2017 CX-5 drl question

In fact, once we have the electrical diagram and found the DRL function feed to low beam headlights, we should be able to easily cut the feed and disable the headlights as part of DRLs. :)

I'm willing to pay someone $$$ to do this mod for me! And if he's kind enough to also run a wire from the rain sensor module to the rear wiper (so it's in sync with the windshield wipers) he'll be generously tipped. :)

I'm willing to pay someone $$$ to do this mod for me! And if he's kind enough to also run a wire from the rain sensor module to the rear wiper (so it's in sync with the windshield wipers) he'll be generously tipped. :)
Never thought about this but this's a great idea though! Mazda engineers if you see this and you can simply and cheaply add a wire from front rain sensor to rear wiper. This has to be better than a fixed intermittent rear wiper!

Never thought about this but this's a great idea though! Mazda engineers if you see this and you can simply and cheaply add a wire from front rain sensor to rear wiper. This has to be better than a fixed intermittent rear wiper!

I find the rear usually accumulates at a slower pace than the front unless in a heavy rain. Snow can be more in insistent. A rear intermittent dial would be a sleek upmarket application at what one would think a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I Always light the LED position lamp. When the engine is ON, only the LED position lamp lights up,
Meters and monitors will not dim, and the tail lamp will not light up.:)

If this is correct translation, this means when car is on and you select drive and move, led DRL activates and nothing else. Exactly how it should work.

If this is correct translation, this means when car is on and you select drive and move, led DRL activates and nothing else. Exactly how it should work.
Yep that's why I feel that kit sounds like a DRL module for any non-DRL equipped CX-5.

BTW, the translation of product description is from Google, although I can read some Japanese. :)

Yep that's why I feel that kit sounds like a DRL module for any non-DRL equipped CX-5.

BTW, the translation of product description is from Google, although I can read some Japanese. :)

More useful here in Oz where bottom 3 models don't have DRL's at all

Could be possible that for 2018+MY's in the US, the "independent" DRL option may be a refresh update.

Could be possible that for 2018+MY's in the US, the "independent" DRL option may be a refresh update.
I believe it'd be difficult for Mazda to change it as it involves a physical wiring change, not just software update. And like someone had said, this's such a minor issue for them and they don't really care!

Nerertheless I plan to go to Mazda Test Drive Event this Saturday and try to give them some "suggestions" if possible! :)

Hey guys. So I had bought a 2017 Mazda 3GT with the premium package (only package available in stick shift) last month.

I too was baffled that why did Mazda ruin the drl system by turning on the low beam also along with their signature lighting. Tried looking for answers and came across this thread.

So this feature of low beams coming on with the halos is looking like a standard thing Mazda is imposing on their line up of vehicles for North America.

As much as I hate the headlights coming on with drl's; I am just gonna have to live with them.

Hey guys. So I had bought a 2017 Mazda 3GT with the premium package (only package available in stick shift) last month.

I too was baffled that why did Mazda ruin the drl system by turning on the low beam also along with their signature lighting. Tried looking for answers and came across this thread.

So this feature of low beams coming on with the halos is looking like a standard thing Mazda is imposing on their line up of vehicles for North America.

As much as I hate the headlights coming on with drl's; I am just gonna have to live with them.

congrats. Is your new Mazda3 equipped with the 2.5 with stick?

This likely won't help as I believe it turns off both the DRLs and halos. And I'm not even sure if it will work on the 17 CX-5. This procedure works for several Mazda models produced over the past few years.
2012-09-27_131320_running_lights.jpg

Last edited:

All depends if Mazda USA decide the cost of going down this path is actually worth it

This likely won't help as I believe it turns off both the DRLs and halos. And I'm not even sure if it will work on the 17 CX-5. This procedure works for several Mazda models produced over the past few years.
View attachment 216519
Yes, it works.

So I experimented a bit, and most of this has been covered already, but I did see one difference compared to other post(s) on this thread:

DRL disabled:
Neither halos or headlights illuminated when switch is OFF or Auto during daylight.
Switch in Parking position turns on tail lights and side marker lights (EDIT: along with halos).

DRL enabled: Both halos and headlights illuminated at all times when moving, even if switch is OFF.
When DRLs are on and switch is OFF or Auto during daylight, switching to On (going "through" Parking, obviously) does make the headlights a little brighter (someone else on this thread reported that they didn't think the brightness changed).

While testing these things, I noticed another "aesthetic annoyance" when DRLs are enabled: If you stop but leave the transmission in gear (stop sign/light, etc.), and move the switch from anything else to OFF, or from On to Auto during daylight, the DRLs (halos and headlights) go off. When you start moving again, they turn on. I realize you normally won't do this, but it seems like if you are going to have DRLs, they should stay on as long as the transmission is not shifted to Park, no matter what you do with the switch. When I had DRLs enabled and was messing with the switch while following another vehicle, they (and the people stopped facing us) probably wondered why I turned my headlights off when I stopped and turned them back on when I started moving ;).

Add me to the list of people who are curious what you find out with that kit, bigtex.

While testing these things, I noticed another "aesthetic annoyance" when DRLs are enabled: If you stop but leave the transmission in gear (stop sign/light, etc.), and move the switch from anything else to OFF, or from On to Auto during daylight, the DRLs (halos and headlights) go off. When you start moving again, they turn on.

This is normal operation for DRL's

This is normal operation for DRL's
I'll take your word for it; I've never had DRL's before this vehicle. I guess the advantage is that it gives you a way to force the DRL's to turn off while you're not moving without having to shift into park. Not sure how often I would do that though.

Back