Another CX-5 warranty thread!

I have been leasing a 2019 CX-5 GT. A year and a half ago, it was stolen and then sat in the repair shop for 11 months waiting for doors and other parts from Mazda. I got it back on the same day my lease expired, so I had to extend it 6 months just to take possession and check it out. Now that 6 month extension is up and I have about a week to decide what to do. I plan on purchasing it outright - it only has 20K miles and the residual value is quite low at $18K. But I don’t know if the accident would affect the original warranty (as a leased vehicle, would it still be covered by manufacturer drivetrain warranty?) or if an extended warranty is worth it (would the accident lead to “pre-existing” exclusions?).

Any advice is welcome! The dealership knows I want to buy it outright from Chase Bank (if I trade it in for another lease they’ll charge me $3K due to the accident), but they want to sell me an extended warranty. I have not gotten back to them to look at their warranty options and prices - waiting to see what info you all provide first. Thanks!

Is your title now branded? Rebuilt title? That would make a difference in the value and perhaps effect the factory warranty. Personally, I'd skip extended warranties.

I would call Mazda Corporate directly to ask the question of how the repairs done during the lease would affect the factory warranty, and whether the car would be eligible for an extended warranty. With just a week to make your decision, a call would probably be your best bet, with a request to email you to confirm the answer so you have a "paper trail" when you deal with the dealership. I personally wouldn't contact the dealership to ask how this would work because they could lie about the process in order to sell you an extended warranty.

You should still have powertrain warranty coverage up to 2024, depending on your in-service date. If you decide you want an extended warranty, know that prices are negotiable - if you're comfortable with it, haggle as much as you can. Most warranties have about 50% of "juice" in them, so the closer you can get to 50% off of the regular price, the better. And try to get a warranty provided by Mazda, not a 3rd party warranty.

I second the motion to skip the extended warranty. It's a cash cow for the dealership.

Is your title now branded? Rebuilt title? That would make a difference in the value and perhaps effect the factory warranty. Personally, I'd skip extended warranties.
Not sure what “branded” means? It’s not a salvage title, if that’s what you mean. Insurance refused to total the car, side airbags deployed but not front. I don’t think there was any engine or mechanical damage. Repair shop told me there was no frame damage, but when I took it to the dealer to inquire about trading it in for a 2023 lease, they told me the car fax showed frame damage and that they would value it at $15K vs the $18K residual value meaning I’d have to give them $3K. CarMax, however, valued it at $21K.

Not sure what “branded” means? It’s not a salvage title, if that’s what you mean ...
Yep, that's what I was wondering.

A wreck does devalue a car. I know it would have me looking more closely, expecting concessions or passing completely on one of I was a buyer. You would think that would be all hashed out in the insurance payment from a claim but doesn't seem to add up.

Back