Hello from a new 2001 Mazda Protege Owner!

Maryjane

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
Hello everyone!

I just brought home my first Mazda vehicle tonight, I am the new owner of a 2001 Protege LX 2.0! I'd like to introduce myself, and I'd like to ask if this is an appropriate place to discuss all things related to my 2001 Protege, or if I'm in the wrong subforum? I already know I need to replace my driver's side power window regulator; seems like a common issue, not too hard, but I thought I could use the help of those that have done it before me. And in general, I'm sure I'll have some other questions and concerns that I'm hoping to get help with, since this is my first Mazda product. Additionally, I am an adult student, with about a 70 mile daily commute, and my beloved, but aging, Ford Ranger was kiling me in fuel costs. I am hoping the new Protege can do just a little better on gas ;-)

I'd welcome any thoughts or comments about my new purchase; pics to follow soon.

-Maryjane

Additional info about the new ride:
  • 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
  • 91,000 miles
  • 5-spd. manual transmission
  • Power moon roof
  • interior very good condition; body good condition, with two rusty spots (not uncommon of Upstate New York area)
  • The engine starts, runs, and drives very smooth. I brought the car to a Monroe Muffler for a free, visual only, inspection prior to purchase, and their conclusion was that it was a decet, sound used car. Obviously not perfect, but in good used shape. Unfortunately, I did not have anyone perform any kind of compression test, but there is not obvious signs of major engine concerns that I, or the Monroe Muffler mechanics, could detect just by looking at and listening to the motor.
  • Paid $2500 cash.

Welcome aboard, I am sure you will get all of the help you need. We have a well educated group when it comes to our cars.

Start saving for a timing belt, you should average above 30 mpg. If not simple cheap bolt ons will

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry I didn't get back to some of you sooner, but in fact, the unthinkable actually occurred...

I picked up my new-to-me 2001 Mazda Protege from a small time dealer last Thursday afternoon, and on Friday, just about 24 hours later, with no warning, the front driver's side wheel came flying off the car at about 50 mph! Yep! The wheel came right off the car while I was driving it home from a local pizza shop. I've never seen anything like it, really. Fortunately, I was able to avoid coliding with anyone else, and was able to skid to a stop on the shoulder of the road. The car suffered significant body damage, and untold damage to the underneath. Most disturbingly, my underwear did not make it through the incident unscathed either......

When the wheel came off, the car came crashing down on its brakes and suspension components, and so of course I was concerned for the condition of the brakes and suspension components. The car was towed immediately after the incident to a local Monroe Muffler and Brake, where they replaced the lug studs and got the wheel back on the car ($86). They looked over most everything else, and aside from the vehicle being slightly out of alignment (about 0.26 degrees), they seemed to think it was basically mechanically fine, despite the jarring hit the car took. Just to be safe, I subsequently had the vehicle looked over at my local Ford dealer's repair shop because I trust the staff there implicitly. Unbelievably to me, they too concluded that the car was basically just fine. They also found it to be just a little out of alignment, and they fixed that for me for about $30 in addition to the $85 I already agreed to pay them just to give everything a complete and thorough look-over. They went through all the brakes and wheels on all four wheels, not just the damaged one, they did the alignment, and looked over the suspension and their professional opinion is that the vehicle is fine.

What caused the wheel to come flying off, you might be asking?? Well, no one can know for sure, but the most likely scenario is that the seller had the car state inspected only days before. It's at least possible that the wheel was removed to inspect the brakes, and then the tech didn't quite fit the wheel or torque the lug nuts on just right. I was also told that some lugs and wheels can be subject to expansion and contraction with temperature, which could also be the culprit.

So the other half of this story is that this car did come from a small-time dealer, and I'm definitely holding the dealer responsible for what occurred. Although I had trouble reaching the 'guy-in-charge' for the last several days, I have spoken to him today, and at least for now he has agreed to reimburse me for the mechanical repairs I've already been forced to make, and he has agreed to fix the body damage as well. At the beginning, a big part of me wanted to say, "Forget that, I want a different car or a refund", but crazy as this sounds my wife and I really like this car, lol! I am now hoping this guy makes good on his offer to take care of the repairs without any further complications or delays, and if so I think I'll be happy with the car in the end.

I guess my questions is, does anyone here think I'm nuts to want to keep this car after what happened?

Thanks very much for your input!

-Maryjane

Start saving for a timing belt, you should average above 30 mpg. If not simple cheap bolt ons will

tweety2300, thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure I understand you. Are you suggesting that the timing belts on these vehicles are prone to failure? Mine looks very new, just by looking at it, you can still see the white writing on it. And I'm hoping for 30+ mpg's if the car is working as it should be. Exactly what 'simple bolt ons' are you refering to and how will they help me?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

-MJ

The only way the wheel could have come off is because someone removed it for whatever reason, even though you don't know who did it don't believe anyone if they tell you a tight wheel will come off due to temperature change. Simple bolt ons for your car would be a cold air intake, header to delete the primary cat, VTCS delete and since you have a manual you can reflash the computer to MP3 Protege specs.

The only way the wheel could have come off is because someone removed it for whatever reason, even though you don't know who did it don't believe anyone if they tell you a tight wheel will come off due to temperature change.

Thank you for the reply. I agree with you, and the most logical solution to explain ALL FOUR lug nuts failing at once is that the wheel was removed during the state safety inspection, but was not replaced correctly. Either way, my state law says the dealer is responsible to provide a vehicle that is safe for use on the public roads, and I dare say this one was not, lol! Fortunately, no one was hurt, and nothing but my car was damaged.

Simple bolt ons for your car would be a cold air intake, header to delete the primary cat, VTCS delete and since you have a manual you can reflash the computer to MP3 Protege specs.

Thank you again for your input. Although much of this is Greek to me at this point, I'm sure if I search around these forums for some of these add ons you've mentioned, I'm sure I'll find lots of info about them.

Thanks again for the help!

-Maryjane

Actually all 4 of them probly didn't fail more than likely one wasn't tightened and it let the wheel wobble the rest of the loose. Honestly though it should have been shaking like a mofo before it fell off. I know this because I just went through this with my Honda I forgot to tighten one but when it started shaking like it did I pulled over immediately.

If it wasn't shaking or anything before it fell off then all 4 studs would have broken off simultaneously which unless you hit a huge pot hole I doubt

Actually all 4 of them probly didn't fail more than likely one wasn't tightened and it let the wheel wobble the rest of the loose. Honestly though it should have been shaking like a mofo before it fell off. I know this because I just went through this with my Honda I forgot to tighten one but when it started shaking like it did I pulled over immediately.

If it wasn't shaking or anything before it fell off then all 4 studs would have broken off simultaneously which unless you hit a huge pot hole I doubt

There was honestly no warning at all, it took me totally by surprise. At first I thought I hit something invisible in the road, but there was nothing at all. And actually two lug studs were found to be missing, and I believe the other two were stripped, so all four lug studs had to be replaced. I've honestly never experienced anything like it, but I've talked to two garages who both said "it happens".

Thanks for the input!

-Maryjane

Last edited:
kind of late but welcome and sorry to hear about the wheel. The forum members here will definitely steer you in the right direction

Well, it happened to me, I promise you that.

Thanks, though, I do appreciate your point of view!

-MJ

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying it's not normal for studs to just break out of no where unless extreme amounts of toque was used when tightening the breaking the 2 missing studs and striping the other 2. Just make sure that dealer doesn't fix it lol

Its good that the dealer is paying for the repairs though. Did you take any pics?

Hi! Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have pics both before and after. I'm not sure what I need to do to post them here, looks like I'll need some sort of hosting service.

-MJ

kind of late but welcome and sorry to hear about the wheel. The forum members here will definitely steer you in the right direction

Hello! It's never too late! Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm sure there's a wealth of info to be found here. Glad to be aboard!

-MJ

Back