2.0 Protege MP3 randomly dying.

neilv

:
1993 Mazda Miata
while driving yesterday my car bogged down so i killed it. couldnt get it started and got it towed home.

i have 5 codes: P0421(from no cat and always have it), P0335 which is crank sensor malfunction, P0037 which is H02S heater control circuit low :S, P0303 which is cyl 3 misfire and P1345 which i have no idea.

i have 25k on the rebuild head with timing belt and wp done at the same time. within a year i nave new plugs, coilpacks/wires, alternator and acc belts.

the car as FSZE cams, Focus adj cam gears, medieval LW accessory pulleys, header and full exhaust and a few other mods.

i was thinking fuel pump but seeing those codes makes me think a cam or crank sensor. any other ideas?

I'd have to address the crank sensor first. The misfire is most likely from the crank sensor dying. Looks like maybe dirty or dead o2 sensor as well. The crank sensor would be the one keeping the car from running IMO.

ive looked into that. we have 2 "crank sensors". 1 is the one actually at the crank(~$100) and the other one is at the cam on the valve cover(~$150). im going to try the crank one first.

i was thinking the same thing. the primary 02 sensor is new within the year to pass emissions. the secondary one has been extended with the mazdaspeed harness to be behind the cat. i am running a obx header(until turbo) an a vibrant race cat(barely even does anything at all) so thats why there is the 421 code.

what would heater control circuit low be?(p0037) and what the hell is P1345 as google shows nothing.

Are your coil packs under warranty? If so id start there so you don't have to spend any money. Have you thought about the non fouler for the p0421?

no warrenty for coilpack. they are a year old anyways so i doubt thats it. i may check cyl 3 if this doesnt fix it. i orders the crank position sensor and we will see if that fixes it. after 206k(km) im sure it needs replacing.

i want to get the non fouler. only problem is i need a short or curved one do to where the bung was welded. if its too much longer it wont fit because the hump for the tranny tunnel is there.

well i got the crank sensor in. but still wont start. it cranks and just gives me the 335 code constantly now.

timing is perfect, spark plugs are still good, battery was reset and the engine turns over. the code is for crank position sensor A malfunction. any more ideas?

yepp. 2 or 3 wires on the harness connector snapped off. Weird. Ill solder them tomorrow.

Back