2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech Package

joepro

Rattleophobe
:
Soul Red Mica '16 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package
I returned my 2013 CX-5 this morning (lease was up in 5 weeks) and picked up a 2016 CX-5.
So far, I'm vey pleased with all the minor changes Mazda has made since the car was released.
The cabin does sound quieter and the new infotainment unit is so much better than the crappy old one.

One thing I've noticed is that the steering seems more assisted than on the 2013 model.
I really like the Soul Red Mica colour, but I'm still not convinced I like the pure white interior. It'll have to grow on me. We picked it because the seats would get crazy hot in the summertime when the car would sit in the driveway. Also not sure I like the new 19" rims. Used to really like the old ones.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I'll add to the review after I've played with it a bit more.
fz2qkk.jpg

292ma6r.jpg

333bq6a.jpg

2zp1hqh.jpg

xgbihv.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos! I have one question. Does your CX-5 have paddle shifters in addition to the manual shift gate?

Nope, there are no paddle shifters on my car.

Curious about the fog light.. are those projector style or something? Can't really tell... and are those LED strip on the fog light cover?

Thanks for the photos! I have one question. Does your CX-5 have paddle shifters in addition to the manual shift gate?

kev, from everything we've seen it doesnt look like they brought it over this year. I'm thinking theyre going to throw it in the 2017 as one of their big features.

Curious about the fog light.. are those projector style or something? Can't really tell... and are those LED strip on the fog light cover?

Not sure about the fog lights, but those are definitely not LED strips. It's the same plastic that's on the front grille.

Is the center armrest improved over the old car? Also, what's with the steel disk wheel (spare?) on the left rear?

Is the center armrest improved over the old car? Also, what's with the steel disk wheel (spare?) on the left rear?

The center armrest is much improved over the old one. I'll try to take a better pic of it later.
LOL, that's not the spare. The dealer had to switch out the stock 19" rims with my 17" winter rims before I was allowed to drive it off the lot.

It looks a little smaller than the old one but better located, IMO.

etfj7m.jpg

mjwa42.jpg

120kow9.jpg

21mge9v.jpg

Last edited:
Any close up of the fog light? Can't really find any info on it yet.

Here you go. The car is already super dirty :(
The fog lights are much smaller than the original ones but apparently much brighter as well.

ak7mg3.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughts on the LED headlights? Better, equal, or worse than the old HID bulbs? If you get a chance to take a picture of the cutoff, I'm curious as to what it's like compared to our current HIDs.

Here you go. The car is already super dirty :(
The fog lights are much smaller than the original ones but apparently much brighter as well.

5z2was.jpg

It really seems like a projector style fog light or possibly LED(?) if it's white output, but not 100% sure since it's dirty and can't really tell... Wonder if current CX-5 (2013-2015) could have their fogs swapped for the 2016 style... A lot easier to clean also than the honeycomb style fog cover lol

edit: alright, it's LED style fog light as far as I can tell based on Mazda Japan accessories/car lineup

Last edited:
It really seems like a projector style fog light or possibly LED(?) if it's white output, but not 100% sure since it's dirty and can't really tell... Wonder if current CX-5 (2013-2015) could have their fogs swapped for the 2016 style... A lot easier to clean also than the honeycomb style fog cover lol

edit: alright, it's LED style fog light as far as I can tell based on Mazda Japan accessories/car lineup

Canadian GT comes with LED exterior lights (headlight, fog, and tail) as standard, with or without Tech Package.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123845623-2016-CX5-Canadian-Specs

Interior seems to be improve with higher quality materials like the added leather around the radio and shifter areas that I think wasn't in previous models. I like the silver trim. It looks a bit more upscale and grown up over the previous models too. I wonder what they did to improve interior noise? I would have assumed quieter tires were the reason for a quieter interior but those tires are the same winter tires you had on your 2013 right?

Yup, same tires. They might have added extra soundproofing material to the doors and wheel wells. Not entirely sure. The doors do feel heavier somehow?

Back