2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

I know underhood temps willl be similar but it hits well over 100 degrees here for 3-4 months out of the year and my car is driven daily no matter what. I would hate to go through all the trouble and not even notice a difference

if your car is running fine as is, then keep it.

i changed mine out for two reasons: (1) because i needed a new coil pack anyway, and, at the time, the 1.8 set-up was about half the cost. now, the 1.8 coils cost twice as much as the 2.0 coils. i would have to think twice about it now. (2) mazda was running the 1.8 set-up on the world challenge protege race cars. if the set-up was good enough for them, it certainly should have been good enough for my car.

check out that engine bay (crazy)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 14070813073508May2001.jpg
    14070813073508May2001.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 832
Maxx Mazda has them on his built motor running 20PSI, bit of DEI reflective tape on the bracket and the coils helps and his are mounted very close to the manifold/turbo.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3130/dsc06343r.jpg

The reflective tape helps, but I also clearanced the bracket to gain an extra half inch of clearance. The coils themselves are well isolated from the heat. Don't forget that the coils run hot anyways, and while I'm sure having them sit above the manifold is less than ideal, to date I've had no issues with them overheating.

And for the record, I've taken those coils to 32psi on 100 leaded and methanol ;)

Back