2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

This forum has had a number of posters and threads about chipping paint yet where are the pictures?

One of the posters recently, a Jennifer made her presence known on another Mazda forum with a almost exact copy of the post it put up here. So I take most of these complaints with a pound of rock salt.

This forum has had a number of posters and threads about chipping paint yet where are the pictures?

One of the posters recently, a Jennifer made her presence known on another Mazda forum with a almost exact copy of the post it put up here. So I take most of these complaints with a pound of rock salt.

Cru63W6SthaiN8pDEJSmHgVyges5vMFF-WOeoi0pa-B0kVo-IOftxaowOlPcuHZVJcxUoTt-8nSjSLxRE1lMSbpoVF49C8uEUS0dOK0C0IUAgG5C9DlnHFQeAESD98L2AQPF7CohxdGueXxMOhO3Zg8DbKj-KdfjqK2svQF10DE9k4wHBC-ZIi5p3F5c5HfcCAC5ti6NxRZQARwTcu30mq73517g1-SR3XbrkuUEanW-M81KO-j6IkB3BmezRQ_AZEPYvqwvLnYEk1PeM21tly8O8oSdENpygJVTI7GnayrqfiPpK0r0xIj3gr1Yu4rx2hy07wNnOBkKLFulvoL9pbhDI_XtkiDkAAbqaNHHAI5ngz6RSXcqGfHOzxJpijd6p5zh3K93mUj9TBTLOOVjvAcHTasPndENUgs9votpdV0exIqxMYNvPcuusJc2gWOh3ho3_0cMdayx7KM6QIMxSHBhBYET37VKpzpSKXRhZ0c6VuiMDuVyDTIIe5ts3hbXC7zGTIA53D0HxybA7fQOmtsfndy89_-84ODTwlOBzLPTIoINrT8c99tvi_sbFg0HnZDu6FcdT2dLkxPyXRJmNjv1fKQmbrSXCMGbY--M=w1318-h1756-no

Here's just one image of the many chips on my hood. Mazda referred me to a paint inspector to have this looked at. The paint inspector stated these are not due to rocks hitting my hood. The biggest indicator of that is most of these chips appear in clusters (two or more chips near each other), suggesting that it's a issue with how the paint was applied, or a defect in the paint itself.

Here's a few other forum posts discussing this issue:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861887-2017-CX-5-Soul-Red-Crystal-Metallic
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859933-Touch-Up-Paint-for-Soul-Red-Crystal
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/soul-red-crystal-metallic-38656/
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860797-Paint-is-easily-chipped

I am not going to get into an argument with you. Seems you are disputing everything I say recently. You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

I've been around long enough and have read and seen information regarding various matters including this.

I am not going to spend my time having to post evidence here. It's out there be it owners opinions or data. Saying no such issue exists is not right.

Have a nice day

C'mon, X, don't get all paranoid now. I often agree with you, and post about it. I couldn't possibly dispute everything you say-- you have 5242 posts in about 10 months! But I do disagree with you at times. I'm truly sorry if I'm making you feel picked on.

I don't want to "argue" with you, either. I was just looking for information. I asked if you had any evidence. Obviously, the correct answer would have been no. It's funny that you went back and edited your posts after I responded to you. Appears that you felt the need to defend and/or clarify your statements, after all, just not directly.

I have no problem with you or anyone else expressing their opinions. I was asking about the facts. You weren't expressing an opinion, you were making a statement as if it were fact. I hope you can see the distinction.

There's a lot of misinformation floating around the internet. It is causing massive problems. People need to be held accountable for what they say and do, and be careful about spreading misinformation. It's the same in journalism: opinions are supposed to be identified as such, and the news is supposed to be factual. Opinions masquerading as facts are dishonest.

So please, express your opinion all you want. I will always defend your right to do so. But if someone asks you for information, or disagrees with your opinion, back up what you say! Don't hide behind the "other people say" argument-- that's bogus and unhelpful. And don't take it personally. I don't know you. I'm just responding to what you post.

When I see bulls***, I call it. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. But I'm always willing to discuss, to learn, and admit when I'm wrong.

Cru63W6SthaiN8pDEJSmHgVyges5vMFF-WOeoi0pa-B0kVo-IOftxaowOlPcuHZVJcxUoTt-8nSjSLxRE1lMSbpoVF49C8uEUS0dOK0C0IUAgG5C9DlnHFQeAESD98L2AQPF7CohxdGueXxMOhO3Zg8DbKj-KdfjqK2svQF10DE9k4wHBC-ZIi5p3F5c5HfcCAC5ti6NxRZQARwTcu30mq73517g1-SR3XbrkuUEanW-M81KO-j6IkB3BmezRQ_AZEPYvqwvLnYEk1PeM21tly8O8oSdENpygJVTI7GnayrqfiPpK0r0xIj3gr1Yu4rx2hy07wNnOBkKLFulvoL9pbhDI_XtkiDkAAbqaNHHAI5ngz6RSXcqGfHOzxJpijd6p5zh3K93mUj9TBTLOOVjvAcHTasPndENUgs9votpdV0exIqxMYNvPcuusJc2gWOh3ho3_0cMdayx7KM6QIMxSHBhBYET37VKpzpSKXRhZ0c6VuiMDuVyDTIIe5ts3hbXC7zGTIA53D0HxybA7fQOmtsfndy89_-84ODTwlOBzLPTIoINrT8c99tvi_sbFg0HnZDu6FcdT2dLkxPyXRJmNjv1fKQmbrSXCMGbY--M=w1318-h1756-no

Here's just one image of the many chips on my hood. Mazda referred me to a paint inspector to have this looked at. The paint inspector stated these are not due to rocks hitting my hood. The biggest indicator of that is most of these chips appear in clusters (two or more chips near each other), suggesting that it's a issue with how the paint was applied, or a defect in the paint itself.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861887-2017-CX-5-Soul-Red-Crystal-Metallic
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859933-Touch-Up-Paint-for-Soul-Red-Crystal
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860797-Paint-is-easily-chipped

Thank you for posting some photos (thumb)

Thanks for the photo!
I notice that your last link is referring to the machine grey color.
Fearless prediction: if someone were to do a thorough internet search, they would find complaints about most colors from most manufacturers.

It seems to me the question is not "is this happening?", but rather should be "why is this happening?".

I just don't buy the idea that the paint is "thin".

This is a little bit old (circa 2012) but gives decent information:

Understanding Modern Automotive Paintwork

117txf6.jpg

Nice find. I lurk around detailing forums for tips and I have seen many comments about hard German paint. These places are also where I’ve found the advice that the softer Japanese paints should be sealed or coated. The new ceramic or SIO2 products are excellent in that regard as well as some of the old standbys like Menzerna PowerLoc. Anything extra you can do to protect the paint is well worth the investment. If driving on dirt or gravel roads then I would also consider a wrap.

Thanks and (iagree) There are some decent products like you said out there that should help and a little $$$ outlay early on may save large amounts $$$ later on

I should also say that we all would love to keep our cars in prime condition but after all the vehicles I’ve driven I have come to realize that sooner or later a chip or a ding will happen. While the rock chips may be annoying, what irks me much worse are inconsiderate people who smack their door into the side of the car or cannot pull out of a parking spot without grazing the corner. Then they don’t have the [emoji464][emoji464] to leave a note and take responsibility for their actions. They are everywhere.

I should also say that we all would love to keep our cars in prime condition but after all the vehicles I’ve driven I have come to realize that sooner or later a chip or a ding will happen. While the rock chips may be annoying, what irks me much worse are inconsiderate people who smack their door into the side of the car or cannot pull out of a parking spot without grazing the corner. Then they don’t have the [emoji464][emoji464] to leave a note and take responsibility for their actions. They are everywhere.

+1
s*** happens, but people do s***.

I know what you mean because that's exactly what happened to me this past holiday season. Some jacka$$ in a Escalade backed into my car in a Target parking lot and just took off. Damage was minimum, but the impact left a good paint chip, roughly 2" in diameter on my rear bumper. I normally take care of my car, yet this s*** happened. Really pissed me off..

I know what you mean because that's exactly what happened to me this past holiday season. Some jacka$$ in a Escalade backed into my car in a Target parking lot and just took off. Damage was minimum, but the impact left a good paint chip, roughly 2" in diameter on my rear bumper. I normally take care of my car, yet this s*** happened. Really pissed me off..

Sometimes it's just plain carelessness on the part of a third party

Sometimes it's just plain carelessness on the part of a third party

Yep like leaving shopping cars in the parking lots so they roll and hit whichever car is in the way.

Getting off topic I know but inconsiderate people seem to be multiplying. A sad reality of our society.

+100000000000000000 Parking lots are the bane of my existence. Manage to avoid most dings by parking about a square mile from any store. LOL

+100000000000000000 Parking lots are the bane of my existence. Manage to avoid most dings by parking about a square mile from any store. LOL

Absolutely. My car is the loneliest car in England. Furthermore, Anchorwoman has been briefed, re-briefed and cross briefed to ensure it remains so. Despite this, one of my back doors got done. Not sure of the culprit but I did find a car about a foot away from mine one night at the station car park.

I park way in the back away from other cars as much as possible and enjoy the walk to the store.

Sadly some lots, the whole damn thing fills up and there's not much you can do.

At this point, my CX-5's hood is littered with chips, and the sides definitely have scratches. At this point, will need some paint correction if I want to make it pristine again.

Absolutely. My car is the loneliest car in England. Furthermore, Anchorwoman has been briefed, re-briefed and cross briefed to ensure it remains so. Despite this, one of my back doors got done. Not sure of the culprit but I did find a car about a foot away from mine one night at the station car park.

Hahaha, Anchorwoman, I like it. I've also briefed the missus. She's been warned that if it comes back with a dent she should probably throw herself off a bridge. ;) (joking of course.... Maybe........)

Back