Shift delay going from P to D on a 2016 GT

The dealer left me a voice message saying that I need a new transmission, and that one is already on order. But because of the holidays this week they don't think my car will be done until next Wed. at best. They said it's a two-day job.

Very interesting, let us know if they have any details on the fault. It might be on the work order when you get the vehicle back. This is the first report of this that has made it here, so any info is good for future reference.

Very interesting, let us know if they have any details on the fault. It might be on the work order when you get the vehicle back. This is the first report of this that has made it here, so any info is good for future reference.

I just spoke to the service adviser. The technician spent this morning with Mazda corporate on the phone. A big ticket item under warranty requires approval from Mazda corporate. He said they followed specific instructions from Mazda corporate, carefully checking hydraulic pressure and various solenoids before coming to the conclusion that the tranny is faulty. I think the fault is inside the tranny itself, not something in the electronics or smaller mechanical devices such as valves or solenoids. If I get more info. from the dealer I will post it here. I don't think you guys have anything to worry about.

The dealer left me a voice message saying that I need a new transmission, and that one is already on order. But because of the holidays this week they don't think my car will be done until next Wed. at best. They said it's a two-day job.

Excellent! I'm really impressed with Mazda's seemingly standard practice of replacing the entire transmission instead of having the service tech dive in and attempt repair. I believe the complete transmission has a higher MSRP than the engine! And I would not have a good feeling in the pit of my stomach if they were doing surgery on the transmission internals!

Too bad your dealership doesn't supply a loaner that is at least as good as a CX-5. A Ford Escape? Hmmm... It'll work...

My only worry now is that Mazda is using a 'rebuilt' tranny and not a brand new unit. I asked the dealer about this and they said no, it'll be a new unit. But how do you be sure unless there's some type of identifier that indicates whether it's new or rebuilt.

Rebuilt tranny...

My only worry now is that Mazda is using a 'rebuilt' tranny and not a brand new unit. I asked the dealer about this and they said no, it'll be a new unit. But how do you be sure unless there's some type of identifier that indicates whether it's new or rebuilt.

Not sure how you can tell (sometimes a part number?) but depending on QC, rebulids can be as good as or BETTER than mass produced new! In many instances, a rebuild must go thru additional manual QC checks, with new parts. Again, not familiar with Mazda, but if concerned, you may wish to stipulate how the repair invoice reads (if you can). ie: NEW Transmission in the descriptor, as well as WARRANTY!
Good Luck with it.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can tell (sometimes a part number?) but depending on QC, rebulids can be as good as or BETTER than mass produced new! In many instances, a rebuild must go thru additional manual QC checks, with new parts. Again, not familiar with Mazda, but if concerned, you may wish to stipulate how the repair invoice reads (if you can). ie: NEW Transmission in the descriptor, as well as WARRANTY!
Good Luck with it.
You can try to take a picture of the information tag on the replacement transmission which has serial number and may be the manufacture date. Sometimes serial number has encrypted manufacture date in there. But I'd think if the dealer said it's new, it should be new. I had a steering rack replaced on our BMW 528i when it was still under warranty. The dealer told me it would be a re-manufactured rack, and there is no brand new rack available from BMW! A friend's son has a 2013 Audi A6 2.0T with one cylinder lost the compression at 28K miles recently. The dealer told him Audi of America authorized a brand new engine instead of attempting to repair the faulty cylinder. The engine had to be shipped from Germany and it took two weeks to get it. Replacing a whole transmission is a common practice to resolve the internal problem of a modern transmission nowadays.

If I were you, I wouldn't be happy about a major transmission problem on a brand new car. But things happen and at least it took only two trips to your dealer and didn't get rejected the transmission repair by Mazda North American Operations like the guy from Mazda3Revolution forum.

I think dealer techs are pretty limited on what they can do with transmissions - check for faults on easily accessible parts, but that's about it. Internal problems likely need special tools and training, so they just replace.

I feel for you. It is a nightmare getting a brand new car and then having a major problem, I guess it could happen to any brand, even brands which have good track record. I did wonder why the factory QA and per-delivery inspection did not pick up the issue.

Hope the repair will goes well for you

I got my car back today! The car drives great and the new tranny is seamless. Finally ditched the rental Ford Escape! Attached is the service ticket with the old and new tranny serial numbers. I'm a happy camper.
CX-5_zpsiupoc7cr.jpg~original

I got my car back today! The car drives great and the new tranny is seamless. Finally ditched the rental Ford Escape! Attached is the service ticket with the old and new tranny serial numbers. I'm a happy camper.
Glad you finally got a new transmission! S/N from 5TR0632553 to 5TR1109686, it at least means the replacement transmission is a lot newer than your original!

Excellent! Congrats on the brand new transmission!

So, can you compare the Escapes driving feel with the CX-5?

Ironic to come across this thread. My new 2016 CX-5 GT w/ Tech is also experecining this same issue. Yesterday I went from P to R then tried to go to D and it stalled for 5-8 seconds. I could not get it to shift and their was a car behind me waiting for me to move forward and I couldn't. Awkward...

Ironic to come across this thread. My new 2016 CX-5 GT w/ Tech is also experecining this same issue. Yesterday I went from P to R then tried to go to D and it stalled for 5-8 seconds. I could not get it to shift and their was a car behind me waiting for me to move forward and I couldn't. Awkward...

Did the engine rev and slam into gear?

I'd take the car to a parking lot and try to see if the problem can be duplicated. In my experience the delay is highly variable although I could always detect some delay. 5-8 seconds is a long delay. I only experienced this long of a delay when I took the car in the second time. By then I had experienced other shifting problems not just from P/R to D. Please keep us posted on your findings. If you take the car to the dealer they may not find any fault codes. Make sure you ride with a mechanic to demonstrate to him the problem. My car has zero shift delays now. Good luck.

From my experience only if I give it a lot of gas. If I just shift to D and then take my foot off of the brakes the gear will shift normally albeit with a delay.

Yeah it did once, but now I've been careful because of that. I think I'm able to reproduce the issue. When going from R > D I wait a bit now for it to shift.

I'd take the car to a parking lot and try to see if the problem can be duplicated. In my experience the delay is highly variable although I could always detect some delay. 5-8 seconds is a long delay. I only experienced this long of a delay when I took the car in the second time. By then I had experienced other shifting problems not just from P/R to D. Please keep us posted on your findings. If you take the car to the dealer they may not find any fault codes. Make sure you ride with a mechanic to demonstrate to him the problem. My car has zero shift delays now. Good luck.

Yeah 5-8 seconds may have been a bit high. It was likely around 4-5 seconds. I thinking about how long it took the first time it happened. I'm hoping to stop by the dealer tomorrow and see. Will post my findings.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to bring it to the dealership. Guy sat in it and change the gears a few times and decided to give me a rental car. Got a call a few hours later saying they will be replacing to transmission next week. Only had 2500 miles on it. (headshake

Finally got a chance to bring it to the dealership. Guy sat in it and change the gears a few times and decided to give me a rental car. Got a call a few hours later saying they will be replacing to transmission next week. Only had 2500 miles on it. (headshake

Oh My. It must be the same problem as mine. Mine gave out at around the 2,000 mile mark. The good news is that you will enjoy the new tranny. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back