2013 CX-5 premature brake failure & Rotor help

bronx1211

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Hello all,

I have a CX-5 for my wife. It has less than 30k miles. I know this is an issue with the cx-5. Pads & Rotors go on the rear, fronts are good. I was able to change out the pads, but couldn't get the rotors off and it seems there is a set screw on the rotor like on my 2007 Ford Fusion (which takes a t-40 star bit), but there does not seem to be a screw head or even a slot. If someone can let me know how to get these rotors off, it would be a huge help. Thank you very much.

Assuming you did not get into metal on the rear pads, how are the new ones seating on the old rotors? If all seems well, you may just want to leave well enough alone. I always turn my rotors (many here replace), but if they weren't scored you may be OK just going with the new pads.

This is my wife's car and she did in fact get to Metal on metal... long story... not too happy. The rotors need to be replaced. I am assuming I need an impact driver to get the screw out, but I just want to make sure.

After you get the caliper and its bracket out of the way, the rotor will just pull forward and off. If it is stuck on, put some safety glasses on your face and whack it top then bottom with a hammer to break it loose.
Here is a site with a good how-to. http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/index.html

You will need a special tool to turn the rear pistons back in. The face of the piston has an X on it. You will need the X to be with a void at the bottom of the new pad to accommodate the little pin that is on it. Failure to line this deal up properly, will result in your inner rear pads getting wedged up against the rotor and sticking.

From another brakes thread:

ONE BIG NOTE on the rear piston: Make absolutely sure that the piston is in position shown in the following image after it's spun back into the caliper and make absolutely sure that after install complete, you pump your brake pedal to push the pistons back out before ever pulling the park brake. The pads have a pin on their back bottom that must align with a void in X pattern of the face of the piston.

rearpiston.jpg

Last edited:
Echoing what CX5-SO said - I just whacked the rotors with a rubber mallet to break them free. There were no retainer screws in the rears I just replaced.

Back