Who plans to own their CX-5 at least 10 years or more?

Assuming one did have a problem with motor after warranty... what would someone be looking at for a swap?

$1500-2000 including the install? I've seen some used SkyActivs on eBay for less than $1k

I've never swapped a car motor (only powersports) but if push came to shove I would probably try it in the CX as there is so much working space in that engine area.

Ha! I live in Rhode Island where we strongly consider booking a hotel room if a trip is > 20-30 miles.

ROFL! I've been there. I was so odd driving across it so swiftly! I grew up in Texas. That's like saying "I grew up in the East Coast" to you, lol!

Assuming one did have a problem with motor after warranty... what would someone be looking at for a swap?

$1500-2000 including the install? I've seen some used SkyActivs on eBay for less than $1k

I've never swapped a car motor (only powersports) but if push came to shove I would probably try it in the CX as there is so much working space in that engine area.

Depends on what you pay for the motor, and who does the swap. My Infiniti G20 lost the trans, and I replaced it for $1200 out the door, parts, labor, trans. Trans cost me around $650 IIRC. I couldn't imagine the CX5 engine costing more than that to swap, as the complexity should be similar or less, considering that I think the motor has to half-way come out to swap the G20 trans anyway.

I didn't feel the need to go auto until I reached 60.

I like an auto in a convenience vehicle/grocery getter. A fun car? Oh hell no. But for the daily beater? You betcha! Allows me to think less about operating the vehicle and more about driving in rush hour traffic, etc. Now granted, I shifted "on auto pilot" and all, but I'm sure it still took up SOME processing power I'd rather burn on traffic.

I wasn't planning on keeping it for ten years, when I have purchased it, but since we have purchased a house and my wife owns a 08' CRV, she is next on buying a car(most likely, next September, when I'm done paying for my CX). I will have to wait, until her car will be paid off.

I wasn't planning on keeping it for ten years, when I have purchased it, but since we have purchased a house and my wife owns a 08' CRV, she is next on buying a car(most likely, next September, when I'm done paying for my CX). I will have to wait, until her car will be paid off.

What do you think you will replace the CRV with?

Most likely, the new one. It would be a huge upgrade. Her LX is so noisy, we can barely hear the radio in it.

Me either, and glad my girl felt the same way and wanted a 16.5...

I had for a day a 16' I guess(not sure exactly, which one it was though), since the dealership it was replacing some seat parts(whole bottom and lumbar support).
My wife, really liked it as well.

I was going for 7 years, but I'm putting on more miles than I thought I would. I'm at 71k now. Got my Mazda in 3/13. The incentives for the 16.5 are too good to pass up and I have an awful itch to upgrade.

5 years 70k miles.......check back with me 5 years later at 150k+ miles.

My original intentions was 10+ years... and that should only put me at a minimum of ~100,000-120,000 miles. But I do have to say, I am leery it'll last that long. Knowing I'll be replacing my brakes at around 40k has already left a bitter taste in my mouth (haven't had a chance to check the caliper pins yet). Couple that with endless rattles and other minor irritants this just might end up testing my threshold for patience.

If anything major goes post warranty (LED headlight, tranny, expensive electronics), then it'll be gone as soon as I find suitable replacement.

Not sure just yet. Ours is a 3yr lease and the wife isn't too crazy about the new front end. Let me check back in, in 2yrs and 6mos.

I aim to keep mine a good long while, but it replaced an 8 year old Volvo S40 with 60K miles on the clock and nothing wrong but an irritating leak through the sunroof. Have to hold on for 5 years to pay off the loan though.

** for info, volvos are expensive to maintain! 60 per half hour labour costs.

Back