2018 CX5 vs 2018 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^same thing on my mom's friends 2014 Altima just out of powertrain coverage (on mileage)- ~5k but he's bought many a Nissan there so they did the right thing but anyway..not Hondas but not just smoke

The CVT kicking the bucket in my 2011 Nissan Rogue and the accompanying $5000 repair bill is the reason I'm in a 2017 CX-5.

The only conclusion you can make from that is that your wife's Nissan CVT failed, as stated. It implies nothing about CVTs in general. It's an anecdote. Perhaps Nissan's design had problems. Or perhaps you were unlucky. [I will not comment on Nissan in general, but some might.]

Can anyone point to documentation that shows that CVTs are failing at an abnormal rate?

Lots of people hate them for how they respond and how they sound, but that's unrelated to reliability.

Can anyone point to documentation that shows that CVTs are failing at an abnormal rate?

Lots of people hate them for how they respond and how they sound, but that's unrelated to reliability.

Honda is known to make probably the best CVTs....only 3 years ago they had a recall https://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-recalling-143000-civic-and-fit-models-for-cvt-trouble/

Oct 1, 2015 - TORRANCE, Calif.
Honda will voluntarily recall approximately 143,000 model-year 2014-2015 Civic and 2015 Fit vehicles in the United States to update the software that manages the continuously variable transmission (CVT), free of charge. Affected vehicles have CVT control software that is written to use high hydraulic pressure during certain CVT operation modes, which as a result may subject the drive pulley shaft to high stress. In addition, during manufacturing of the drive pulley shaft, some parts may have been produced at the low end of the hardness specification. If shafts with lower hardness are repeatedly subjected to the specific high hydraulic pressure modes, it may result in the shaft breaking during operation. If the drive pulley shaft breaks, the vehicle may lose acceleration or the front wheels may lock up while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this issue, which was discovered through the warranty claim process in the United States.

Honda is announcing this recall to encourage each owner of an affected vehicle to take it to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Mailed notification to customers will begin in mid-October, 2015. Additionally, owners of these vehicles can determine if their vehicles require repair now by going to www.recalls.honda.com or by calling (888) 234-2138.

The only conclusion you can make from that is that your wife's Nissan CVT failed, as stated. It implies nothing about CVTs in general. It's an anecdote. Perhaps Nissan's design had problems. Or perhaps you were unlucky. [I will not comment on Nissan in general, but some might.]

Nissan had to extend their power train warranties out to 100k due to the CVT failures. Companies don't do this because its a financially sound idea.

However, I'm sure the later designs are more reliable.

Last edited:
I am torn between the 2018 Mazda CX5 and the 2018 Honda CRV. I own a 2016 CX5 but I am selling it. I love Mazda but the 2018 CRV has really upped the game and even Motor Trend gave it the CRV of the year award, beating out the CX5.

You should take Motor Trend with a grain of salt. Bunch of dorks IMHO. If you want another, more valuable perspective [to me at least, consistently] see what Car and Driver has to say.

In any case, extensive test drives under conditions that you will experience is essential. "Which is the better CUV" depends on YOU.

And if you're leasing, you don't need to care about long term reliability. Short term, however, could make a big difference. Warranty repairs are no more fun than out of warranty, just less expensive.

If that's what you believe then its a no brainer isn't it, buy the CRV.
I've always believed from what I've seen that the Crv uses better quality materials, and has an excellent record for reliability.

Only reason I don't drive one is the engine choice in the UK does not compete with the CX-5 diesel, in power or torque.

I am torn between the 2018 Mazda CX5 and the 2018 Honda CRV. I own a 2016 CX5 but I am selling it. I love Mazda but the 2018 CRV has really upped the game and even Motor Trend gave it the CRV of the year award, beating out the CX5.

The CX5 looks better , but the CRV is faster, has more interior room, gets better MPG, has better Infotainment system, and Honda does have a better long-term reliability than Mazda. Not that Mazda is bad but Honda is a little better.

I will be doing a lease deal and so far the lease deals are coming in identical to the CX5 (AWD) and the CRV (AWD). Around $390 per month for 3 years.

I know this is a Mazda forum but which is the better CUV?

Nissan had to extend their power train warranties out to 100k due to the CVT failures. Companies don't do this because its a financially sound idea.

However, I'm sure the later designs are more reliable.

Right, Subaru did, too. But I would think that extending the warranty shows their confidence in the CVTs. This is basically a PR move responding to complaints. One complainer makes far more noise than 100 satisfied customers.

Honda recalled the software, not the CVT itself. There are bound to be adjustments necessary to any new system. The later designs will inevitably be more reliable than the early ones.

And it's not like conventional ATs never fail. I just don't think CVT reliability in a new vehicle should be a deciding factor. If you hate the way CVTs feel, that's what matters.

Just reading your first post? CRV.
Or do you want us to talk you out of it because you REALLY like the CX-5 more? LOL
;)

I am NOT a fan of the CVT transmission. I drove a Toyota with one and I HATED it. I also drove a Nissan with one and hated it ever more. It feels like the trans is slipping and when the RPMs just sit there when under WOT, it's weird to me.

The CRV supposedly has a better version. Not sure. Haven't tested it yet.

A dealer contacted me and they have a new 2017 CX5 Touring AWD:
$1k down (lease)
$330 a month for 36 months

Does the 2017 CX5 have the acoustical front glass and better sound proofing?

Will the tow hitch from a 2016 fit a 2017 CX5?

Yes the '17 CX-5 has the better sound proofing, etc.

No idea on tow hitch.

It's quieter than the CR-V, and considerably quieter than first gen CX-5.

From ArsTechnica:

CX-5-NVH-graph.jpg

I am NOT a fan of the CVT transmission. I drove a Toyota with one and I HATED it. I also drove a Nissan with one and hated it ever more. It feels like the trans is slipping and when the RPMs just sit there when under WOT, it's weird to me.

The CRV supposedly has a better version. Not sure. Haven't tested it yet.

It's not gonna be better enough. You hate CVTs, and always will. No way to get around it. They're not gonna change that much.

Get the Mazda. You'll love it.

But DO drive them both first.

There is no best or better, that depends on the needs and wants of the individual.

Check out the BobistheOilGuy forums as well as the CRV forums. The 1.5 Earth Dreams Engine is very susceptible to fuel dilution of the oil. Most GDI engines have this issue but with turbo GDI it is exacerbated. LSPI is a well known phenomenon. Most posters there concur that 5000 mile oil change intervals are necessary.

Drive both and pick the one you want. Just be sure you know what the negatives are for each vehicle as well as the positives.

Went thru this whole process 7 months ago.

CR-V: Not as quiet. Better arm rest. Interior not as nice. Volume slider on steering wheel sucks. Slightly more leg room. More cargo because it's deeper. Lower load height. More expensive (Honda wouldn't deal much). CVT noisy when getting on it.

CX-5: Very quiet. Not as quick. No AA/CP. No remote start. Handles well. Nice HUD. Passenger seat more adjustable.

In the end if the Honda was the same price as the CX-5 I might have been driving one, but the CX-5 was almost 2k less.

In making the same decision on the 2017 CX-5 VS CRV. It came down to use of infotainment, the CR-V felt clunky and not intuitive, way to many buttons,etc. CX-5 (GT) sound system blew away CRV. Most Importantly the CX-5 was just more fun to drive. Go with your gut and don't sweat it too much...

To the OP, I try to shy away from these echo-chamber confirmation bias discussions, but I was also considering a CR-V vs. a CX-5 and wanted to share my reasons for going with the CX-5.

What drove me away from the CR-V:

1) CVT transmission. As previously mentioned the CVT transmission on my 2011 Rogue died and the repair quote was $5000 which made the car a write-off for us. As was pointed out, maybe I was unlucky or maybe this is a Nissan issue. Either way, once bitten twice shy. I will say I never minded how the CVT transmission drove.

2) Small displacement turbo engine. These small turbo motors seem to deliver poor fuel economy in real-life driving. I remember perusing a Nissan Juke forum a while back and reading comments of people getting 20~22 mpg. I just came across this article just now from Motortrend with a quick Google.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-honda-cr-v-disappoints-in-real-mpg-city-results-exceeds-epa-highway-rating/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back