100K MP5 Club

The body is in great shape. No rust for me, as this car has spent its entire life in the Tennessee Valley and Southwest Florida region (garaged at night). Although it has seen some snow driving (no salt though), on a couple of occasions. This will make some people mad, but I have not had any problems with removing the endlinks for suspension work. Bummer about the rust, I used to see more of it when I lived in Washington, but not as much since I've been in the south. I will do my best to get some pics up soon, interior, exterior, underside, etc..., to show all how good these cars hold up with a little care. Enjoy the day!

Original timing belt all the way till 152K? Wow that's crazy. Did you inspect it every month or something in fear of breaking the belt? I'm at 105,000km now which is about 65,000 miles. Manual says replace at 168,000km or 105,000miles.

bazooka joe- I am at 191,819 as of this morning, which I am guessing I should hit 200k by March or so. I did my first timing belt at 152k, so I should be good there. Come spring the P5 will get new struts (coilovers), hawk brake pads, spark plugs, some beefier engine mounts, bigger rear sway bar, and possibly a new clutch and lighter flywheel. I really need to get some pics up for the naysayers to look at, I still need a new digi-cam cable to get all the pics off the camera on to the computer (cat issues). This is great to see all the high mileage cars still running well. Congrats everyone! Talk at you all later.

Original timing belt all the way till 152K? Wow that's crazy. Did you inspect it every month or something in fear of breaking the belt? I'm at 105,000km now which is about 65,000 miles. Manual says replace at 168,000km or 105,000miles.

That's nothing. TurboTodd just replaced his timing belt at 184,000 mi!!!! Yikes!!! Actually my belt looked good at 152,000mi when the mechanic showed it to me, plus our engine is non-interference so if it broke I'm stranded versus bent valvetrain, etc.. I read the same thing in the manual, 5 years or 105,000mi, and I chose to do it at the 5 year mark instead of the 105k mark due to the amount of miles I drive per year. Later.

That's nothing. TurboTodd just replaced his timing belt at 184,000 mi!!!! Yikes!!! Actually my belt looked good at 152,000mi when the mechanic showed it to me, plus our engine is non-interference so if it broke I'm stranded versus bent valvetrain, etc.. I read the same thing in the manual, 5 years or 105,000mi, and I chose to do it at the 5 year mark instead of the 105k mark due to the amount of miles I drive per year. Later.
yeah 184k is damn impressive! Our 2.0L engine is non-interference really?? Now that's good to know. I saw a posting elsewhere that said otherwise so I wasn't sure.

yeah 184k is damn impressive! Our 2.0L engine is non-interference really?? Now that's good to know. I saw a posting elsewhere that said otherwise so I wasn't sure.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, and my Mazda mechanics aren't lying to me, our 2.0L is non-interference. I read several postings that were debating the interference/non-interference issue so I asked the guys that should know more than I know, and that is what they said. Many moons ago while I was working at a large Honda dealership a kid came in (tow) with a CRX Si that had a Jackson racing supercharger kit on it and his timing belt had broke and bent 14 of his 16 valves (can we say interference motor), ouch$$$!! I did not want this happening with the P5, especially since it has this thing about hitting triple digit speeds several times a month (sssh). Anyways, be good, and welcome to the forums. Later.

This is for the guys worried about the timing belts!

Its made of rubber and it deteriorates over time. They say replace it at 80k based on the average miles per year someone put on a car.

You could put 300k on a car in two years from it being new and not have to worry about it. Now realisticly that wouldnt happen. Now take the same situation and flip it around. Lets say the car only has 32k on it but is 7 years old on the OEM belt. I would be more worried about it breaking then a car that is a few years old with highmilage and the OEM belt due the fact that the belt is rubber and the crap can dry rott.

124k Km

Im at 124k km , no problems so far..... the car has been great so far!
All I do is regular maintenance and had the timing belt changed.
Still on original brakes.

The car is very reliable (thumb) hoping to do another 300k km!

Last edited:
yea im manual but i dont have the stock clutch lol i replaced it about 500 miles ago cuz it was starting to suck realllllllly bad

original motor and tranny and everything cept oil filter exhaust intake and timing belt lol
(lurk)

Good on ya mate! I am at 193,600 miles on the original clutch and it still feels pretty good, no major slippage/chattering that I can detect yet. Woohoo!

Back