MZ6/626 Brake Upgrade - Rotors and Pads?

KrayzieFox

:
01 MP3 Turbo
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone on here had done the "OEM BBK" upgrade with MZ6 fronts and 626 rears, and if so, what rotors/pads did you go with and where did you buy them from?

I found a set of low mileage calipers with brackets at a local junk yard and would like to do the upgrade to fix my seized/leaking MP3 ones, so I figured I'd check with the community for recommended rotors and calipers to use with this setup.

JT is right. I did this exact setup.

I went to RockAuto and got the standard Centric pads/rotors for the years of calipers I got (07 MZ6 and 01 626).

Yeah I saw your post Circuit, good looking out on the 626 rears as opposed to the MZ6 ones.. the e-brake cable compatibility was great news.. that's what lead me to follow your setup.

I'll look into RockAuto, thanks a ton!

By the way, you ever end up upgrading the master cylinder to the 929 one? 92-95 with ABS is the one we want right?

Man, RockAuto is great.. I can't believe I've never used them before!

To anyone who stumbles upon this thread wanting to do the same upgrade, here are the parts I am going with:

1. 2007 Mazda 6 front calipers (junk yard 63K) - Both 4 cyl & V6 work
2. 2002 Mazda 626 rear calipers (junk yard 85K) - Both 4 cyl & V6 work
3. CENTRIC Part # 12161088 C-TEK Standard FRONT Disc (RockAuto)
4. CENTRIC Part # 10511640 Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and Hardware FRONT pads (RockAuto)
5. CENTRIC Part # 12145064 C-TEK Standard REAR Disc (RockAuto)
6. CENTRIC Part # 10505840 Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware REAR pads (RockAuto)
7. 1994 Mazda 929 w/ABS Master Cylinder (junk yard 75K)

Grand total of about $350 with shipping.

Circuit, feel free to chime in with any install tips from your experience. I've done brakes before but if there is anything in particular I should be aware of I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks again!

Yeah I saw your post Circuit, good looking out on the 626 rears as opposed to the MZ6 ones.. the e-brake cable compatibility was great news.. that's what lead me to follow your setup.

I'll look into RockAuto, thanks a ton!

By the way, you ever end up upgrading the master cylinder to the 929 one? 92-95 with ABS is the one we want right?

Nope stuck with the OEM MC without any issues.

what diameter are those 01 626 rear rotors?

They should be 280mm (11").

This. Same as MSP but WAY cheaper

Man, RockAuto is great.. I can't believe I've never used them before!

To anyone who stumbles upon this thread wanting to do the same upgrade, here are the parts I am going with:

1. 2007 Mazda 6 front calipers (junk yard 63K) - Both 4 cyl & V6 work
2. 2002 Mazda 626 rear calipers (junk yard 85K) - Both 4 cyl & V6 work
3. CENTRIC Part # 12161088 C-TEK Standard FRONT Disc (RockAuto)
4. CENTRIC Part # 10511640 Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and Hardware FRONT pads (RockAuto)
5. CENTRIC Part # 12145064 C-TEK Standard REAR Disc (RockAuto)
6. CENTRIC Part # 10505840 Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware REAR pads (RockAuto)
7. 1994 Mazda 929 w/ABS Master Cylinder (junk yard 75K)

Grand total of about $350 with shipping.

Circuit, feel free to chime in with any install tips from your experience. I've done brakes before but if there is anything in particular I should be aware of I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks again!

One thing you should definitely do are stainless steel brake lines. Since you have the calipers off anyways, doing the lines takes another 5 mins per wheel. Brake feel is amazing even without the 929 MC

Here's the size difference visually. Wheels are 16" SSR Type-V. Left is before, Right is after. Top is front, Bottom is rear

null_zps0a9fe375.jpg

Gonna have to do some junk yard digging. This is awesome. I have an msp so I'm assuming I would only benefit from upgrading the front brakes right?

Gonna have to do some junk yard digging. This is awesome. I have an msp so I'm assuming I would only benefit from upgrading the front brakes right?
Regular 6 brakes aren't too much bigger than stock MSP, you should look into the Speed6 brakes.

By the way.. when ordering from RockAuto, the shipping is like $15 cheaper if you order the front rotors and pads separate from the rears. Not sure why, but it's how it works. I guess the extra weight from shipping two sets of rotors makes the shipping crazy expensive.

You can also find a 5% off code at almost any time by simply Googling RockAuto discount. Just passing along the savings tips to the rest of the people who may be interested in doing this upgrade.

EDIT: So another note about shipping rotors and pads from RockAuto, it's apparently even cheaper if you ship both sets of pads with the MZ6 rotors, and then ship the 626 rotors by themselves. Comes out about $25 less in shipping if you do it that way...

Last edited:
One thing you should definitely do are stainless steel brake lines. Since you have the calipers off anyways, doing the lines takes another 5 mins per wheel. Brake feel is amazing even without the 929 MC

Yeah, I definitely plan on doing the lines as well.. just can't really justify spending $100 for 4 short pieces of braided line. I'm a big supporter of doing things right the first time, but I'm also not really able to afford a whole lot at this point so I might have to wait a bit longer to finish this upgrade. Thanks for the heads up tho, definitely appreciate it.

Regular 6 brakes aren't too much bigger than stock MSP, you should look into the Speed6 brakes.
Confirmed. I run the MS6 front rotors and calipers on my MSP. The diameter of the MS6 front rotor is approximately 12.6"--significantly bigger than the 626/MSP front.

EDIT: Please be aware that MS6 fronts will not fit under anything smaller than a 17" wheel. My current 17x7.5 +45mm wheels clear with no issues and look nice and full of rotor surface.

Last edited:
Would this setup work on a P5? I have been thinking about this upgrade but, I need my ebrake.

Yes, that's why we are using the 626 rear calipers. They're the same size as the MSP/Mazda6 rears but are much cheaper than the MSP brakes and the MZ6 calipers don't work with our ebrake cable.

Ok, I bit the bullet and got a set of Techna-Fit SS brake lines from Jeff@ProParts. They were only $80 shipped, can't really beat that unless you get some eBay garbage that is likely to cost you your life.

Latest posts

Back