Soul Red Crystal or Machine Grey

Do you have the HUD? And can you see it with the polarized sunglasses? I've heard you can't see it so well. Just curious about your experience.

It dims it, but you can still see it. You can crank up the brightness if you are going to wear polarized glasses.

Do you have the HUD? And can you see it with the polarized sunglasses? I've heard you can't see it so well. Just curious about your experience.

I do have the HUD. I have two identical sets of polarized glasses. With one, the HUD is very visible and with the other, it's appreciably dimmed. I guess the orientation of the lens material is different between the two. If you cock your head from side to side, the brightness of the display changes with both sets of glasses.

If I crank up the HUD brightness, it's readily viewable with either set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really liked the dark blue, but it only came with the parchment interior, which I did not care for. To me the parchment looks white, and with the black trim it is just too clashing. I would have gotten the dark blue had it come with a black interior. Instead I got black, and to me it looks like every other black CUV on the road. Sometimes I have a hard time finding it in a parking lot. I don't like the red, mainly because it's "too" red and I prefer a darker, more maroon-ish red (that color CRV is just gorgeous, and their light interior, a true tan, is too), plus I didn't think it matched well with the dark plastic molding around the bottom.

Would love to have the CRV colors on the CX-5, but in the end, Mazda's price beat Honda's color.

I really liked the dark blue, but it only came with the parchment interior, which I did not care for. To me the parchment looks white, and with the black trim it is just too clashing. I would have gotten the dark blue had it come with a black interior. Instead I got black, and to me it looks like every other black CUV on the road. Sometimes I have a hard time finding it in a parking lot. I don't like the red, mainly because it's "too" red and I prefer a darker, more maroon-ish red (that color CRV is just gorgeous, and their light interior, a true tan, is too), plus I didn't think it matched well with the dark plastic molding around the bottom.

Would love to have the CRV colors on the CX-5, but in the end, Mazda's price beat Honda's color.

Dark Blue and Red with Parchment is a superb combination. Black - in these two vehicles looks odd, less odd with Red. Many here with black think their CX-5 looks like a Cave internally. The 16.5 center console which is greyish around shifters looks black in 99% of the light conditions. I had parchment cloth as my prime choice. Hard to find but got it and got a great deal.

To the OP who has vanished - Red is def.. more safe color on the road than grey if you are hauling kids etc. around. Grey just blends in the tarmac - seen any old Subaru's with faded grey and grey plastic trim all round - Its impossible to see those in many light conditions.

Only color worse than grey is Dark Green.

HA! Maybe I'm a closet cave-dweller then, because my F250 has a black interior too! I just find it soothing and quiet. But Ford has some crackheads designing their superduty interiors - like five different colors if you get the tan! GAH!

Besides, my truck is dark blue, and I just can't have two vehicles the same color...........

Soul Crystal Red is one flashy shade of red. If you want to be seen, then red is the color to get. Its Mazdas stand out color to answer the Subaru Crosstreks stand out color of orange. I suspect that lots of people will say they like the Soul Crystal Red but few will end up buying a CX-5 in the color. Its too flashy for most people. It looks better on a sports car like a Miata then on a SUV.

If you havent seen a CX-5 in both colors, then go to a dealership. You need to see them both in person. Dont make a color decision based on a color swatch in a glossy sales brochure or computer screen. Id say that its mostly your personality type that determines your color preference and not how well a color hides dirt and dust.

You can get the dark blue with black interior now. It's what I have :)

Don’t make a color decision based on a color swatch in a glossy sales brochure..
ha, can't even do that with the 2017.
Every single picture in the 2017 brochure is of the car in SRC with parchment interior. Not ONE single picture of the car in any other color. (the little rectangle color samples don't count)

I know Mazda is exciting about this stunning new color (and it really is just that) but it would have been nice to see a little variety in the brochure.

oh, and I vote for Machine Grey. :)

I have machine grey and black, and I seriously thought about SRC and black. But I decided I don't want to attract attention to myself that way; SRC is a brash color, even more so on a big car; I was looking for something timeless and rich. This whole forum needs more pics so here's mine. BTW, after a week with a lot of pollen and several rains, at a distance of 20 or 30 feet it looks shiny and shimmering and hard to notice all the grime on the car.

Last edited:
Well, now I'm jealous! It'll be interesting to see what they have available in three years, when my lease is up.

That is odd. We have the ability to select either deep crystal mica blue or Eternal Blue mica and be able to select black or white leather.

Have a look in the 2017 pics thread. Both colours shown there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Don't bother with pictures. Unless they are touched up like on Mazda's site to represent the in person color the only way you get a real representation of soul red is in person on a sunny day. I've take a dozen pictures and it always looks more muted then in person. IMHO go to a dealer and see it in person. I went with Soul Red again because gray is a dime a dozen in a parking lot. This thing stands out when you are trying to find your car. And the color IS a head turner. On a sunny day the red on this thing is borderline magma like in how it glows. At night the subtle color shifts as you are going through lights makes the colors shift. This being told to me by a friend that was tailing me to a bar. Soul Red Crystal may be half a grand more, worth every penny IMHO.

That is odod. We have the ability to select either deep crystal mica blue or Eternal Blue mica and be able to select black or white leather.

Yeah, another NA difference. Can't get the eternal blue with the lighter interior :/

Hoping they introduce a sand/tan interior on the 2018's. I want machine grey with tan interior damn it.

Don't bother with pictures. Unless they are touched up like on Mazda's site to represent the in person color the only way you get a real representation of soul red is in person on a sunny day. I've take a dozen pictures and it always looks more muted then in person. IMHO go to a dealer and see it in person. I went with Soul Red again because gray is a dime a dozen in a parking lot. This thing stands out when you are trying to find your car. And the color IS a head turner. On a sunny day the red on this thing is borderline magma like in how it glows. At night the subtle color shifts as you are going through lights makes the colors shift. This being told to me by a friend that was tailing me to a bar. Soul Red Crystal may be half a grand more, worth every penny IMHO.

Umm.. these pictures are taken by actual owners of the cars.... Anyways you are correct, best to see them in person.

Yeah, another NA difference. Can't get the eternal blue with the lighter interior :/

(shrug)...marketing boffins/management decisions.

I might well have bought that combo had it been available. Had to "settle" for SRC with parchment....and very happy with the outcome!

Today I had another passerby complement me on the color of the car, even though it was festooned with pollen and bird favors.

I walked by a 2016.5 in silver today wearing polarized glasses. At one angle, the paint had a purple tint to it and my glasses have zero tint. I'm not seeing similar things from non-Mazdas.

It seems Mazda is doing some interesting things with paint that the rest of the industry isn't?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I walked by a 2016.5 in silver today wearing polarized glasses. At one angle, the paint had a purple tint to it and my glasses have zero tint. I'm not seeing similar things from non-Mazdas.

It seems Mazda is doing some interesting things with paint that the rest of the industry isn't?
We currently have three silver or silver-ish cars - a 2005-ish CRV, a 2000 Maxima, and now a 2016 CX-5 - and when parked together the colors are shockingly different. Especially in the sun, Mazda's Sonic Silver is almost light blue-ish in comparison and far more vibrant than the others.

Hoping they introduce a sand/tan interior on the 2018's. I want machine grey with tan interior damn it.

Beige leather (CX9):
2016_mazda_cx-9_gt_multi-segment_cuir-beige_tableau-de-bord_v2.jpg

or brown leather (CX9 Signature):
2016-mazda-cx-9-12.jpg

and machine grey exterior:
2017-cx5-tr-machinegray-frontangle-global.png

YES PLEASE!

Back