2018 CX5 vs 2018 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot to add that the CX-5 comes standard with an excellent 6-speed automatic transmission that is universally praised by everyone.
Yeah SkyActiv-Drive transmission is one of the best in design and that’s part of reason we bought our CX-5. But I thought the transmission a little out of date and I wish Mazda can add at least 1 extra gear or 2. Besides, I really don’t feel SA-Drive transmission is more reliable than CR-V’s CVT as I’ve seen one too many members here had transmission replaced (if my memory serves me correctly, your CX-5 is one of them) even at very early stage, but Honda’s CVT problem so far only requires software updates. And 377,895 new CR-V owners in 2017 they don’t care to have a CVT or most likely ther don’t even care what kind of transmission they have as long as their car moves! I guess 127,563 new CX-5 owners in 2017 may care more about transmission but that is a minority among all compact CUV owners.

Yeah SkyActiv-Drive transmission is one of the best in design and thats part of reason we bought our CX-5. But I thought the transmission a little out of date and I wish Mazda can add at least 1 extra gear or 2. Besides, I really dont feel SA-Drive transmission is more reliable than CR-Vs CVT as Ive seen one too many members here had transmission replaced (if my memory serves me correctly, your CX-5 is one of them) even at very early stage, but Hondas CVT problem so far only requires software updates. And 377,895 new CR-V owners in 2017 they dont care to have a CVT or most likely ther dont even care what kind of transmission they have as long as their car moves! I guess 127,563 new CX-5 owners in 2017 may care more about transmission but that is a minority among all compact CUV owners.

Well considering the scope of this discussion is OP weighing one CUV vs. another, I believe he already stated a general dislike for CVT. For the general population, I do agree that you are correct, they probably don't care, but I don't see how that weighs in here.

and I may have missed it, I admit Yrwei I skimmed your wall of text, so please don't persecute me if I am wrong. That was a good write up. But I did not see you mention the HUD?
Did I just miss it?
That's a huge deal when not ONE competitor offers that.
I'm guessing they will soon. :D

He did: Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition

Ah, copy that. They really need to call it a HUD. Active driving display? That's a bad name for it.

The only conclusion you can make from that is that your wife's Nissan CVT failed, as stated. It implies nothing about CVTs in general. It's an anecdote. Perhaps Nissan's design had problems. Or perhaps you were unlucky. [I will not comment on Nissan in general, but some might.]

Can anyone point to documentation that shows that CVTs are failing at an abnormal rate?

Lots of people hate them for how they respond and how they sound, but that's unrelated to reliability.

No it's not, you're an anecdote. My friends altima CVT has also failed. they are dropping like dead birds left right and center... it is a very well known fact about CVT's.

Chris you may wanna just lock down this thread. It always ends ugly :D

I test drove a 15 Civic, felt very bland. The linearity of throttle response for Mazda is fantastic-this is something that never gets enough credit. Its called "Certainty" - repeat-ability - and there are 70K plus CX5s still confirming that the tranny shifts smooth and sweet. Another aspect for the guy who posted Fuelly #s, avg age of a CRV owner is 60 years, CX5 is 47. That might make a small difference, plus if you are a relaxed driver, see my trip mpg #s. mid 30s - todays peak was 39.4. Fantastic again. These are really good features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back