Which 2014 Touring to buy

mmitsch

I need some advice. I have a choice between 2 vehicles to buy. Both are 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring. Both have about 38K miles.

One is White and has leather seats. This one has 2 different front tires vs rear tires and has been in an accident and repaired. Title is clear (not salvage). It only has 1 key, a few chips and is otherwise pretty clean. It is missing a key (only has 1, not 2).

The other is metallic gray with cloth seats. It has all the same tires and has had no accidents. Title is clear. I believe it has both keys.

Both are 1 owner vehicles and lease returns.

Pricing is relatively the same.

Do you folks think the leather interior is better than the cloth? Any ideas?

Your advice and thoughts are appreciated!

Mike

Are they AWD? If not, I think you are stressing about the tires too much. Is the one with leather a GT with other options over the gray one, I can't remember all the packages available then. Could you get leather on a touring?

Where do you live? You may have more use for a AWD vehicle depending on your climate.

Personally, I don't care much for the aesthetics as much as I do for safety and functionality so I'm leaning to the one without the accident. But how much are these vehicles anyway and are you getting them from a reputable source?

So many questions...

Easy choice for me. Pick the one that hasn't been in an accident. You never know what sort of problems could be hiding under the repair.

There was never a TOURING with LEATHER. So either it is a GRAND TOURING, or someone swapped out the interior. Does it have heated seats?

Having had 1 FWD, and 2 AWD's, I would prefer having the AWD. It is so nice being able to floor it to get into traffic and not have to worry about spinning the front tires and traction control kicking in while trying to merge.

A car with accident, mismatched tires, and only 1 fob vs. no accident, matching tires, and 2 fobs?

Easy choice... Car with accident will always be worth less. Matching the tires again will be a ~$600 cost. Buying another fob and having it programmed, $200.

No matter if it is a GRAND TOURING or a TOURING, the white car would have to be at least $2000 under KBB price for me to even consider it.

There was never a TOURING with LEATHER. So either it is a GRAND TOURING, or someone swapped out the interior. Does it have heated seats?

Having had 1 FWD, and 2 AWD's, I would prefer having the AWD. It is so nice being able to floor it to get into traffic and not have to worry about spinning the front tires and traction control kicking in while trying to merge.

A car with accident, mismatched tires, and only 1 fob vs. no accident, matching tires, and 2 fobs?

Easy choice... Car with accident will always be worth less. Matching the tires again will be a ~$600 cost. Buying another fob and having it programmed, $200.

No matter if it is a GRAND TOURING or a TOURING, the white car would have to be at least $2000 under KBB price for me to even consider it.

Fully agree with this post.

For me the non-accident car is the easy choice.

You can buy a car in an accident as long as its a small accident to the doors or some parking lot scratch. As soon as the engine bay is involved walk away, walk away if frame damage is there.
With the details you said both seem to be different trims.
I have a Touring with cloth seat in Texas heat. I will not take a 1000 dollars for swapping to leather. Leather is worth maybe if you have pets for cleaning etc. But my cloth seats have done well despite the abuse.
2nd Touring has 2 packages -bose and moon roof 1100
Tech package - not sure the cost.

There are ways to evaluate if either car has tech package - I think it includes LED Headlights (maybe i am wrong). But figuring these out will show you that the one in accident is possible more equipped but unless you trust the dealer or source - stay away.
Good luck.

yup... agree with everyone. non-accident vehicle by a mile.
+1

White Touring with non factory leather seats, unmatched tires, one key fob, been in accident, all warning sighs that the previous owner didn't care much about the vehicle!

Yep, grey one, hands down.

Where do you live? You may have more use for a AWD vehicle depending on your climate.

Personally, I don't care much for the aesthetics as much as I do for safety and functionality so I'm leaning to the one without the accident. But how much are these vehicles anyway and are you getting them from a reputable source?

So many questions...

Thank you for your response! I opted for the Touring gray AWD. Have a deposit on it. Oddly enough, it had mismatched tires too -- must be my luck. Has a Continental, General and 2 Yokohama's. You can view this at https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned).

Let me know your thoughts.

Only flaw I have noted is some junk on the front bumper (lower).

I really do appreciate your help and comments. If you do look at the car give me a shout on your opinion.

Thank all of you for your advice! I am trying to figure out how to thank all of you with replies and thought I would try this. Seemed unanimous to get the car that had not been in an accident and had AWD. I have a deposit in now and if you want to check the car out it is at https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). Believe it or not there is a tire mis-match on this one too! Only other thing I can see is some crud on the lower front bumper.

Again, thanks to all of you!!!!

Congrats! Since it's AWD, check the tread wear on each tire. They need to all be around the same wear.

Though if I were you, I'd just go ahead and get a new set of tires.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thank all of you for your advice! I am trying to figure out how to thank all of you with replies and thought I would try this. Seemed unanimous to get the car that had not been in an accident and had AWD. I have a deposit in now and if you want to check the car out it is at https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). Believe it or not there is a tire mis-match on this one too! Only other thing I can see is some crud on the lower front bumper.

Again, thanks to all of you!!!!
Didn't think you can buy used cars on eBay, and there're plenty of used CX-5's! It seems a very low price at $13,633.00 for a 38K-mile 2014 Touring. Not much info for the CX-5 you bought as the sale has ended, but it seems to be a nice、clean vehicle based on the picture. One advice though, the tires. You should keep all 4 tires at about the same tread depth and the same type/brand/model for an AWD vehicle. You can check how new the Yoko's pair are. If not much tread left and they're Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H, you know they're from factory. Then keep one between General and Continental if it has right size with H-rated、more tread left and buy 3 more to match it. Those tires except the OE I listed in your another thread are all good tires and they usually can last 60,000 miles if you keep tires rotated. Buying a whole set of new tires from reputable national-chained tire store such as Discount Tire or Costco is a good investment as not only 4 new tires make your CX-5 AWD much safer but also you get free tire services such as tire rotation and flat repair. I personally would recommend getting a new set of General AltiMAX RT43 tires.

Didn't think you can buy used cars on eBay, and there're plenty of used CX-5's! It seems a very low price at $13,633.00 for a 38K-mile 2014 Touring. Not much info for the CX-5 you bought as the sale has ended, but it seems to be a nice、clean vehicle based on the picture. One advice though, the tires. You should keep all 4 tires at about the same tread depth and the same type/brand/model for an AWD vehicle. You can check how new the Yoko's pair are. If not much tread left and they're Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H, you know they're from factory. Then keep one between General and Continental if it has right size with H-rated、more tread left and buy 3 more to match it. Those tires except the OE I listed in your another thread are all good tires and they usually can last 60,000 miles if you keep tires rotated. Buying a whole set of new tires from reputable national-chained tire store such as Discount Tire or Costco is a good investment as not only 4 new tires make your CX-5 AWD much safer but also you get free tire services such as tire rotation and flat repair. I personally would recommend getting a new set of General AltiMAX™ RT43 tires.

Thank you for your response! I have a quick question on tires. We can get AltiMAX 225/65R17 102T tires at WalMart for $99 each. They don't have the AltiMAX 225/65R17 102H
tires. Do you think the H or the T is better. I think the H is rated at a higher speed than the T. Let me know your thoughts. I can find the 225/65R17 102H's if that's what I should get.

Thank you for your response! I have a quick question on tires. We can get AltiMAX 225/65R17 102T tires at WalMart for $99 each. They don't have the AltiMAX 225/65R17 102H
tires. Do you think the H or the T is better. I think the H is rated at a higher speed than the T. Let me know your thoughts. I can find the 225/65R17 102H's if that's what I should get.
Since the top speed for our CX-5 is 120 mph, I'd stay with at least H-rated tires as T-rated tires are designed for the top speed of 118 mph. If the Walmart has General AltiMAX RT43 tire, it should be 225/65R17 102H, not T rated. On the other hand, Continental TrueContact is T rated and has lesser maximum inflation pressure at 44 psi instead RT43's 51. Do you have Discount Tire Store near by? They have better tire machines and provide free lifetime rotation、balancing、flat repair、and prorated mileage warranty nation wide when you purchase tires from them.

Since the top speed for our CX-5 is 120 mph, I'd stay with at least H-rated tires as T-rated tires are designed for the top speed of 118 mph. If the Walmart has General AltiMAX RT43 tire, it should be 225/65R17 102H, not T rated. On the other hand, Continental TrueContact is T rated and has lesser maximum inflation pressure at 44 psi instead RT43's 51. Do you have Discount Tire Store near by? They have better tire machines and provide free lifetime rotation、balancing、flat repair、and prorated mileage warranty nation wide when you purchase tires from them.

Wanted to thank you for the Discount tire tip. I called them this morning and they beat all other prices and had the General AltiMAX RT43 H rated tires. All you said was correct too - warranty, etc. and they were really reasonable for install, etc.. Will keep you and others up to speed on how all this goes -- we get the new car on Friday. I have a very excited daughter.

Latest posts

Back