18" Wheels

dude, don't do 205/50-17, way too big for the protege

^^^Thanks Nate...didn't realize my link was reset to the default page.

Here is the comparo between stock size and the 205/50/17....and if you do enter this comparison, a window pops up warning of possible brake failure if you exceed 3% of the diameter of the original tire size.

Stock Tire - 195/50R16
Tire 1 - 205/50R17
Section Width: 7.67 in 195 mm
Section Width: 8.07 in 205 mm

Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm
Rim Diameter: 17 in 431.8 mm

Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7 in
Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in

Overall Diameter: 23.67 in 601.21 mm
Overall Diameter: 25.07 in 636.77 mm

Sidewall Height: 3.83 in 97.282 mm
Sidewall Height: 4.03 in 102.36 mm

Radius: 11.83 in 300.48 mm
Radius: 12.53 in 318.26 mm

Circumference: 74.36 in 1888.7 mm
Circumference: 78.75 in 2000.2 mm

Revs per Mile: 878.7
Revs per Mile: 829.6

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 56.6 mph 94.4 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 5.918% too slow
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 5.59%

oh my god! i could have possible brake failure because i put on a heavier rim and a bigger tire!--------what planet are you guys from? obviously i also went with bigger brake rotors and calipers! i also KNOW that the speedo reads 5 mph slower, so i don't get any tickets. i don't have any rubbing problems at all, (which i'm sure can be different with a different brand of tire!) Yes, before the header and the intake, it did dog the motor a little, but barely noticable. I've been drag racing cars for 22 years, so this isn't new to me. I'm not saying to go out and put the same combo on your car that i did, but if you don't try something new, your gonna be just like everyone else! How many p5's have you seen with lexus is300 wheels?

slowmp5 said:
oh my god! i could have possible brake failure because i put on a heavier rim and a bigger tire!--------what planet are you guys from? obviously i also went with bigger brake rotors and calipers! i also KNOW that the speedo reads 5 mph slower, so i don't get any tickets. i don't have any rubbing problems at all, (which i'm sure can be different with a different brand of tire!) Yes, before the header and the intake, it did dog the motor a little, but barely noticable. I've been drag racing cars for 22 years, so this isn't new to me. I'm not saying to go out and put the same combo on your car that i did, but if you don't try something new, your gonna be just like everyone else! How many p5's have you seen with lexus is300 wheels?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40863

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40864

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40865

99 Pro said:
Dudes, will a +42mm offset on 18" rims work on the Protege sedan?
Should. I have 18" x 7.5" (+42mm offset) wheels with 215/35/18 tires on my MSP. And I'm lowered on Tein S-Tech springs. Never had a single issue with rubbing.

Not the best picture, but:
PHood2.jpg

THELEGENDJP said:
Man this is all so complicated.

How about 205/45/17's no lowering what so ever?
aside from looking odd because you're not lowering, you shouldn't rub (providing you have the right offset on your wheels)

slowmp5 said:

Whoa there...not knocking what you are doing, just quoting 1010tires.com tire calculator when I compared the two tires. I think the is300 wheels look very nice and to be honest never researched all that was involved with getting them to fit the P5.

THELEGENDJP said:
Man this is all so complicated.

How about 205/45/17's no lowering what so ever?

Just make sure the offset is right and you are good to go...I almost went 17's at stock height but thought the 40 and 45 sidewalls would look silly. In the end it is what you like though, after all it is your car and your money.

If you haven't seen this already, check it out, it will help you out with offsets and rim width..etc.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9129

it actually required some machining of the center hub, thats why i didn't figure there would be to many p5's with lexus wheels. I like to be different!

RedHotP5 said:
Just make sure the offset is right and you are good to go...I almost went 17's at stock height but thought the 40 and 45 sidewalls would look silly. In the end it is what you like though, after all it is your car and your money.

If you haven't seen this already, check it out, it will help you out with offsets and rim width..etc.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9129

So what did you go with?

THELEGENDJP said:
So what did you go with?

Kumho Ecsta AST in 205/50/16 for the rubber and.....more to come later.(glare) Almost picked up some '3' wheels and 205/40/17 rubber but after thinking REALLY hard opted not to. Roads around me aren't the greatest and I have no intentions of dropping....so I stuck with the stock size.

Back