How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

easy easy easy

drew72ca said:
If you go back a page on this thread you will see how I did it so they can be on, even if the parking lights are not. I tapped into the cigarette lighter to provide power to the relay so whenever my key is on, the lights can be on, but they are controlled by the switch. Take a look at the pics and my instructions if you want to do it this way. It's a similar process with a couple little differences, but the pictures and my description should help ya do it.

Andy

Hey thanx for the how-to. What I did was hook the red wire from the relay to true ignition. If you have an alarm your alarms ignition wire should be hooked to this already so all you really need to do is tap into that wire. This way my fogs are on whenever my car is on. Then i just grounded the red/white wire from the switch to a chassie ground. Still have full controll of my fogs when I want with the switch. Even though I never turn them off I still can if I wanted to. Took like 15 minutes. Thanx again

Last edited:
Wire Help

luvmyprotege5 said:
Hey thanx for the how-to. What I did was hook the red wire from the relay to true ignition. If you have an alarm your alarms ignition wire should be hooked to this already so all you really need to do is tap into that wire. This way my fogs are on whenever my car is on. Then i just grounded the red/white wire from the switch to a chassie ground. Still have full controll of my fogs when I want with the switch. Even though I never turn them off I still can if I wanted to. Took like 15 minutes. Thanx again

Hi Everyone

I am not car enthusiast. How do I find the true ignition wire ? Where is it ? I would appreciate from your help, pictures are excellent if you have it

Thank you very much

the way i did it was off my cd player. if you have an aftermarket deck, its real easy. there should be a red wire going into your cd player, thats your ignition power-on. the yellow is your battery power-on. with stock setup, its a little more complex, ill let the other guys explain that.

klieu said:
Hi Everyone

I am not car enthusiast. How do I find the true ignition wire ? Where is it ? I would appreciate from your help, pictures are excellent if you have it

Thank you very much
The true ignition is a blue wire, maybe 10 or 12 gauge. You can find it under the dash right under the steering column. It will be comming from the ignition in a group of wires. Use a test light if you have one, the true ignition is the wire that does not shut off when you start the car.

Sweet! I'm the same way, I have them on always. The only time I turn them off is if I happen to be running my radio (ignition on) while washing the car or sitting in the car just relaxing, waiting for something.

Andy

luvmyprotege5 said:

hey guys,i broke my fog light switch was wondering if i can some how get the fogs to light up without the switch or mabey help connecting a toggle switch.thanx.. albert

You can replace the switch with a standard toggle switch or illuminated switch. If you take a look through this thread, there should be the information on how the switch is wired up. Basically, the stock switch has 4 wires. 2 wires provide a 12V and ground, to illuminate the switch with the parking / dash lights. The other two wires just function as a normally open switch. If you can't find the information on the thread, let us know. One of us can double check and get the wiring colors for you. You will need to remove the wiring harness plug, or splice into it to run a standard toggle switch or illuminated toggle. Have you checked with the dealr on the price of a new switch? If it's not real expensive, I'd go that route.

Andy

albystyle said:
hey guys,i broke my fog light switch was wondering if i can some how get the fogs to light up without the switch or mabey help connecting a toggle switch.thanx.. albert

(attn) I would just go to a junk yard and get a switch out of a wrecked protege. its small enough to just slip into your pocket and just leave. (gossip)

well none of the local junkyards have any 3rd generations and the dealer wants almost $60.00.i'm probably better off using a toggle switch.do i need one with 2 or 4 connecters?does anyone know which wire is which,or how to connect the toggle?(sorry i'm a newbie).... thanks albystyle

You can use a standard switch with 2 prongs and just use it as a switch, then hook it to the two wires that the fog light switch controls just as a switch.

If you want it illuminated, it will be a 3 prong switch. 1 prong will be for the illumination, which you can tie to the voltage coming into the stock switch to illuminate it. The second prong will make the connection for the "switch". The third will be a common/ground. You would hook the common/ground from the stock switches "switch" wire AND illumination wire, then hook the other two wires up to the illumination and the other side of the "switch", respectively.

If you don't know much about switches and electrical, I'd have someone help you do it.

Andy

albystyle said:
well none of the local junkyards have any 3rd generations and the dealer wants almost $60.00.i'm probably better off using a toggle switch.do i need one with 2 or 4 connecters?does anyone know which wire is which,or how to connect the toggle?(sorry i'm a newbie).... thanks albystyle

thanks andy,i hooked up a switch with three prongs, the only problem is the foglights only light up with my parkings lights and shuts off with my low beams.i try every combo possible and blew 5 fuses.i guess i'll just live with that for now. thanks albert

Hmmm, not sure why it's doing that. Can you tell me how it's wired up and maybe I can help.

Andy

albystyle said:
thanks andy,i hooked up a switch with three prongs, the only problem is the foglights only light up with my parkings lights and shuts off with my low beams.i try every combo possible and blew 5 fuses.i guess i'll just live with that for now. thanks albert

well guys, got another problem....i just went and bought another stock switch and connected every thing as normal....(at least i hope so)....well now i lost my dash and parking lights....help! anybody! .........albystyle

Sounds to me like something might be miswired. I would suggest getting a schematic of the wiring and check it thouroughly. See if the Mazda dealer has it or go to an auto parts store and buy a Haynes manula for your car. Something may be wired wrong or shorted.

Andy

albystyle said:
well guys, got another problem....i just went and bought another stock switch and connected every thing as normal....(at least i hope so)....well now i lost my dash and parking lights....help! anybody! .........albystyle

hey guys i just need a favor.can someone look at their harness connected to the stock foglight switch and tell exactly which wire goes in which slot....i think thats my problem because when i removed the wires from the harness i didn't note the order of the wires.....basically if someone can tell me which wire goes where with the harness clip facing up.....once i get that right, then i can start troubleshooting....thanks and i really appreiciate all the help..... albert

Did my fogs last night, at work, in the parking lot of the grocery store I work p/t at. Best 5 minute mod ever! (and free, too)

All I want to do is cut out the DRL altogether! How ??? Can I just clip the YELLOW/GREEN wire connected to the parking brake switch and that will turn off the DRL? My new HID kit is freaking out cause it doesn't know what to do with the DRL signal.

If you look through this thread, or search under foglights, you will find the information posted for the canadian version of cars with the daytime running lights. That schematic in that post shows you how the DRL's work and you should be able to figure it from there on what you need to disconnect to disable them.

Andy

andyfatsax said:
All I want to do is cut out the DRL altogether! How ??? Can I just clip the YELLOW/GREEN wire connected to the parking brake switch and that will turn off the DRL? My new HID kit is freaking out cause it doesn't know what to do with the DRL signal.

Back