Which Cell Phone Holder / Mount Are You Using?

9328ee6d4f5418ea7d05804a3bbd169d.jpg
Mine is a Skorpio Mount, aka my own homemade mount. Which is basically what you asked. I took an iPhone cable, made my own dock, sandwiched it between the seams of the dash ala Pro Clips. Only 4" of cable is visible, the rest is tucked away between the dash and lower panels. Charges and everything is within my fingertips and view such as Google Maps or the internet and my personal assistant, Siri, is at my beckon call.

Hey, would you be willing to snap a pic of the mount setup itself? So far your setup is the one I like the best. I just got a CX-5 yesterday and am looking at the mounting options. I had just put a proclip combined with the rokform mount in my Escape, and it was setup perfect. I'm a little less enthusiastic toward the pro-clip mount that covers the vent at this point.

Hey, would you be willing to snap a pic of the mount setup itself? So far your setup is the one I like the best. I just got a CX-5 yesterday and am looking at the mounting options. I had just put a proclip combined with the rokform mount in my Escape, and it was setup perfect. I'm a little less enthusiastic toward the pro-clip mount that covers the vent at this point.

I left the pic of it out because I have been thinking of doing something with it, such as a patent, perhaps. Also, it's a crude prototype and unfinished. I have been testing it with daily abuse to see how it holds up. I can say it's a very small unobtrusive dock, has a supporting back, doesn't block any vents or buttons, all while allowing the phone and usability to be 100% [emoji6] congrats on your CX-5, BTW

Last edited:
How do I attach a photo? Just a JPEG residing on my laptop. Not posted on an online service (e.g. no URL to link to).

Thanks

How do I attach a photo? Just a JPEG residing on my laptop. Not posted on an online service (e.g. no URL to link to).

Thanks

Oh I think you would have to upload it first or you could use Tapatalk to link directly I believe.

The louvers move easily, so you must place the holder on the bottom louver. That way the holder and phone are supported by the bottom of the vent opening rather than a floating louver(which does not work too well: things sag). I placed it in the bottom right corner so that you can still move the louvers that control the left/right movement of air. I found if you placed it in the center of the louvers it prevented the left/right movement. Of course, the up/down flow of air is fixed approximately horizontal. Occasionally I have to reposition the clip a little from placing and removing the phone.

That all being said, it works quite well. The ball pivot is stiff so the phone does not move once you set its position. The clip is strong too. It seems the best solution I've found. I don't want a suction cup. There is really no place to put it. I do not want it on my dash. The ons that fit into the CD slot block the info screen! Hope this helps.

Here's a backseat view of my homemade mount with my iPhone 6 mounted, without giving my project away [emoji14]
2dd93fd4cd66d89139963e447788ef97.jpg

Last edited:
The louvers move easily, so you must place the holder on the bottom louver. That way the holder and phone are supported by the bottom of the vent opening rather than a floating louver(which does not work too well: things sag). I placed it in the bottom right corner so that you can still move the louvers that control the left/right movement of air. I found if you placed it in the center of the louvers it prevented the left/right movement. Of course, the up/down flow of air is fixed approximately horizontal. Occasionally I have to reposition the clip a little from placing and removing the phone.

That all being said, it works quite well. The ball pivot is stiff so the phone does not move once you set its position. The clip is strong too. It seems the best solution I've found. I don't want a suction cup. There is really no place to put it. I do not want it on my dash. The ons that fit into the CD slot block the info screen! Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the review. If I get one, it will definitely be this one. However, I've discovered that this passive holder works surprisingly well. One problem is you've got to look down to see it BUT the price is right, it's easy to install and it disappears when not in use!!

IMG_0019.jpg

I thought the phone would go flying on tight turns but it doesn't move a bit. I've got a rubber bumper around the edge so the rubber against the plastic seems to supply a firm enough grip.

Our new CX-5 Touring came with hands free Bluetooth cell phone operation, so needing any type of "phone holder" wasn't necessary. Just touch a button on the steering wheel and calls can be received as well as sent.

CX5T Lover

Back