2018 CX5 vs 2018 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
monty- ex GF had a 2nd gen MR2... but not the turbo (tho i wish). fun little car.

Nice..sure was!..and tho she won't admit it i say that car had a lil something to do with her initial interest in me back in the late 90s and I was ok w/that;)

I drove the CRV. I'm the only one here that doesn't hate CVT. I also love turbo chargers. I didn't hate the CVT. I just hated the looks.
Then I went to test drive a Crosstrek. Didn't when she told me it only had 148 HP.
Test drove a 17 Cherokee. It came down to that and the Mazda. The Cherokee had stuff the Mazda didn't, at the time: heated steering wheel, rear hear vents, reclining rear seats.
But I couldn't shake the Mazda. Spent 2 weeks trying to make up my mind. Finally, a coworker that I was talking to said to me "yeah, the Jeep has more bells and whistles. But I can hear it in your voice: you're just looking for a reason to not buy it because your head says Jeep. Your heart says Mazda." It was an epiphany. She was right. Hence my comment above.
Having driven the Cherokee a lot (my mom's 17 is in the driveway right now, as a matter of fact) I made the right choice.
Re: storage. I've never once not had enough.

Wife hated the Crv too. "It's a soccer mom car". Do you want to drive a soccer mom car, or do you want people to look at your car and say "wow, that's gorgeous! What is it?". Mm-hm. Case rested. [emoji106]

Dealer called me as said:

A dealer contacted me and they have a new 2017 CX5 Touring AWD:
$1k down (lease)
$330 a month for 36 months

The only difference in 2017 vs 2018 models is that the 2018's have cylinder deactivation, right?

Dealer called me as said:

A dealer contacted me and they have a new 2017 CX5 Touring AWD:
$1k down (lease)
$330 a month for 36 months

The only difference in 2017 vs 2018 models is that the 2018's have cylinder deactivation, right?

The 2018 Touring comes with 19 inch wheels as opposed to the 2017 that have 17". The 2018 touring might also have auto up and down for all four windows, the 2017 is just the driver.

2018 Honda CRV
0-60mph = 7.9 sec
1/4 mile = 15.8 @ 88mph
Lateral = 0.79
Cargo = 75.8
Towing = 1,500 lbs

2018 Mazda CX5
0-60mph = 8.1 sec
1/4 mile = 16.3 @ 85mph
Lateral = 0.82
Cargo = 59.6
Towing = 2,000 lbs

No doubt the CX5 has much less storage than the CRV. It's also a little slower, not by much but still slower. The CX5 does handle better.

Depends what you want to use your CUV for. If you want to tow, the CX-5 is better. If you want it to go to 60mph as fast as possible, the CR-V is quicker by 0.2 seconds (if that matters). Cargo space the CX-5 actually has more room if comparing both with the rear seats folded down. As for other comparisons, the other forum members have covered it. Not sure about the safety tech on US specs but here in Oz, safety tech in CR-V only available on the top spec whereas CX-5 safety techs standard from base level up. Both are solid vehicles. Take them for a drive on different types of roads, follow your gut instincts and see which you prefer.

These small turbo motors seem to deliver poor fuel economy in real-life driving. I remember perusing a Nissan Juke forum a while back and reading comments of people getting 20~22 mpg.]

I can add my anecdote to that. When I first moved here, I had a 2004 Subaru Forester turbo with a 5 speed manual. It was the first year they sold them. It would get about 20 around town, 27 on the highway, and 22-24 combined. That's actually a little better than I'm getting with my [not broken in] CX-5.

The difference was, that sucker scooted to 60 in 5.3 sec [according to C&D]. Talk about a stealth fighter. Most fun car I ever had, after I added anti-sway bars. It could snap your head back in 3rd. (bolt)

... Not sure about the safety tech on US specs but here in Oz, safety tech in CR-V only available on the top spec whereas CX-5 safety techs standard from base level up...

IIRC, in U.S., Honda Sensing is available on mid-level 18 CRV trims, but blind spot (BSIS?) is only available on the top trim. Deal breaker for me. CX-5 can get all but heads-up on Touring.

I can add my anecdote to that. When I first moved here, I had a 2004 Subaru Forester turbo with a 5 speed manual. It was the first year they sold them. It would get about 20 around town, 27 on the highway, and 22-24 combined. That's actually a little better than I'm getting with my [not broken in] CX-5.

The difference was, that sucker scooted to 60 in 5.3 sec [according to C&D]. Talk about a stealth fighter. Most fun car I ever had, after I added anti-sway bars. It could snap your head back in 3rd. (bolt)

On fuelly, the CR-V has this:

Based on data from 276 vehicles, 5,695 fuel-ups and 1,595,256 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda CR-V gets a combined Avg MPG of 27.97 with a 0.11 MPG margin of error.

That is not bad.

We have had a 2013 BMW X5 diesel and a 2016 Audit SQ5 prior to purchasing our 2017 Cx5. We extensively test drove the CRV wanting to like it. It felt way too appliance like and my wife hated the way it drove. The CX5 has a fair amount of the solid feeling and character of our previous German rides at a fraction of the cost. It really is a step above in refinement in the class. Could it use more power, absolutely. But the transmission responsiveness makes up for it and it feels quite peppy. I do miss the 354 HP from the Audi though!

If i had to have just one..that sq5 would be on the short list..how was mileage on it vs x5 diesel?

"The CX5 is the car you want while the the CRV is the car you need "
Saw that in an article somewhere.

Anyway, visually you could easily slap minivan sliding doors on the CRV. CX5, not so much.

I'll also say that one of the main reasons I bought my CX5 is because of its size. I simply didn't want anything any bigger.

If i had to have just one..that sq5 would be on the short list..how was mileage on it vs x5 diesel?
The SQ5 was mine while the wife had the X5. I put 22K miles on it for the year I owned it. It was my first automatic car and I grew to hate it. The trans did not mate well with the awesome engine. I averaged low 20's, mostly highway. The X5 was also low 20's, but all city driving by my wife. On road trips, the X5 would achieve very high 20's. I sold the SQ5 for a 2017 VW GTI Sport 6 speed manual. Much happier!

I am torn between the 2018 Mazda CX5 and the 2018 Honda CRV. ⋯
I will be doing a lease deal and so far the lease deals are coming in identical to the CX5 (AWD) and the CRV (AWD). Around $390 per month for 3 years.
3-year lease? Any reliability talks on turbo、CVT、cylinder deactivation are out of the window!

Torn between 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD and 2018 Honda CR-V Touring AWD? Its easy to decide! If you want more features for the money and a little better MPG, its Honda CR-V. If you want better handling and a little quieter cabin, its Mazda CX-5.

These features from 2018 Honda CR-V Touring are not found on 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT:
Remote engine start
Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
Driver's seat with 12-way power adjustment, including 4-way power lumbar support (my favorite!)
HondaLink
Apple CarPlay、Android Auto integration
One of the two front USB ports is rated 1.5A and two rear USB ports are rated 2.5A (for faster charging)
Hands-free access power tailgate
3 interior color choices including gray
Retractable cargo area cover
Roof rails
Capless fuel filler (not impressed)

These features from 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT are not found on 2018 Honda CR-V Touring:
Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
6-way power passengers seat
40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback
Auto-up/down on rear passenger's power windows

If we added optional GT Premium Package to CX-5:
Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Windshield wiper de-icer

I have to list cargo space here as someone claimed the CX-5 actually has more room if comparing both with the rear seats folded down!

Cargo Volume:
2018 Honda CR-V: 39.2 / 75.8 cu. ft. (2nd-row seatback up / down)
2018 Mazda CX-5: 30.9 / 59.6 cu. ft. (2nd-row seatback up / down)

Safety Ratings:
Honda CR-V: NHTSA 5 Stars; IIHS Top Safety Pick
Mazda CX-5: NHTSA 4 Stars; IIHS Top Safety Pick

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings:
Honda CR-V 1.5L AWD: 29 (27/33)MPG Combined (City/Highway)
Mazda CX-5 2.5L AWD: 26 (24/30)MPG Combined (City/Highway)

As far as safety and driver-assistive technologies both are about equal as 2018 Honda CR-V has Honda Sensing suite which includes Blind Spot Information System (BSI)、Cross Traffic Monitor、Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)、Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBSTM)、Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow、Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)、etc. which basically equivalent to Mazdas i-ActivSense Technology Package.

CRV vs CX5 cargo volume

The "official" cargo volume figures are somewhat misleading. On paper, the CRV has more cargo room then the CX5.

But as far as I can tell, these figures reflect the volume available from the load floor to the top of the vehicle. If you compare what I consider volume, the space behind the second row seats from the load floor to the lower edge of the windows, the two vehicles are almost identical. the area behind the second row seats is roughly 31x41 inches on the CRV; 31x40 inches on the CX5. Unless you're likely to fill your car up past the windows, the difference in volume is negligible.

3-year lease? Any reliability talks on turbo、CVT、cylinder deactivation are out of the window!

Torn between 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD and 2018 Honda CR-V Touring AWD? It’s easy to decide! If you want more features for the money and a little better MPG, it’s Honda CR-V. If you want better handling and a little quieter cabin, it’s Mazda CX-5.

These features from 2018 Honda CR-V Touring are not found on 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT:
• Remote engine start
• Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
• Driver's seat with 12-way power adjustment, including 4-way power lumbar support (my favorite!)
• HondaLink
• Apple CarPlay™、Android Auto™ integration
• One of the two front USB ports is rated 1.5A and two rear USB ports are rated 2.5A (for faster charging)
• Hands-free access power tailgate
• 3 interior color choices including gray
• Retractable cargo area cover
• Roof rails
• Capless fuel filler (not impressed)

These features from 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT are not found on 2018 Honda CR-V Touring:
• Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
6-way power passenger’s seat
• 40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback
• Auto-up/down on rear passenger's power windows

• Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition
• Heated rear seats
• Heated steering wheel
• Windshield wiper de-icer

I have to list cargo space here as someone claimed “the CX-5 actually has more room if comparing both with the rear seats folded down”!

Cargo Volume:

Safety Ratings:

As far as safety and driver-assistive technologies both are about equal as 2018 Honda CR-V has Honda Sensing suite which includes Blind Spot Information System (BSI)、Cross Traffic Monitor、Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)、Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBSTM)、Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow、Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)、etc. which basically equivalent to Mazda’s i-ActivSense Technology Package.

For me - the deal-breaker: CRV has integrated traffic.

The SQ5 was mine while the wife had the X5. I put 22K miles on it for the year I owned it. It was my first automatic car and I grew to hate it. The trans did not mate well with the awesome engine. I averaged low 20's, mostly highway. The X5 was also low 20's, but all city driving by my wife. On road trips, the X5 would achieve very high 20's. I sold the SQ5 for a 2017 VW GTI Sport 6 speed manual. Much happier!

Believe me I get the 'its gotta have a manual' thing but surprised you grew to hate the SQ...GTI is fine, great bang for $, but did you drive/consider the golf R manual?

Torn between 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD and 2018 Honda CR-V Touring AWD? It’s easy to decide! If you want more features for the money and a little better MPG, it’s Honda CR-V. If you want better handling and a little quieter cabin, it’s Mazda CX-5.

• Remote engine start
• Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
• Driver's seat with 12-way power adjustment, including 4-way power lumbar support (my favorite!)
• HondaLink
• Apple CarPlay™、Android Auto™ integration
• One of the two front USB ports is rated 1.5A and two rear USB ports are rated 2.5A (for faster charging)
• Hands-free access power tailgate
• 3 interior color choices including gray
• Retractable cargo area cover
• Roof rails
• Capless fuel filler (not impressed)

• Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
6-way power passenger’s seat
• 40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback
• Auto-up/down on rear passenger's power windows

• Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition
• Heated rear seats
• Heated steering wheel
• Windshield wiper de-icer

I have to list cargo space here as someone claimed “the CX-5 actually has more room if comparing both with the rear seats folded down”!

Cargo Volume:

Safety Ratings:

As far as safety and driver-assistive technologies both are about equal as 2018 Honda CR-V has Honda Sensing suite which includes Blind Spot Information System (BSI)、Cross Traffic Monitor、Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)、Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBSTM)、Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow、Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)、etc. which basically equivalent to Mazda’s i-ActivSense Technology Package.

You forgot to add that the CX-5 comes standard with an excellent 6-speed automatic transmission that is universally praised by everyone.

You forgot to add that the CX-5 comes standard with an excellent 6-speed automatic transmission that is universally praised by everyone.

Except CR-V owners, unless they also own a CX-5 (lol2)

Otherwise, very true statement.

Last edited:
and I may have missed it, I admit Yrwei I skimmed your wall of text, so please don't persecute me if I am wrong. That was a good write up. But I did not see you mention the HUD?
Did I just miss it?
That's a huge deal when not ONE competitor offers that.
I'm guessing they will soon. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back