2017 CX-5 drl question

When a car company changed something like that I assume it's be size the newer version is probably somehow cheaper to manufacture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe but also depends on economies of scale

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It could be an economies of scale thing as noted above: some regulation somewhere requires something that only using the headlight will satisfy / that the accent lighting alone won't meet so they build them all that way.

Or.... it could simply be a styling / design decision because it's the way the design team wanted it. Either way it is what it is and the only thing it's doing is making you a little safer on the road.

My own opinion here: I'm a little bored of cars having LED DRL strips for the sake of having LED DRL strips. I feel a lot of the simpler designs out there are just slapped on the car so the manufacturer can advertise that they have LED lights (to WOW the average joe out there) but they don't really add any personality at all. I believe having the headlights projector illuminated is different from typical these days and I think it looks quite good with the ball of sharper light accentuated by the "signature lighting" - adds quite a bit of attitude.

I'd go so far as to say to me it looks like something is missing without the headlight illuminated.

Mazda-CX-5-Touring-SUV-silver-press-image-1200x800-%281%29.jpg

Heck, I even like the "dual light" element that the simpler touring trim headlights make in DRL mode. To my eyes its more interesting to look at than a basic LED strip somewhere in the bumper or in the headlight.

d4cd0649aaef30480e763ce1fb2511b0.jpg

It could be an economies of scale thing as noted above: some regulation somewhere requires something that only using the headlight will satisfy / that the accent lighting alone won't meet so they build them all that way.

Or.... it could simply be a styling / design decision because it's the way the design team wanted it. Either way it is what it is and the only thing it's doing is making you a little safer on the road.

My own opinion here: I'm a little bored of cars having LED DRL strips for the sake of having LED DRL strips. I feel a lot of the simpler designs out there are just slapped on the car so the manufacturer can advertise that they have LED lights (to WOW the average joe out there) but they don't really add any personality at all. I believe having the headlights projector illuminated is different from typical these days and I think it looks quite good with the ball of sharper light accentuated by the "signature lighting" - adds quite a bit of attitude.

I'd go so far as to say to me it looks like something is missing without the headlight illuminated.

Mazda-CX-5-Touring-SUV-silver-press-image-1200x800-%281%29.jpg

Heck, I even like the "dual light" element that the simpler touring trim headlights make in DRL mode. To my eyes its more interesting to look at than a basic LED strip somewhere in the bumper or in the headlight.

d4cd0649aaef30480e763ce1fb2511b0.jpg

Well the top picture is what it is supposed to be like but in that case, its the Touring model here in OZ with parkers/low beams on. The GT and Akera are only models to get DRLs.

Except that you forget about the mirror mounted turn signals that all 2017 CX-5s have. This feature does a great job of mitigating this issue, while allowing the CX-5 to have cool central turn signals.
I totally agree! And during the dark it would be worse with amber parking lights on! I believe this's one step backwards by Mazda North American Operations comparing to 1st-gen CX-5. Some sort of mod will be done if I'm getting a 2017/2018 CX-5! And we should send more comments about this to Mazda North American Operations website and urge them to make a change!

Except that you forget about the mirror mounted turn signals that all 2017 CX-5s have. This feature does a great job of mitigating this issue, while allowing the CX-5 to have cool central turn signals.

I agree they do look cool going along the entire length of the mirror :)

Has anyone seen pictures/videos of these new mirror mounted signal lights in action? Hope these as bright as (if not brighter than) the 2016 design, in which case I absolutely agree it's a reasonable mitigation.

Looking at the picture....I actually agree. I don't like that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Each to their own I suppose

Can't agree more. I myself am divided, and as you may recall I was asking earlier in this thread if the headlight would steal the show or actually make the DRL look better. Surprisingly I still don't have an answer. Perhaps Mazda should add this option to the personalization screens, given the community is so divided :)

Can't agree more. I myself am divided, and as you may recall I was asking earlier in this thread if the headlight would steal the show or actually make the DRL look better. Surprisingly I still don't have an answer. Perhaps Mazda should add this option to the personalization screens, given the community is so divided :)

Would be nice if they did :)

IMHO all this conjecture (besides having headlights on all the time) seems to have come about due to headlight design including DRL is more streamlined than the previous model. On that one you could tell clearly DRL's are on. On this model, not so much (see photos previously in this thread).

Would be nice if they did :)

IMHO all this conjecture (besides having headlights on all the time) seems to have come about due to headlight design including DRL is more streamlined than the previous model. On that one you could tell clearly DRL's are on. On this model, not so much (see photos previously in this thread).
Nobody else is using low-beam headlights as DRLs nowadays. Not to mention CX-5 already has dedicated LED DRLs. Even thought there's no law in the US preventing it like EU, why do Mazda North American Operations want to add low-beam headlights as part of DRLs which is against convention not only with previous Mazda models, but also all other vehicles in the world? My another concern is the longevity of the LED headlights. When the much hotter LED headlights burn out due to unnecessary over-usage, it'll cost us!

Nobody else is using low-beam headlights as DRLs nowadays. Not to mention CX-5 already has dedicated LED DRLs. Even thought there's no law in the US preventing it like EU, why do Mazda North American Operations want to add low-beam headlights as part of DRLs which is against convention not only with previous Mazda models, but also all other vehicles in the world? My another concern is the longevity of the LED headlights. When the much hotter LED headlights burn out due to unnecessary over-usage, it'll cost us!

Our low spec CX-9's are using halogens as DRL's.

Got the daylight kit today from Japan:

attachment.php
B62TV7790.JPG

I won't have time to mess with it until this weekend, but I found a better description translated from Japanese:

"The front position lights at the same time as the engine starts! exclusive use's original daylight unit It is a kit mainly for using the LED position lamp as a daytime light. ━ ━ ━ product features ━━━ ■ One switch allows ON / OFF of daylight ■ Since a dedicated connector is used, there is no need to cut the wiring! ■ By turning on the daytime lamp, Improve visibility of the vehicle to improve safety Improve safety by turning on the switch ■ Position lamp lights at the same time as the engine starts! ■ Since the genuine connector is used, it is easy to install! This DAYLIGHT UNIT SYSTEM By installing KIT it is possible to light only the genuine position lamp as Daytime light during daytime. Since genuine switch function priority design, light switch is auto, small, even at the position of head light, there is no influence on the vehicle at all when using. ■ With instruction manual with image!"

Also, you have to remember that while DRL's are allowed in the US but not required, they are prohibited in Japan. Not sure how this Japanese mod gets around their DRL ban unless the ban is just against headlights as DRL's as this is a genuine Mazda accessory sold there.
Anyway, I have disabled my current DRL's, so my car is set up just like a stock Japanese car. If all goes well, I should be able to hit the on switch (which is just like the cheap looking little toggle switch that comes with the interior footwell lighting) and the led halo should come on when I start the car. As a bonus, i can still turn all of my lights off if i need to.
But most importantly, I should be able to set the lights to auto and leave this new toggle switch set to on. When I start the car and drive during the day, just the led halo will be lit with no tail lights or parking lights. Then when it gets dark, headlights and tail lights will come on with the halo. Also, for anyone interested in the grille illumination kit, once you have done this mod, all the wiring is ready for that so it would be easy to add the led grille accent if you wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 3,476
Thanks for the information and good looking forward to some pictures and possibly a clip showing it in action :D

Back