2017~2024 Swapped the CorkSport intake for an AEM

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
So I did a thing. I purchased the Uber expensive AEM intake and swapped out my corksport intake with it. I prefer the AEM over the corksport. It’s also not as loud with the induction sounds either. I felt like the CS intake was super loud compared to this. Still get great induction and blow off sounds though. Probably the materials quiet it down more. All in all was it worth is over the CS? Kinda, the housing is better as far as aesthetics and the piping I prefer the finish of the aluminum piping. Stayed cool to the touch after a spirited drive granted it was only 60 degrees out today, we will see come summer time. Is say if you have the extra money, go for it. Otherwise the CS is a great choice as well.

Attachments

• 09B22C18-A16B-4BCF-A9C9-5605B8D739CF.jpeg
    09B22C18-A16B-4BCF-A9C9-5605B8D739CF.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 440
  • F4B233C8-9589-4032-A655-24D6608D5E4E.jpeg
    F4B233C8-9589-4032-A655-24D6608D5E4E.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 355
I would’ve went with the burger motor sports intake. They’re producing a full aluminum piping kit that connects to the turbo and not just the crushed plastic factory piping… I’m waiting for it and a jb4

None of the intakes actually utilize the stock snorkel as well as the OEM setup does. I think K&N might reuse the stock snorkel, but they just plumb it to an open area where the cone filter is, so the intake isn't actually sucking air from the front of the radiator at all.

This setup looks like it would utilize the stock snorkel but it requires some cutting and moving the driver side horn in order to install.

This setup looks like it would utilize the stock snorkel but it requires some cutting and moving the driver side horn in order to install.

It's just adding some CF flair to the existing snorkel. It doesn't actually enhance airflow in any way. Plus you have to cut up your existing shrouds and move one of the horns like you said. Not worth it for a CF accent piece, IMO.

Fwiw, I have an AEM cold air intake on my Tacoma. Started with stock, and then some brand, long forgotten, that wasn't too expensive and finally opened my wallet wider for the AEM. Have had it for 15+ years and have had zero issues. Good sound when on the loud petal. Works better if you open up the exhaust as well.

Reactions: Jef
None of the intakes actually utilize the stock snorkel as well as the OEM setup does. I think K&N might reuse the stock snorkel, but they just plumb it to an open area where the cone filter is, so the intake isn't actually sucking air from the front of the radiator at all.
The snorkel is generally intended to keep the noise in check but has the added benefit to allow rain water to exit before getting into the intake valve. When not raining during dry weather the bottom of the snorkel contains air much cooler than the rest of the engine bay. So the intake valve sucks air coming from outside the engine and a bit from the snorkel's area too.

There's a person on Youtube recording his Mazda3 Skyactiv engine temps being hotter after removing said snorkel.

All said I like the AEM dry flow filter to supplement the current stock setup and call it a day.

It's just adding some CF flair to the existing snorkel. It doesn't actually enhance airflow in any way. Plus you have to cut up your existing shrouds and move one of the horns like you said. Not worth it for a CF accent piece, IMO.

Cool idea, but the OEM intake gets its air from the grille, through the opening at the hood latch. That's a lot of money for bling, as sm1ke says. I removed the small latch cover and bought auto weatherstripping to seal the area as much as practical to ensure only cool and maybe mildly pressurized air got to the snorkel.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/i/20201001_150745e-jpg.63426/

https://mazdas247.com/forum/i/20201001_150758e-jpg.63425/

Cool idea, but the OEM intake gets its air from the grille, through the opening at the hood latch. That's a lot of money for bling, as sm1ke says. I removed the small latch cover and bought auto weatherstripping to seal the area as much as practical to ensure only cool and maybe mildly pressurized air got to the snorkel.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/i/20201001_150745e-jpg.63426/

https://mazdas247.com/forum/i/20201001_150758e-jpg.63425/
G’day, just checked your pics and I have had similar for few months. Have you noticed any changes either good or bad. I have noticed a decrease in fuel consumption where I can get down to 6l/100k, whereas before high 7’s was usual. Power and torque, I am not sure but at light throttle it seems to be easier to go up hills?

What is the part number for aem cold air intake for the CX-5 turbo? I didn't see it listed on their website, only had it for the 6 & cx-9.

What is the part number for aem cold air intake for the CX-5 turbo? I didn't see it listed on their website, only had it for the 6 & cx-9.
I used the one for the 6 & cx-9. It’s the same and fits the same. I just took this part off because I sold the car. Part is sitting in my garage in the box.

Latest posts

Back