a vehicle that offers responsive handling and powerful acceleration. Most (79%) also agree that they will pay extra to ensure that their vehicle has the latest safety features."

So people who buy these cars want good power and handling.

Yes but since the sales are going well, there is no real incentive for them to spend all that extra $$$ trying to get the 2.5T into the current shape CX-5. The next generation is not that far away.

If they were going to add it, they would have done so when the KF came out in 2016/2017.

Maybe they might do it as a last hurrah just before the next generation with SkyAtiv-X arrives. But I don't see them doing this.

Again hope I am wrong.

Yes but since the sales are going well, there is no real incentive for them to spend all that extra $$$ trying to get the 2.5T into the current shape CX-5. The next generation is not that far away.

If they were going to add it, they would have done so when the KF came out in 2016/2017.

Maybe they might do it as a last hurrah just before the next generation with SkyAtiv-X arrives. But I don't see them doing this.

Again hope I am wrong.

It should drop right in..... wouldn’t cost a lot. Just need to certify it would be the main cost.

Didn't Dave Coleman do an interview where he talked about the KF being designed with the ability to take the 2.5T engine in it? There was no word from Mazda whether the engine would ever find its way into the CX-5 but they at least wanted that option available to them.

as for the 6, I think mazda is upgrading it because it plays well into their current strategy to move upstream towards more a more luxury brand. Ford's announcement reinforces Mazda's strategy in that your average consumer isn't buying sedans but people willing to spend a bit more are. Which is why Acura, lexus, Infinity still all have sedans.

I actually do think the 2.5T will find it's way into the CX-5 until Mazda is ready to put a SkyActiv X in it.

He shook his head and made a cryptic comment

Wasn't it posted somewhere that to get the 2.5T into the current CX-5 has the same issues as getting the AWD system to be added to the 2.5T Mazda 6 (uhm) AKA the current design/space can't handle both bits (2.5T+AWD) bearing in mind that the CX-5 & 6 platforms are very similar (scratch)

IMO you would be better off with the bigger diesel CX-5's front brakes (297mm vs 320mm)

No he said it fits in the same space. The 6 is a shorter vehicle than the CX-5. There is definitely less vertical space which would appear to be the problem for the AWD on that car.

No he said it fits in the same space. The 6 is a shorter vehicle than the CX-5. There is definitely less vertical space which would appear to be the problem for the AWD on that car.

Did you mean the engine bay (scratch)

6 shorter vehicle length wise (uhm) No it isn't.

Length:
6: 4865mm
CX-5: 4550mm

Wheelbase:
6: 2830mm
CX-5: 2700mm

Wonder how much space is needed to drop 2.5T and its plumbing into CX-5 AWD.

(hmm)

Back