2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Very sorry to hear your experience mirrored mine SweetPete. The sound of my wipers clearing the dew off the windshield in the morning as they scrape across over spray from multiple repaints sounds like they are dragging over sandpaper, not glass.

And for all of you suggesting "making" Mazda do this or that, STFU. They. Don't. Care.
Which is really too bad for a brand trying to retain customers (supposedly).

What does that say about them when freaking Kia of all car companies are going all out on making their customers happy with regards to their paint issues. (scratch)

Very sorry to hear your experience mirrored mine SweetPete. The sound of my wipers clearing the dew off the windshield in the morning as they scrape across over spray from multiple repaints sounds like they are dragging over sandpaper, not glass.

And for all of you suggesting "making" Mazda do this or that, STFU. They. Don't. Care.

I know they dont care, and they got their point across. It worked, you guys are definitely another reason why I wont buy or recommend another one to anyone, even though Ive actually been happy with mine so far...

My mom is in the market for a CUV right now. Im stearing her away, in fact, I hope she gives this new RAV4 a try, or Hell even the measly old Kia, at least I know Im getting a thoroughly backed product...

Quick update, more later today. My car is done, I'm going later this morning to supposedly take it home after I inspect it. Weather outside is miserable, been raining for 2 days straight. I'm going to reserve the right to do a second inspection on Saturday once the bad weather clears so I can get a look at it in the sunshine.

Also, I heard back from Mazda Corp. just moments ago regarding my lengthy email to them on Tuesday morning. In summary, Mazda basically told me they upheld their end of the warranty, for me to go pick up my car, we're done, thank you. In other words, they did the minimum to deal with the paint issue. But did they really? My car will still have defective paint on it, to which Mazda said they'll deal with it in the future as needed i.e. more paint flaking occurs.

Will post back here again this afternoon.

Did they thank you for being part of the Mazda Family? I would probably put this on Youtube / Twitter / Face book Mazda page / Join Jalopnik / TTAC and other car related websites and post this whenever possible. I might even contact Youtube to get a favored spot on their search algorithm. Once I do this - I would thank Mazda for their help and say I told everyone how awesome you guys have been and paste all the links to content.

Public shaming seems to be the only way to get treated fairly by corporations in this day and age. Spam their Twitter account. Somebody will change their tune once it picks up negative attention.

Actually, I would suggest "letting" a pebble hit your windshield and viola, problem solved!

Quick update, more later today. My car is done, I'm going later this morning to supposedly take it home after I inspect it. Weather outside is miserable, been raining for 2 days straight. I'm going to reserve the right to do a second inspection on Saturday once the bad weather clears so I can get a look at it in the sunshine.

Also, I heard back from Mazda Corp. just moments ago regarding my lengthy email to them on Tuesday morning. In summary, Mazda basically told me they upheld their end of the warranty, for me to go pick up my car, we're done, thank you. In other words, they did the minimum to deal with the paint issue. But did they really? My car will still have defective paint on it, to which Mazda said they'll deal with it in the future as needed i.e. more paint flaking occurs.

Will post back here again this afternoon.

Honestly, Mazda sounds like a bunch of jerks. They should have body shops that can match their paint or don't use that paint.

Honestly, Mazda sounds like a bunch of jerks. They should have body shops that can match their paint or don't use that paint.

If i was treated that way id never buy from them again. How insultingly arrogant. And id let every Tom, Dick and Harry know of my experience.

As if customers should be grateful mazda offers half assed s*** for sale.

I've got to admit, the way Mazda is treating this problem is making me wonder whether I'll ever want to buy another from them.

I've got to admit, the way Mazda is treating this problem is making me wonder whether I'll ever want to buy another from them.

But I think most auto companies are the same. Our Toyota Sienna's wheels rusted out, which was a very common issue with them, and Toyota blamed us. Told us we were supposed to wash the wheels after every exposure to road salt. The Toyota forums are full of people just like me. Read the Honda Odyssey forums about peoples issue with CD and how Honda does nothing to help. All the companies are all looking to do as little as possible.

But I know one thing, I will not be buying a Soul Red Mazda. I love the look but it is not worth the risk.

I remember someone posting how excited they were to be getting close to buying a RCM soon.
Seriously? Must not know how to read?
-
It is a terrific car.
But I do feel better having bought Sonic Silver.

But I think most auto companies are the same. Our Toyota Sienna's wheels rusted out, which was a very common issue with them, and Toyota blamed us. Told us we were supposed to wash the wheels after every exposure to road salt. The Toyota forums are full of people just like me. Read the Honda Odyssey forums about peoples issue with CD and how Honda does nothing to help. All the companies are all looking to do as little as possible.

Just to build on Honda support, or lack thereof, just look at the way Honda has been treating their CR-V customers with the oil dilution and lack of heat issues.
I was also a Nissan guy in the early 2000's, and they have gone the same way with customer support in the last ten years.
The Nissan forum I frequent is full of people who swear they'll never buy another one.
It's all about the bottom line. There's no profit in customer support.

Just to build on Honda support, or lack thereof, just look at the way Honda has been treating their CR-V customers with the oil dilution and lack of heat issues.
I was also a Nissan guy in the early 2000's, and they have gone the same way with customer support in the last ten years.
The Nissan forum I frequent is full of people who swear they'll never buy another one.
It's all about the bottom line. There's no profit in customer support.

True, and there are lots of angry people on the Honda forums. But getting back to Mazda, they really need to do something about their paint. If you go to the Mazda 3 web sites (https://mazda3revolution.com) people complain about the paint. Same is true for the Mazda 6, Miata and CX-9 forums. Mazda really needs to deal with this issue or they are going to face a class action lawsuit.

Last edited:

Eh, there are stories like this on every car forum. Read with a grain of salt.

For example, a few years back Toyotas fix to rusty rear suspension arms on the RAV4 was to epoxy the joints, which in turn prevented any alignment adjustments. This meant if your RAV4 needed aligned, you had to drop $600 on a new set of arms each time. This was so bad that a class action suit was filed. Despite this, no one sweats when buying a Toyota

Well, I got my car back. I'm not 100% happy - it's not perfect, there are still 3 chips (hood, bumper and roof), all of which were supposedly repainted (hood for sure, since it's new - so why is there a chip there?). A few other blemishes that can probably be buffed out. The 2 A-pillars look perfect (had 4 or 5 chips each). Supposedly doors were painted/blended, and it actually looks fine. The color match looks to be spot-on - I did my best when comparing it to a new CX-5 off the showroom floor that the service manager parked next to mine. No loose body panels - if anything was taken apart, it looks like it was put back together again properly. One glaring issue was the bottom of the new hood. Neither I nor the service manager knows how a hood ordered as a replacement comes from Mazda (bare metal? only primer? primer and base coat?), but it looked like it had gotten the thinnest coat of paint I've ever seen on a car. I compared it to the new CX-5, and it clearly needs to be re-sprayed - they clearly did not look the same. Finally, the inside of my car was covered in body shop dust/dirt. Service manager was cleaning it as I was inspecting my car.

Service manager said he'll get back to me in a few days after he talks to Mazda and the body shop about addressing the above issues. I have no idea if that means an additional few days or weeks of not having my car again :( He also said after 30 days (after the paint fully cures), he'll give me a full detail. I'll be cleaning the inside of my car this weekend as I can't drive around with it in this condition.

Finally, I did hear back from Mazda via email about all my questions and concerns, the 2 main ones being the fact that my car still has defective paint on it, and the issue of diminished value. All I'll say at this point, as a couple of other folks here have pointed out, is that Mazda doesn't care. And if you think Mazda is in some way going to compensate you in some lavish way - a buyback, a replacement vehicle, cash, etc. - you're kidding yourself. There really needs to be a class action initiated against Mazda regarding the paint issue. These vehicles should be FULLY repainted, at the least. Can't help but think about Kia and their handling of the Stinger paint issue. I feel that, at the least, those of us who have had to go through this paint issue should get a 100k/10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty extension. I don't think that would cost Mazda too much.

I find it hard to believe a service manager cannot find out the condition of a replacement hood. This isnt covert ops type stuff.

I hope you took lots of pictures of the interior as soon as you arrived.

I would not let a dealer detail your car. Most likely the lowest paid employees perform tbose jobs, and your paint will be in even worse condition than when you inspected it.

Chips on new parts and or after a repaint? Unacceptable.

Our 4 year old CRV has less than 5 chips. Mazdas painting process might be more environmentally friendly, but the quality shouldnt be nearly as poor as youre describing.

Well, I got my car back. I'm not 100% happy - it's not perfect, there are still 3 chips (hood, bumper and roof), all of which were supposedly repainted (hood for sure, since it's new - so why is there a chip there?). A few other blemishes that can probably be buffed out. The 2 A-pillars look perfect (had 4 or 5 chips each). Supposedly doors were painted/blended, and it actually looks fine. The color match looks to be spot-on - I did my best when comparing it to a new CX-5 off the showroom floor that the service manager parked next to mine. No loose body panels - if anything was taken apart, it looks like it was put back together again properly. One glaring issue was the bottom of the new hood. Neither I nor the service manager knows how a hood ordered as a replacement comes from Mazda (bare metal? only primer? primer and base coat?), but it looked like it had gotten the thinnest coat of paint I've ever seen on a car. I compared it to the new CX-5, and it clearly needs to be re-sprayed - they clearly did not look the same. Finally, the inside of my car was covered in body shop dust/dirt. Service manager was cleaning it as I was inspecting my car.

Service manager said he'll get back to me in a few days after he talks to Mazda and the body shop about addressing the above issues. I have no idea if that means an additional few days or weeks of not having my car again :( He also said after 30 days (after the paint fully cures), he'll give me a full detail. I'll be cleaning the inside of my car this weekend as I can't drive around with it in this condition.

Finally, I did hear back from Mazda via email about all my questions and concerns, the 2 main ones being the fact that my car still has defective paint on it, and the issue of diminished value. All I'll say at this point, as a couple of other folks here have pointed out, is that Mazda doesn't care. And if you think Mazda is in some way going to compensate you in some lavish way - a buyback, a replacement vehicle, cash, etc. - you're kidding yourself. There really needs to be a class action initiated against Mazda regarding the paint issue. These vehicles should be FULLY repainted, at the least. Can't help but think about Kia and their handling of the Stinger paint issue. I feel that, at the least, those of us who have had to go through this paint issue should get a 100k/10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty extension. I don't think that would cost Mazda too much.

I actually have a Question for you: What can Mazda do to make you happy.
A. Nothing - as its been so bad even if they bought back your car at transaction price and paid you your salary $rate for the time you spent, you would still be unhappy and go elsewhere.
B. Warranty your paint for longer?
C. Monetary compensation - say service credit for $500 or $1000 or whatever.
D. Future discounts.
E. "should get a 100k/10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty extension" - it has nothing to do with Paint but I guess this is another option.

As for Kia, Stinger was a Special car because it can open up possibilities for sales of Veloster N and other performance cars with higher margins. Kia on the other hand have had Soul's / Forte's catch fire and have kept quiet about it. I like detailing and love my cars paint but if I have to choose between crappy paint and pulling your kids out of their car seat as the car is on fire - I know which one I would be comfortable with.

I find it hard to believe a service manager cannot find out the condition of a replacement hood. This isn*t covert ops type stuff.

I hope you took lots of pictures of the interior as soon as you arrived.

I would not let a dealer detail your car. Most likely the lowest paid employees perform tbose jobs, and your paint will be in even worse condition than when you inspected it.

Chips on new parts and or after a repaint? Unacceptable.

Our 4 year old CRV has less than 5 chips. Mazdas painting process might be more environmentally friendly, but the quality shouldn*t be nearly as poor as you*re describing.

But it all has to do with the type of paint. The Mazda Soul Red seems to have problems on all their cars. Go read the Miata forums. The people there complain about it. There are no major issues with the blue, white, silver or black cars. There is also a general consensus that new environment-friendly paints are problematic.

My 2014 (Silver) has zero paint chips with over 120K miles. Our 15 month old Mazda 3 in eternal blue also is 100% chip free. There are nicks, but that is from my son hitting things!

But clearly, there are major issues with the soul red and some cars are just piss poor. And Mazda is not doing a good enough job dealing with them. They are trying to deal with them one at a time -like a one off issue- but they need to do something to address them all at once.

My black CX-5 at 74.5k miles is riddled with paint chips. But I have zero paint protection on the car, and I didn't wax it at all the first few years I owned it. I drive on dirt roads when I go up to the mountains, and they put rocks and crap down on the roads in the winter, so it's bound to happen.

But that's all after 5 1/2 years. Not a brand new car.

Soul Red Crystal clearly has issues that Mazda needs to address as a whole.

Latest posts

Back