#1352 checking in

kafn8ed

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So I just picked up a Mazdaspeed Protg this past Friday. A 2003.3, Blazing Yellow. Not quite the same yellow as the Focus SVT I was in before. It's a bit rough, so I have some work ahead of me. Already found it a blast to drive. I'm sure I'm gonna have some questions. I've been looking around the forums, and it looks like many of them are already answered. I'll get a few pics up later.

p.s. Yes, I did look up the build number before I signed up to the forum...

Sweet, msp vs svt? Comparison please.

Not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, but it's a start. Have to wait till after this weekend to drive the MSP more. Right now it's not tagged or insured. This is just my opinion, and I'm no professional.

What Ford did right:

Gave the car to car guys.
Built the motor far above the regular Focus.
Added extra, functional gauges.
6-speed, for highway driving.
The seats. My god, the seats.
Hatchbacks are cool.
(will think of more)

What Ford did wrong:

Using the Zetec, when they knew it was about to be replaced by the Duratec.
Poor ECU tune.
Very long travel on the clutch pedal, and a high engagement.
Super heavy flywheel.
Above two combined means either having to ride out the clutch, or rev up and almost dump it to get moving without bogging.
"Traction control" instead of a proper LSD.
Engine really comes alive at 6k rpm when intake manifold switches over. Redline at 7k-ish. Shift, and wait.

The MSP certainly feels like it out-handles the SVT. And looking at SCCA auto-X classes seems to confirm this. Found out when I took the SVT a few times, best I could hope for was the first spot behind the last MINI. MSP sure stays flatter through turns. Seats are not bad, but don't quite compare to the SVT's Recaros. Seating position, though. Always felt like I was sitting too high up in the Ford. Brakes feel pretty close. Shifter needs work in my MSP, so can't compare those. Somebody gutted the stereo before the previous owner ever got it, so can't compare those, either. Just has a regular Protg head unit. I'm gonna have to track down the proper amp/sub rack (even if it doesn't work), and the proper dash parts. I want that little cubby with the door. I think that's enough for now. Time to go check on the kid anyway.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, but it's a start. Have to wait till after this weekend to drive the MSP more. Right now it's not tagged or insured. This is just my opinion, and I'm no professional.

What Ford did right:

Gave the car to car guys.
Built the motor far above the regular Focus.
Added extra, functional gauges.
6-speed, for highway driving.
The seats. My god, the seats.
Hatchbacks are cool.
(will think of more)

What Ford did wrong:

Using the Zetec, when they knew it was about to be replaced by the Duratec.
Poor ECU tune.
Very long travel on the clutch pedal, and a high engagement.
Super heavy flywheel.
Above two combined means either having to ride out the clutch, or rev up and almost dump it to get moving without bogging.
"Traction control" instead of a proper LSD.
Engine really comes alive at 6k rpm when intake manifold switches over. Redline at 7k-ish. Shift, and wait.

The MSP certainly feels like it out-handles the SVT. And looking at SCCA auto-X classes seems to confirm this. Found out when I took the SVT a few times, best I could hope for was the first spot behind the last MINI. MSP sure stays flatter through turns. Seats are not bad, but don't quite compare to the SVT's Recaros. Seating position, though. Always felt like I was sitting too high up in the Ford. Brakes feel pretty close. Shifter needs work in my MSP, so can't compare those. Somebody gutted the stereo before the previous owner ever got it, so can't compare those, either. Just has a regular Protg head unit. I'm gonna have to track down the proper amp/sub rack (even if it doesn't work), and the proper dash parts. I want that little cubby with the door. I think that's enough for now. Time to go check on the kid anyway.
Yup, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Back