Importing a Speed6 US to Canada... opinions?

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and reading quite a lot, and I've come to love the Speed6. I have been waiting to hear about a new job, and things look like they're going well, and if I do get it I'll need a car, and I think I've settled on a Speed6.

Now my only problem is that I want either black or white standard transmission (I was originally looking at pre-06 models), and there really aren't many available in Ontario at a reasonable price. Through someone at work I have a connection to a guy who imports cars (2 others in the office have bought through him, both very happy), and I've noticed pricing on the '06 models is quite a bit lower on US models. My question is: is there any reason I should NOT do this? I've considered dealer/warrantee issues, and I think I could live with that. But are there specific differences between the US and Canadian models that would make a difference?

If it matters, within a year I would probably be putting on an intake and replacing the stock TMIC which would likely void the warrantee anyway, and currently have a great mechanic who has taken care of all our other cars.

Thanks for any input.

Had I purchased outright and not leased (have to lease with my job), I would have imported. How can you afford not to? I will pay $40,300 for my car. You can get one in the states (Brand new)for roughly $25,000. You will need to pay GST when you cross over the border, you will need a safety inspection ($250ish at Canadian Tire) and depending on what province you live, possibly an out of province inspection (another$150.00). The only modification you will need to make to your car is daytime driving lights, and I believe a module can be purchased to accomplish this for very cheap.

Add in a possible flight to go pick up your car, a couple hundred for temporary insurance, the gas to get it back, and you're looking at getting the car into Canada for under 30k easy. Saving you over 10 large. Only negatives being, your time to do the appropriate research to make sure the car is permissable to Canada and your time to go grab it.

Just had a buddy do the same with an 07 Nissan Altima 2 months ago. Fully loaded (and I mean fully) his final total was under 29k. To buy the exact same car here in Canada would have cost him $42k.

It's robbery. If you can, bring it in from the States.

my two cents...

Back