intake

omg! it's not an acura no type S......J/K depends on how the tb is located and angled in the i-trim. anyone have internal specs on the 2.0 and if it has vtcs?

when i got my 3, i test drove both the i and s. the engine is same layout. no difference. but the 2.0 i doesnt have the vvt.

Last edited:
reason I asked if it had vtcs is because some cars other than 3 and 6 have it (mazdawize) it restricts airflow in lower rpm for economy...the vvt v6 in the 6 didn't even get that... and yes if it's the same layout then it'll fit but won't have similar gains or tone...i'd invest in adjustable cam gears and advance timming using a dyno...

It doesn't restrict airflow for economy. What it does is on a 16v motor, at low rpm the intake charge slows which decreases the volumetric efficiency of each cylinder. Less air/fuel gets in. By closing part of the intake runner it increases the speed of the air/fuel charge providing better cylinder filling. this results in better torque and more horsepower. 8v motors are not as susceptible to this because the head does not flow as well. That is why they have more torque (generally speaking) than coparable 16v motors.

This system was designed to increase drivability and performance, not economy.

Britt

mazda claims the opposite...at least for the 2.3
The variable tumble control system (VTCS) was created to help emissions at low RPMs. The valve closes part of the intake path, increasing the velocity of the intake charge. The faster intake charge then has the inertia to swirl around the combustion chamber and more thoroughly mix with the fuel for combustion. Intake charge speed is less of an issue on valves that do not open very much, but recall that Mazda's VVT does not vary valve lift. At low RPMs, VTCS is needed to compensate for this. The valve does not completely disengage until 3750rpm. Mazda claims this technology is used to improve emissions, not torque.
enginetech_vtcs.gif
Ok I realized what you ment now.....it's there but once it drops and vilm changes it aids in the 7 psi increase in the intake charge....making it realy nice and....fast...reason I cruise on a gear till 4000 and punch it for passing(laugh)

Last edited:
Back