2018 CX5: Diesel or Gas?

In our area Diesel is almost 30% more expensive than 87 octane gasoline, and our 2018 Touring AWD is getting close to 30 mpg. Do you think the diesel will achieve 39-40mpg? I don't. I'm sticking with proven gasoline skyactiv-G motors. The new one with all the revisions is great, quiet, peppy, and I absolutely cannot tell when it goes into Cyl Deactivation

Youre doubting that a well engjneered diesel motor can get 40mpg?
Even if it doesn't get 40mpg, which it will, I think you are forgetting that the diesel is Making almost twice as much torque as the gasoline version. Don't be wrong, I love my 2.5L gas motor but diesel is a great thing.

In your case, I think it's best to buy something that holds its value well like a Toyota or lexus. The Mazda cx-5 diesel would also be at the top of my list.

Yes, here in Toronto there is a 20% difference between 87 and 91. However I have noticed absolutely zero benefits using premium fuel blended with 10% ethanol. I noticed substantial savings with The Canadian shell 91 fuel we have here... I'm saving about 2-3$ a tank, getting better r performance and efffiency just for choosing to pay a premium for ethanol free at the pump. It's worth it in a car that requires premium or even just recommends it.

Yes, the cx5 diesel followed by the Lexus are on the top of my list now
But for the Lexus I still can't decide between the RX350 and the RX450H (if I buy a Lexus I may keep it for 6 years)
Since you live in Toronto you will understand what's my driving style since I live in Mississauga and work in Guelph, one way is 35k on hwy, 20k on city
Yes I understand that the RX450h will not make big difference (b4 shooting my nonesense again (enguard) )
But also the resale value of the RX350 in 6 years will be hit more when there's almost no gas cars on streets
Also there's no guarantee that I may switch jobs 2 years from now

Yes, the cx5 diesel followed by the Lexus are on the top of my list now
But for the Lexus I still can't decide between the RX350 and the RX450H (if I buy a Lexus I may keep it for 6 years)
Since you live in Toronto you will understand what's my driving style since I live in Mississauga and work in Guelph, one way is 35k on hwy, 20k on city
Yes I understand that the RX450h will not make big difference (b4 shooting my nonesense again (enguard) )
But also the resale value of the RX350 in 6 years will be hit more when there's almost no gas cars on streets
Also there's no guarantee that I may switch jobs 2 years from now

Wow, that is one hell of a commute! I think I would be purchasing a sedan or wagon for a commute like that, better highway manners. A BMW 535d would be lovely. My 5 series is one of the best cars I have ever driven on the highway.

Me personally, I think I'd go for the rx350. I just don't trust hybrid tech and Gasoline will be popular for longer than you think. But then again, you don't need all that power so maybe a cx-5 diesel is a better choice for you? Have you considered a sedan?

In our area Diesel is almost 30% more expensive than 87 octane gasoline, and our 2018 Touring AWD is getting close to 30 mpg. Do you think the diesel will achieve 39-40mpg? I don't. I'm sticking with proven gasoline skyactiv-G motors. The new one with all the revisions is great, quiet, peppy, and I absolutely cannot tell when it goes into Cyl Deactivation
Exactly, you hit the nerve with your reply
In my area, diesel is the same price as diesel most of the time, so now I's save 20% on gas
But with politicians controlling our future, it can be 30% more next year as in your area
And they can make it 100% more in 3 years if they want

I currently have a 2015 C5 GT and my plan is to replace it by April
Now it's the time to shop for the best car for my needs

I'm looking for the car the gives me the best value for money (my top budget is $80k CAD)
Luxurious cars (Mercedes, Porsche, BMW ...) are great, but I don't see any of them give value for money other than the Lexus for its reliability

Also because I drive 2800 km monthly (70% hwy, 30% city) I'm looking for the best in fuel consumption, specially of hwy
I checked the Lexus RX350, I like everything about it ( the grill look doesn't bother me (doh) ) but I didn't like the mpg
I checked the RX450H, great car, fuel consumption is good, but as I drive 70% hwy fuel saving isn't that good for me to pay extra $15k !!
Price difference between the RX350 and RX450H is a nonesense when it's the same car to save a couple of hundreds on gas every year

I looked at the 2018 CX5 diesel video on youtube, posted on the last couple of days by a Japanese smart guy, I liked it and start thinking about having another cx5

Still need clarification on some points:
- I don't like cylinder deactivation which is forced on us on all 208 gas models, I don't want to save on 1mpg and pay more on maintenance later on
Is it also forced on the diesel model?
- For Canadian winter driving, is diesel an issue?
- What's the future of diesel? Is it possible 3 years from now that government add taxes that make diesel twice the gas price? World have crazy politician who can implement what they want
- Would I have a problem selling/trading my cx5 diesel 4 years from now

I haven't decided yet which car I'll go with (Mazda or other) and which fuel (Diesel, gas, hybrid, Plug-in . or even hydrogen (wiggle) ) and I still have 4 months to decide(screwy)

And I guess that many are in my situation , specially when politics now affect our new car decision
So we can help each other reaching the right decision .. or sink further (hahaspit)

Cylinder deactivation is only on petrol (gas model). I won't comment on peoples aversion to cylinder deactivation as I have spoken about it quite a bit in other threads.

As for owning a diesel, you need to weigh up whether you do enough mileage to justify it.

Over here in Oz land, generally speaking the recommendation is to go with gas models for urban driving because the fuel savings don't justify the extra purchase price of a diesel and you would need to own it long term to see the true savings.

Diesel is recommended primarily if you are going to be regularly towing something or if you are doing lots of highway/freeway/motorway driving. DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) has come along way since the first iteration in the Mazda diesel engine but it's still (and happy to be corrected) better performing on longer trips with the engine properly warmed up and functioning rather than urban short distance driving.

Wow, that is one hell of a commute! I think I would be purchasing a sedan or wagon for a commute like that, better highway manners. A BMW 535d would be lovely. My 5 series is one of the best cars I have ever driven on the highway.

Me personally, I think I'd go for the rx350. I just don't trust hybrid tech and Gasoline will be popular for longer than you think. But then again, you don't need all that power so maybe a cx-5 diesel is a better choice for you? Have you considered a sedan?

Yes, I considered a sedan for the reasons that you mentioned, but as you know how's our winter and safey comes before any other factor whn I drive that distance:
- AWD : available in SUV and sedan
- Winter tires: Available on SUV and sedan
- Drivers high position: Only SUV!
you don't understand this factor unless you drive an SUV for sometime and go back to sedan
it gives you a longer view of the road and you can anticipate things before it happens, specially with the many crazy drivers on the roads
- Bigger car ( some people advised me it's better to drive a bigger car in Canada, although I don't know why)

Cylinder deactivation is only on petrol (gas model). I won't comment on peoples aversion to cylinder deactivation as I have spoken about it quite a bit in other threads.

As for owning a diesel, you need to weigh up whether you do enough mileage to justify it.

Over here in Oz land, generally speaking the recommendation is to go with gas models for urban driving because the fuel savings don't justify the extra purchase price of a diesel and you would need to own it long term to see the true savings.

Diesel is recommended primarily if you are going to be regularly towing something or if you are doing lots of highway/freeway/motorway driving. DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) has come along way since the first iteration in the Mazda diesel engine but it's still (and happy to be corrected) better performing on longer trips with the engine properly warmed up and functioning rather than urban short distance driving.

My daily commute to work (One way: 35k hway, 20k on city) that's a total of 70k hwy and 40k on city
Weekend less than 50k on total, mostly city

My daily commute to work (One way: 35k hway, 20k on city) that's a total of 70k hwy and 40k on city
Weekend less than 50k on total, mostly city

It's line ball with those figures you are quoting.

For my circumstances, about 85% of my driving is city and therefore I can't justify the added cost of the purchase price and servicing costs of owning the diesel.

Hence it's the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation for me

Last edited:
If you are searching for a car in 4 months - there is zero chance a CX5 diesel will be available for you to even consider. Your options are a chevy diesel CUV or a 2.5L CX5 - and if mpg is important - the Chevy will be 40+ and CX5 will be 31-33. So there is all that you need to know.
My car dealer told me it should be approved on JAN, production will start on FEB, and should be available by APR

Yes, I considered a sedan for the reasons that you mentioned, but as you know how's our winter and safey comes before any other factor whn I drive that distance:
- AWD : available in SUV and sedan
- Winter tires: Available on SUV and sedan
- Drivers high position: Only SUV!
you don't understand this factor unless you drive an SUV for sometime and go back to sedan
it gives you a longer view of the road and you can anticipate things before it happens, specially with the many crazy drivers on the roads
- Bigger car ( some people advised me it's better to drive a bigger car in Canada, although I don't know why)

That's where the benefits end for me. I'll happily take the added efficiency and performance benefits, smoother quieter ride, sleeker design, improved aerodynamics, far more involved and capable handling prowess and superior seating position of a low slung coupe/sedan which indicates that you are in a machine truly designed to have superior control over pavement while involving the driver with positive chassis and steering feel.

Dont get me wrong, A crossover like the CX-5 is a great car for Mazda because they struck into a very popular market here in North America, and the CX-5 simply isn't one of those lumbering piece of s*** truck that I'm picturing in my head so I see nothing wrong with it. But If you buy a truck or full size SUV and aren't filling that thing to the brim with s***, people, going over rough roads, etc. You're just pissing away gas, speed, handling, neutering the driving experience completely just to sit higher up, and it makes me sick in the stomach to see this.

A Japanese SUV, if I needed the capabilities then I absolutely would buy one yes. A crossover is reasonable because it doesn't weigh as much as a truck, so I do think that it's a totally reasonable choice given what you're looking for. But tell me. Are you looking for a reasonable choice or some perfectly suited to the amount of highway driving you do?

In my eyes, what would be optimal for you is an Mercedes e class or a bmw 540i with its lovely and surprisingly efficient inline 6 cylinder. If im only keeping the car for 5 years, I'll spend a premium to ensure that my highway commute and super safe and comfortable. Just test drive a new 540i on the highway and look at how fuel efficient it is before deciding for sure that you want a crossover.

In my eyes, what would be optimal for you is an Mercedes e class or a bmw 540i with its lovely and surprisingly efficient inline 6 cylinder. If im only keeping the car for 5 years, I'll spend a premium to ensure that my highway commute and super safe and comfortable. Just test drive a new 540i on the highway and look at how fuel efficient it is before deciding for sure that you want a crossover.

They say mind is like a parachute, only work when it's open. My mind is always open, except for used cars, it's a piece of stone!(rofl2)

I agree with you and I mentioned that I'm thinking about luxury cars as well (Mercedes, BMW, Lexus.. ) for the reason that you mentioned
But they come second after the GT...
Why?
Well, if we have this discussion on 2015, or even 2016, I'd go with the luxury
But now on 2018, it's different
If I buy a luxury, it's big investment and I want to keep it for 6 years
If I buy the c5-5 GT, It's much less investment and I'm willing to deplete it on 4 years and buy my next car on 2022
year 2022 looks like a pivot year in auto industry, mentioned by many auto manufacturer
This year 2018, every thing looks unclear, governments seems pushing very hard for EVs and it looks that they will continue.
If they succeed, EVs on 2022 will be more efficient, Cost of ownership will go much lower (price, annual maintenance, fuel cost.. ), infrastructure (charging stations . etc) will be everywhere .... while gas prices may go up with more taxes!!
Or they will fail, and either gas cars return regaining market( or a surprise emerge of another energy source.. Fuel cell?)
On year 2022 would be the good time to throw a hefty investment in a car that you can keep for 6+ years without feeling u r left behind
This is my main reason to buy the cx5 gt as a transition car for the next 4 years

They say mind is like a parachute, only work when it's open. My mind is always open, except for used cars, it's a piece of stone!(rofl2)

I agree with you and I mentioned that I'm thinking about luxury cars as well (Mercedes, BMW, Lexus.. ) for the reason that you mentioned
But they come second after the GT...
Why?
Well, if we have this discussion on 2015, or even 2016, I'd go with the luxury
But now on 2018, it's different
If I buy a luxury, it's big investment and I want to keep it for 6 years
If I buy the c5-5 GT, It's much less investment and I'm willing to deplete it on 4 years and buy my next car on 2022
year 2022 looks like a pivot year in auto industry, mentioned by many auto manufacturer
This year 2018, every thing looks unclear, governments seems pushing very hard for EVs and it looks that they will continue.
If they succeed, EVs on 2022 will be more efficient, Cost of ownership will go much lower (price, annual maintenance, fuel cost.. ), infrastructure (charging stations . etc) will be everywhere .... while gas prices may go up with more taxes!!
Or they will fail, and either gas cars return regaining market( or a surprise emerge of another energy source.. Fuel cell?)
On year 2022 would be the good time to throw a hefty investment in a car that you can keep for 6+ years without feeling u r left behind
This is my main reason to buy the cx5 gt as a transition car for the next 4 years

I meant looking into a new BMW.

honestly I agree with you on used cars, but my experience with them has been very positive. I bought a CPO (certified pre owned) 2011 BMW 528i back in 2013 for 43k (car was 76k new) and it is still my favourite car I have ever driven or owned. Buying a CPO 2014 535i is a great buy, they're very reliable.

On a side note, 2022 is only four years away, and I just can't see the infrastructure necessary for EV's being built and ready in that time.
It's a massive undertaking, requiring grotesque amounts of cash, labour and energy.
The money is simply not there, for starters.
America is broke (as is Canada), and there's no way this can be done by the private sector.
Even if you build a nation full of charging stations, you somehow have to feed these things with power.
Where is that going to come from? Coal fired hydro plants? That'll help the environment.
I guess they can always double your taxes to pay for this stuff, but I doubt that the average Joe is going to support that.
I personally think you'll be quite safe buying a nice car today, and enjoying it for many years.

Exactly, you hit the nerve with your reply
In my area, diesel is the same price as diesel most of the time, so now I's save 20% on gas
But with politicians controlling our future, it can be 30% more next year as in your area
And they can make it 100% more in 3 years if they want

In my area diesel runs about the same price as diesel most of the time also..))
But 87 gas is a dime or 2 cheaper big deal, not worried diesel will double no way can't happen, fine won't happen..hey we do about the same amount and type of commuting and i really want the cx5 d for that job. I'd steer clear of the Chevy and bmws 4cyl diesels suck imo, 335d was a sweetheart tho, Mercedes made a nice one i was a little cherry on top deal-wise away from buying a glk250 for the sweet motor alone- but glad i went with Mazda its been great and much more economical choice overall. I could spend 60k on a car if i wanted to but doing our kind of mileage, buying new as we do its a depreciation disaster!..2 modest 30ish k cars>1 luxury one for me all day long. So get a leftover 17 gasser if you can't wait but I'd wait! X1(fellow C&D 10 bester and also in my garage in E84 guise) may be worth a look..i run 89 in mine it runs fine and clears 30mpg on the open road (rwd tho), I've yet to sample the new one.

Last edited:
I meant looking into a new BMW.

Regarding the BMWs that I'm looking at, it's not the 540i
For SUV: I'll check the x5 xDrive40e , starting price $69k
For sedans: I'll look at 530e , starting @ $56k

And I have only one reason for these 2 specific models, but it's a strong one: the $8,460k Ontario incentive (canada)

Back