• 10%

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 0%

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
My experience with Mazda has been limited to the following vehicles in my past from childhood to adult.

'79 RX-7 - (dad's friend... first time at 90MPH)
'87 626 LX (parent's car)
'10 Mazda 3 [5-door hatchback (parent's car)]
'96 Protege (wife's first new car)

and now the '15 CX-5

So far... nothing that wouldn't make Mazda a strong contender for my next purchase. Somehow a MX-5 might be my mid-life crisis vehicle. :)

Last edited:
Hard for me to answer. I like my CX-5, but I primarily purchased it because it is the closest thing offered to being an SUV with a manual transmission. If Mazda continues to offer manual transmissions in vehicle types I'm shopping, then they will definitely get my vote.

My CX-5 is a wonderful car but with so many manufacturers out there and the fact that I only buy a new car every 7-8 years, I would have to say it's only about 30%.

But if I needed to replace the CX-5 tomorrow, it would definitely be another CX-5! And I would likely be shopping the used market for a 2.0L AWD. Because gas isn't going to be under $2/gal for more than a year or two.

Actually I like that concept. As long as it has a strong motor I'd be interested.

My next Mazda will most likely be a 3 wagon to replace my second car, a '13 Subie Impreza Wagon within the next two years. It's been difficult for me to switch from Subaru to Mazda, since I've owned five Subies in the past 15 years that were rock solid in the reliability dept, and only required scheduled PM and no unexpected extraneous repairs or down time. No oil burners, head gasket or wheel bearing issues which were common complaints in earlier Subie models. With their recent gains in market share, I have noticed a growing reluctance for them to negotiate price as they have in the past, at least in my area.

My '16 CX-5, which is my first experience with owning a Mazda, has thus far been a very pleasant surprise and has made me a believer in their Skyactiv technology. Perhaps this is a good opportunity for me to switch brand loyalty and the CX-5 seems to be doing a great job at transforming me into a Mazda convert.

2016 CX-5 GT AWD is our first Mazda and so far I have mixed feeling toward it. I'm really not in favor of turbo engine and CVT and Mazda's SkyActiv engine and auto transmission seem to have really good design. Our 2.5L does use some oil which disappointed me a bit. And I've found some inexcusable issues such as lack of tweeters on Bose system and loose rear view mirror. Now we're having random "Oil Change Due" message and has to be taken care of by the dealer.

The new CX-3 would be our choice for next Mazda although it's fairly small in the back seats and trunk area.

Last edited:
Very likely. I have been driving mazdas since 1985. I love a sporty driving car.
1985 Mazda GLC. Came with 5 year unlimited milage warrantee. Never had a chance to use it. All had manual transmissions and exceeded gas mileage estimate. With the exception of the rx7. which got average mpg for the car.
1985 GLC
1979 RX7
1988 626
1990 626
2013 CX-5

My ideal vehicle would be an AWD wagon. If Mazda was offering a 6 Wagon AWD, it would be an ideal vehicle.
Unfortunately, even Subaru only offers a single unraised wagon vehicle in the US: the Impreza. I was seriously considering that vehicle but it had few disadvantages: a tad small for our needs, CVT, slow and unappealing look. With its oil consumption issues, it was a no-brainer to avoid it. The Outback is raised and I did not like how it drove.
The CX-5 is a good vehicle - it offers great cargo capacity and drives almost like a car. It is a compromise for me, because of the added weight, reduced fuel efficiency, reduced road handling all coming from being a CUV.
However, I don't buy cars often and brand new vehicles are available all the time. A new Impreza for 2017, maybe a MazdaSpeed 3 with AWD, or maybe the compromise will be a sedan + AWD instead. In any case, it will be a brand that is expected to be reliable, is fuel efficient and hopefully is nice to drive on a curvy road.

Definitely. This is my first Mazda and I'm very impressed with the power and fuel mileage of the Skyactive series. Looking to get a newer CX5 in the near future. Also like the new CX3.

I'd have to say 100% for the wife, but it will be distant future, like 10 years (lol2). We love it, but I'm only replacing my Bimmer with another Bimmer when the time comes.

Last edited:
I feel the same way, but just wish Mazda would bring the wagon to the US--FWD is fine for me. This might be the answer though http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/09/mazda-koeru-subaru-outback-clone/#slide-3624660 A couple of inches longer than the CX5 but only a couple of inches higher than a sedan--like a Subaru Outback.

My ideal vehicle would be an AWD wagon. If Mazda was offering a 6 Wagon AWD, it would be an ideal vehicle.
Unfortunately, even Subaru only offers a single unraised wagon vehicle in the US: the Impreza. I was seriously considering that vehicle but it had few disadvantages: a tad small for our needs, CVT, slow and unappealing look. With its oil consumption issues, it was a no-brainer to avoid it. The Outback is raised and I did not like how it drove.
The CX-5 is a good vehicle - it offers great cargo capacity and drives almost like a car. It is a compromise for me, because of the added weight, reduced fuel efficiency, reduced road handling all coming from being a CUV.
However, I don't buy cars often and brand new vehicles are available all the time. A new Impreza for 2017, maybe a MazdaSpeed 3 with AWD, or maybe the compromise will be a sedan + AWD instead. In any case, it will be a brand that is expected to be reliable, is fuel efficient and hopefully is nice to drive on a curvy road.

Last edited:
I have no brand preference and the CX-5 is my first mazda. At the time, the CX-5 offered the best value, high reliability, and most advanced drive train technology. Right now, the CX-5 is several years ahead of everyone else. That could change in five years when I buy again.

i will most likely buy a 2016-17 CX-9 for my wife when it comes out Spring/Summer to replace her '09 CX-9. luv my '16 CX-5 GT AWD so far. probably will splurge and get the Signature trim for the new CX-9 unless the lack of hp is evident on test-drive (unlikely, but that is why you test drive).

I feel the same way, but just wish Mazda would bring the wagon to the US--FWD is fine for me. This might be the answer though http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/09/mazda-koeru-subaru-outback-clone/#slide-3624660 A couple of inches longer than the CX5 but only a couple of inches higher than a sedan--like a Subaru Outback.

The CX-5 is in-fact a tad lower than an Outback 65.7" vs 66.1". A Mazda 6 is 57.1".
If the Koeru will be available, I might consider it based on actual properties. However, the CX-5 is plenty big for us currently, so being slightly larger (but lower!) would not add to its a appeal for us.

While I do like my CX-5, unless Mazda kicks their partners in the A$$, I doubt I'll be purchasing one again...

Here's my experience so far (after 7 months of ownership).

Dealer: Service Center and manager is a big joke. I took my CX-5 to the dealer at 4500 miles due to a warning light... Was told it was a "hard" error indicating transmission issue, got dealer rental. Later that night was updated that it was an oil change indicator (dealer set the warning mileage at time of purchase). When I picked up the car, was informed they did the oil change, and updated my radio software. I immediately noticed the gas level was completely empty. Since I had happened to top off just prior to dropping the car off at the dealer, I went back in to inquire why the guage was showing empty. Service manager really was rather jerky about the whole matter saying it was impossible for the car to have had a full tank... But, when I told him I had a picture of the dash, which I took when I dropped off the car (to document the warning light) his only response was, "Why would you do that?", was sent on my way... I tried to fill again, but could only add 1/4 gallon. Fortunately, the gas guage slowly increased over the next 20 miles of driving, so the software must have reset the guage... Service manager should have known better...

Next association of idiots Mazda has decided to get into bed with:
Chase Auto...
At time of purchase I decided to use Chase Auto to secure my car loan... First month, my payment was late due to some processing error between Chase and my Credit Union...my credit union was the one who alerted me of the issue, no big deal, resolved it and thought I was good to go...But hold on...

At some point, the wonderful people at Chase decided to open me two separate accounts for my one loan. Effectively billing me twice for the one loan. Since I had already set up my payments, and was checking both my Chase account, and my Credit Union account to verify the payments were being processed, I was surprised to receive a letter from Chases collections department informing me my account was 5 months in arrears... I called them up, finally got the situation resolved 2 weeks ago just in time to flip the loan to my Credit Union before I would be stuck with them...

In the end,I lost a small amount of money, and was inconvenienced a lot, but managed to move on. Unfortunately for Mazda, this will most likely be my first and last purchase from them... Don't mean to knock the product, but in commerce, you really are only as good as the partners you associate with. After my 3-ring experience, I find I want to get off of the ride now. I'll be keeping this car for as long as it serves me well, but will not be using Mazda's partnered services again...don't know if this is common or not for Mazda, but not worth repeating.

Oh, here's another tidbit. Following my dealer service experience, I decided to actually respond to Mazda's service questionnaire, despite indicating the survey would be anonymous, I received at least 3 calls directly from the dealer starting the day after I filled it out-so I'm not sure how Mazda interprets anonymous... No big deal, I do have another dealer to use that's only 15 minutes away if I have any service needs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do like my CX-5, unless Mazda kicks their partners in the A$$, I doubt I'll be purchasing one again...

Here's my experience so far (after 7 months of ownership).

Dealer: Service Center and manager is a big joke. I took my CX-5 to the dealer at 4500 miles due to a warning light... Was told it was a "hard" error indicating transmission issue, got dealer rental. Later that night was updated that it was an oil change indicator (dealer set the warning mileage at time of purchase). When I picked up the car, was informed they did the oil change, and updated my radio software. I immediately noticed the gas level was completely empty. Since I had happened to top off just prior to dropping the car off at the dealer, I went back in to inquire why the guage was showing empty. Service manager really was rather jerky about the whole matter saying it was impossible for the car to have had a full tank... But, when I told him I had a picture of the dash, which I took when I dropped off the car (to document the warning light) his only response was, "Why would you do that?", was sent on my way... I tried to fill again, but could only add 1/4 gallon. Fortunately, the gas guage slowly increased over the next 20 miles of driving, so the software must have reset the guage... Service manager should have known better...

I don't blame the brand for that, its the franchises that muck it up in service department (this is separate from my buying experience which was exceptional). You think it's bad in the US? Try taking a 2016 to a German dealer....same cars on the lot, but they want to act like a NA one is totally foreign to them.

Next association of idiots Mazda has decided to get into bed with:
Chase Auto...

Say no more....they were a hassle when we bought out our lease after a year. I seriously doubt I'm the only one to do that it it was at if that was their first time. Getting the title was painful as well. All while I was in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Back