TIRE HELP from someone smarter than me!

lestat13

Alright, so my issue is after driving in the rain the other day, I know I can't go snow on these tires. While looking for a set of used wheels with winter tires I came across some bronze tenzo r type m wheels.... and they are pretty cheap cause 2 are stripped to be repainted, which I can finish or go pc....

anyway, back on topic. If I buy a set of winter tires for my stock wheels, can my factory tires fit on a 18x8 tenzo r wheel? and for cheaper tires on the 18x7.5, drop the sizewall one size and bump it one size wider?

thanks guys, need this help quick so I can decide and snatch these up!

the factory tires can fit on the 18x8 but it will stretch it a bit. as far as wanting to go wider but shorter on the winter i would advise against that. you actually want narrower in the winter. it allows the tires to cut through the snow/rain instead of floating on top of it.

I'm going to need to do something for the upcoming winter as well. I'm considering get a set of 4 wheels with all seasons...

I was planning on grabbing a set of winter tires in about three weeks when I get my bonus. I'm a little torn between the Bridgestone Blizzak's, and the Michelin X-Ice's. Anyone have any experience with either?

Blizzaks are very nice for snowy conditions. A lot of miata guys use them. Best if paired up with some steelies.

A performance winter tire is a must if it snows alot where you live. Something like Blizzak LM-22's or Pirreli Sottozero's. Unfortunately, 18" snows are damn expensive. They're twice as expensive as 16" snows. I bought a set of Blizzaks mounted on some cheap "Fox 5" alloys from Tirerack a few years ago for my S2000. I had my S2000 in Grand Forks, ND for a while. I saw snow in May there. (argh) Fortunately I kept them after I got rid of the S200 and what do ya know? They'll fit the MS3! They'll probably look stupid in 16", but I really don't care. The wheels were $99 each and I paid about a grand for the whole sha-bang shipped to my door. 18's on the other hand are going to be nearly a grand just for the tires.

Attachments

• DSC00353 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00353 (Medium).JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00352 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00352 (Medium).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 102
I put my stock 215/45s on an 8 inch wide wheel and they didn't really stretch that far. looked fine. rode fine.

Will all seasons be acceptable for long island winter weather?

All seasons aren't really worth it IMO. They're not great in the dry, not great in the rain and not great in the snow. They're kinda a Jack of all trades, master of none tire. If it gets cold, but doesn't snow a lot where you live, you could get by with them, but if you plan on doing any type of commuting in bad weather, you'd be better off with a performance snow tire like an Blizzak LM-22. As soon as it hits freezing temps, throw on the snows and don't even worry about a all season tire. Just remember when it starts getting cold, the summer tire performance is going to deteriorate.

Back