2014 Jeep Cherokee

I thought it looked pretty good in the video, but the gallery of pics really shows how ugly it is, IMO. Either way, it's not the vehicle for me.

Does it still nearly flip over when maneuvering around an obstacle at near highway speeds? if yes, then no thanks. There was a video they tested going around an obstacle, most SUV's did it with some body roll of course but the Jeep actually had two wheels come off the ground and in many instances the front tires actually popped.

Kodo sensibility? :D man that thing is hideous looks nothing like Kodo in my opinion. A huge fail in terms of exterior design.

Just a reminder, this is a CX-5 forum...

I'm betting based on the domain he entered in his address bar he figured that one out. :)

I for one love discussing other vehicles with the social circle I'm part of by association

As for the `14 Cherokee, it's a shame they went so far out in one direction. I thought Jeep would have figured out how to play ball and use a singular design language through the line. Dodge is doing it - and their current line is one of the best they've had in decades. A baby Grand Cherokee would have looked FANTASTIC!

The real bummer is that I likely could have warmed up to the front over time, but the back looks like the cross between an old PT Cruiser and a new Kia Sportage. Really a bummer since they could have done something unique. :(

Okay, "Kodo sensibility" was not the best choice of words. What made me think of that was noticing the non-functional character line in the door. It seems like the Jeep stylists took the Rav4, CRV, Escape, CX-5, maybe a little Rogue thrown in, and designed an average something that would fit into that segment. I think they noticed the swoopiness of the CX-5 in particular and tried to imitate some of that. And yeah, that's why I thought it was worth bringing up in a CX-5 forum.

Good point about ignoring their own line's design language although again I think they were more constrained than people realize by the aerodynamic necessities to compete in the MPG race. They of course maintained the seven-bar grille and I'm sure they will ensure this vehicle leads the segment in offroad capability.

Looks like Dergi and I are in the minority in the Jeep world as well as here, but I like the styling at least on first impression. Need to see one in person, also to learn more about the details including handling and cargo capacity. If it handles as badly as Gio says, then that will be a problem.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own preference :) what may be good looking to some may be ugly to others, in the end if you're happy with it who cares right? :D. BTW the Jeep I was talking about was the Grand Cherokee not this model. I personally don't like the thinned out lights and the squashed grill piece. Just a personal preference, I think in this segment CX-5 is by far the best looking model. If the CR-V did something with that back they could compete otherwise they're left in the dust as well.

I've owned several Jeeps, including a Cherokee. That is ugly and no way I'm buying something like that. Fortunately Kodo design on CX-5 is much better.

Being a Jeep person since I was born, this is not a Jeep. It's a Fiat. Lights are horrible, style is horrible, far from the little sister of the GC.

BTW, just traded in my wife's Wrangler on a CX-5 this weekend. Got a 2014 Touring with the 2.5. FWIW, I find it far from slugish (everything I read on the internet said it was, must be true. It's on the webernet.....) This is my first Mazda. Was looking at the Compas and the Patriot, but wife liked the CX-5 better, and I am no at fan of the transmission in the compact jeeps.

Does it still nearly flip over when maneuvering around an obstacle at near highway speeds? if yes, then no thanks. There was a video they tested going around an obstacle, most SUV's did it with some body roll of course but the Jeep actually had two wheels come off the ground and in many instances the front tires actually popped.

Kodo sensibility? :D man that thing is hideous looks nothing like Kodo in my opinion. A huge fail in terms of exterior design.

Welcome to the 21st century. That was fixed a long time ago with coil springs and a track bar...

Welcome to the 21st century. That was fixed a long time ago with coil springs and a track bar...

Well you should tell that to the Jeep you love so much since the model year we're talking about is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so obviously Jeep are way behind all manufacturers when it comes to this ;) if you like it buy the damn thing IDGAF, just hope you don't have to make a sudden lane change on the highway :)

Last edited:
I'd love for you to show me a Mazda in the same situation.

And LOL at comparing a Jeep GC to a Tiguan and a Volvo. That's like Fiat 500 and a Shelby doing a 0-60.

Pretty sure the jeep didn't roll over either.

It does seem to have some pretty neat features, like the 9-speed transmission new engines, and I've always absolutely hated the Jeep Liberty that it'll be replacing. Syling is definitely controversial, but if it manages to overcome their existing model line's combination of low power output and horrible mileage, it stands a pretty good chance of being successful. It looks funky enough that I'll definitely take a good look and a test drive whenever one pops up at my local dealership.

Do you think it would have received less hatred if it wasn't called a cherokee?

I think that it's name has a lot of associations with it, whether it be good (practical off roader, kinda like the Nissan xtera) or bad (not so great handling, subpar reliability?). So people would be taking these associations and applying it to this new car. What I mostly known the cherokee for was it's off-roadabilty. This new one...doesn't seem like it could be the same.

Back