2002 Protege5 396whp 373tq!!!

What... the... hell.... is....your... trans...made ...out....of.......???

Impressive numbers but are you on a G-series? I know the 1st gen protege guys have been adapting yota transmissions.

great to hear brian!!! you never told me you getting dynotuned soon.... get all of your stuff straightened out that you need to refabricate such as the exhaust and all, build the tranny, go back and make 550whp and paint it!!! This guy and p5 has been my inspiration for a while and hopefully mine will be ready by JAN for some track days

I was more interested with what you had going on, sorry. Let me know when the rest of your parts come in. I think your deadline is quite reasonable. Hopefully you dont run into any major snags. With your previous car and experience, I'm sure you know what to look out for. That subie was bad as s*** man!!!!

Car's motor bay looks AWESOME i must say, dont like the bagged suspension cause I like my performance suspension stuff. But it looks awesome. I just want 300HP D: hahaha

Car's motor bay looks AWESOME i must say, dont like the bagged suspension cause I like my performance suspension stuff. But it looks awesome. I just want 300HP D: hahaha

ive heard that some of the air strut suspension setups actually perfrom pretty impressivly for baggs.

ive heard that some of the air strut suspension setups actually perfrom pretty impressivly for baggs.

The air struts I have are 9 way adjustable dampers. They can go from firm as hell to way too soft. I have them set to one click past half way towards being more firm. Any more than that and its really tight. Would probably be great on the track, but too jagged for daily driving. I like them way more than the other two suspension set ups I have had. I had Eibachs and Progress both with tokico blues and neither one really did it for me.

Its nice to be able to hit a switch to raise it up to go over speed bumps, or get in to some peoples driveways. The winter is even better because the snow drifts get retarded around here from the lake effect. Makes it possible to drive without getting under the car to twist the collars.

Going to parking lot meets is nice because people notice the car more sitting on the ground, especially with 18's. I had to roll the fenders and slightly modify the rear struts to tuck better. It will actually drive while all the way down without rubbing the wells, but I would hate to mess up the underside.

So yea, fit, form and function! I like it! Sometime down the road, I am going to fit Peizo pressure transducers in the lines and get rid of the mechanical gauges. The transducers will allow hook up to my carputer and can be programmed to do what ever I want. For example: turn ignition on and the car raises to set ride height. Key off and it lays on the ground. Then program a few buttons on the touchscreen for F.B.S.S. and individual corner control.

The air struts I have are 9 way adjustable dampers. They can go from firm as hell to way too soft. I have them set to one click past half way towards being more firm. Any more than that and its really tight. Would probably be great on the track, but too jagged for daily driving. I like them way more than the other two suspension set ups I have had. I had Eibachs and Progress both with tokico blues and neither one really did it for me.

Its nice to be able to hit a switch to raise it up to go over speed bumps, or get in to some peoples driveways. The winter is even better because the snow drifts get retarded around here from the lake effect. Makes it possible to drive without getting under the car to twist the collars.

Going to parking lot meets is nice because people notice the car more sitting on the ground, especially with 18's. I had to roll the fenders and slightly modify the rear struts to tuck better. It will actually drive while all the way down without rubbing the wells, but I would hate to mess up the underside.

So yea, fit, form and function! I like it! Sometime down the road, I am going to fit Peizo pressure transducers in the lines and get rid of the mechanical gauges. The transducers will allow hook up to my carputer and can be programmed to do what ever I want. For example: turn ignition on and the car raises to set ride height. Key off and it lays on the ground. Then program a few buttons on the touchscreen for F.B.S.S. and individual corner control.

yah, the kit i was looking at comes with a computer that automatically sets the suspension to the set ride height when the ignition is activated. it also adds air when needed if any of the struts were losing pressure.

What kit is it, and what dampers does it use ?

so ur air suspension is firm enough for handling too? lol thats awesome

What kit is it, and what dampers does it use ?

Its the Easystreet kit by Air Lift. Only "modified" from its original form. I did several things to make it unique from the way it came. I ditched the switch box and mounted switches by the e-brake, milled out the lower mounting hole of the rear struts to widen the stance, wired in an 80amp circuit breaker and relays for the dual compressors, upgraded the tank to an 8 gallon, made an adjustable dump control valve (slows down the dump for easier adjustability), and just recently put on the Moog Escape endlinks in the front. Theres an AWR rear swaybar ready to go on, but need to make some endlinks for that. When I took out the stock fuel system, it opened up enough space underneath to mount everything out of sight (except the air tank). Still need to finish up the vanity stuff for the trunk. I want what can be seen to look more integrated rather than just mounted.

This is such an amazing build, and of course, sick numbers on the Dyno! I really wish my car looked this nice!

thank you very much. seems like no matter how much is done, there always seems to be more. I am waiting on a firewire to usb adapter to come in from eBay. I am going to post the video once I get my video camera to hook up to my PC. It really sucked being there by myself. I was only able to shoot a few times while making pulls. At least there was a shot from inside and one from outside.

I will be going back to kill the 400 mark. Once I make the 3" exhaust and find a water to air intercooler that I like, we'll see what a difference it makes. Maybe I can get a friend to come along to video for me???

I'm sure someone would be more than willing to videotape!
Do you plan on doing Meth Injection, or anything else? Or just want to see what the Water to air and 3" make for a difference?

I'm sure someone would be more than willing to videotape!
Do you plan on doing Meth Injection, or anything else? Or just want to see what the Water to air and 3" make for a difference?

I am going to just set the boost to 217kpa (about 30psi) and see what I get. My tranny has held up for 105,000 miles totally bone stock (except LSD). I know it won't hold the power, but it should make for a nice You Tube video. I am really shocked its held on this long with all the other explosions out there. The crazy part is this is the third motor its been mated to. The only time it was split open was to check its clearances and to put in the welded LSD (thanks for the manual Shane). My fuel system is good for 700hp, but the turbo is rated to max out its efficiency around 525hp. If I hit 500, I would be really happy, but wouldnt be able to enjoy it with out the PAR stuff anyway.

Such an amazing job on this car dude!! About to figure out my issues :( today hopefully. Swapping in stock injectors and re-mapping for them first to see how she acts and sending my 565cc and 750cc injectors for flowtesting. Switch to stock ecu for emissions testing and maybe pop a cel to point me in a direction if injectors weren't my problem??

Have you been through many sets of coilpacks? Pm me if you like I don't want to clutter your thread :)

Last edited:
Such an amazing job on this car dude!! About to figure out my issues :( today hopefully. Swapping in stock injectors and re-mapping for them first to see how she acts and sending my 565cc and 750cc injectors for flowtesting. Switch to stock ecu for emissions testing and maybe pop a cel to point me in a direction if injectors weren't my problem??

Have you been through many sets of coilpacks? Pm me if you like I don't want to clutter your thread :)

I went thru a ton of coil packs a while back, or so I thought. It ended up being a major noise problem with my CKP. So I ended up getting the RA-10 for that. Thats the reason for the 7 coil packs in my garage sale. While on the dyno, I thought I was having an injector problem, so we used an infrared thermometer to check each exhaust port runner's temp. While idling they were running around 565*F and only varied 5*F. Then we checked just after a pull and they only varied 15*F. The car was making a popping sound, but we ended up making some adjustments to the Idle Air Stepper Motor and it was all good after that. It seemed like the AFR meter wasnt able to react fast enough to show when there was sudden fluctuations. But the dyno didnt show that there was a vacuum leak either. So thats how we figured it out that the stepper motor just needed to be adjusted.

Still trying to make the video, but heres a few still shots:

P5dynoFL.jpg

P5dynoFR.jpg

Back