F150 Backed into my car......or the case for a less wimpy horn

Donas64

:
2002 MP5
So I'm waiting to back into a spot at a local mexican restaurant while some teenager yapping on her cell one is taking foever and a day to vacate said spot. I'm behind an F150 truck and I see his reverse lights come on. Surely he sees me right? So he starts to back out. I give a courtest honk. He stops......then proceeds to back out right into my car. The whole time I've got the (weak pathetic) P5 horn nailed. A sickening crunch ensues and I imagine the worst.

I pull into the now vacated spot and the truck continues to back out as if he's just going to pull away. I take note of his plates in case he tries anything funny (keep in mind I have not seen if there was any damage to my car yet.

I get out of my car to assess the damage which (thankfully) is slim to none. A slight almost unnoticable dent in my door and this jerk has still not gotten out of his truck to ask if we ( my wife, mother and sister in law in the car) are okay. I motion over to him to stay put and I walk over and say

"Sir, did you not hear me honking? Anyways there seems to be slim to no damage but I'd like to swap info just in case". At this point he finally gets his behind out to the truck to take a look at my car and sees that the damage is slim to none. He says in the really condescening tone something to the effect of "I don't see anything" not I'm sorry or are you all okay or sorry I backed my big freakin truck into your car. He just shrugs everything off and gets back into his truck

Now he has a huge car with massive blind spots (even with those gigantic mirrors) and accidents do happen so if he had come out and said. Man I never even saw you I'm sorry. I would have been fine and just said don't worry about it.

But the guys attitude was so condescending and arrogant and he just really rubbed me the wrong way. I walk over to his car and say, sir we should switch info just in case.

He says that he would rather just pay out of pocket and he says that $40 should cover it. At this point his tone is really ticking me off and I feel as though he's treating my like a child and trying to placate me with money so I'll just go away.

I weigh my options in my mind either get into it with this jerk and tell hime to give me his dang info already, or take the cash (since the damage was quite minute really) and not waste any more breath on this guy. I usually am the type to say "don't worry about it" if I'm dealing with a decent human being but since this guy was a "scum of the earth type" I took the $40 bucks and told him to drive more carefully and be aware of his surroundings.

It's not so much about the money but the guys attitude. He was just wholly unpleasant.

Anyways I joined my family for a good dinner and put it out of my mind but just felt the need to vent.

The moral of this story: I need to invest in a freakin train horn!

Dude that sux....at least the damage was minimal and everyone is ok. If you still have his info, I'd report it anyway. You can tell the police that you tried being civil and wanted to swap info but the guy had none of it and left.

A train horn would be very effective but you could also go with a Nautilus horn (which I have) or Hella Supertones for cheaper. Hell the $40 he gave you will just about cover the cost of the Nautilus.

Man that sucks.. hopefully you can get it taken care of fairly cheap.. unless you can do it yourself most autobody shops start charges at 75.00 If your in cbus ohio I can take care of you but if not good luck :)

btw f-150s are the worst...
Atleast it didn't turn out like my encounter with one:
fjdkaslfjdsafe.jpg
[/IMG]

dude get train horns, ive got 6 mounted under the bed of my f250 super duty, enough to make the ground shake when they are blown.

Yup. I've been in the same situation. Was pulling into work one day, waiting for a space when some guy started backing out. So I honked once and he stopped. (mind you, he was too busy waving to his fat, ugly wife to look behind him as he backed out. And this was in Miami....) Then he immediatley continues. I honk again and I'm yelling Hey! STOP! Out my window. I tried to get out of the way, but crunchhhhh! He still got my rear bumper. It all happened in the span of a few seconds. I'm lucky he didn't tear my s*** off or crack my tail light from the angle and speed he was going. I got stuck with a slightly wrinkled left rear quarter and paint damage.

But, I made sure to call the police on his sorry ass. And for not paying attention and plowing into me he got...

-Hefty Ticket
-Traffic School
-And he had to pay for the damage.
-And I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the up and up with all of his paper work/license.

I don't know about you, but I'm a spiteful bastard when it comes down to stuff like that, specially when they have the "I no see nothing, mang." attitiude.

You should have called the cops. He surely wasn't insured, and he deserves to pay for that at the very least!

Too late. You took the $40. You had to refuse it and call the cops then.

At least you got $40 to pay for dinner. Calling the cops, etc may still have never gotten you anything... And if the damage really was that minor YOU would look like the jerk.

(He does sound like a jerk, though!)

I've been in this situation before but worse. One night after coming out from work at Best Buy, the whole drivers side of my Supra was damaged. The fender was caved in and pushing on the front tire, and the door had huge scratch down the side.

Hit and run FTL!

yea i def would not have taken the 40 dollars if that were me,
"i dont see anything" well you didnt see my car either you jackass so give me your ****** information

dam, i hate people like that

Yeah I guess in the end I just wanted to be done with the jerk. The encounter put me in such a bad headspace with the guys attitude and I just wanted to go in and spend time with the family. Like I said the damage is of no consequence to me, it was his attitude that got me worked up the most.

Thanks for the advice on horns. I'm going to look into the nautilus.

Damn that sucks dude :/ I feel your pain, it's just a stressful situation, I've been there plenty of times. Try not to dwell on the past. Hearing this really makes me want to invest in a horn though.

some women on her cellphone put a scratch on my rear pumper and i made her pay 800 cash :) then i payed off my credit card...so 40 dollars for that is wayyy to little, i mean if you called insurance his premium would go up 50-100 a month right?

Accidents are going to happen. Trying to avoid them if at all possible can be a challenge. Was there time to back up quickly as you saw his backup lights and bumper coming at you? Even a set of CSX horns is not going to stop someone who is not paying attention from doing something more stupid and wreckless.

Best thing is there is no damage and you did at least get his license and have a car full of witnesses if needed.

Accidents are going to happen. Trying to avoid them if at all possible can be a challenge. Was there time to back up quickly as you saw his backup lights and bumper coming at you? Even a set of CSX horns is not going to stop someone who is not paying attention from doing something more stupid and wreckless.

Best thing is there is no damage and you did at least get his license and have a car full of witnesses if needed.

couldn't really back up because the car pulling out behind me was not really paying attention either. Didn't want to run into them.

Have you seen the crash test results for our cars on MSN Autos? They backed a Protege sedan into an obstacle at 5mph and it did like $2,800 worth of damage to the bumper area! When I had my old S-10 pickup, I "bumped" my front bumper on a comcrete light pedestal in a mall parking lot (I was only creeping forward, less than 2 mph). The bumper itself looked find, but I ended up cracking clear through the reinforcement underneath, and it cost me $1500 to fix.

If it were me, I'd still take it to a body shop to get an estimate. They're usually free.

Here's the link I was talking about. I can only imagine that the damage would be comparable to a P5 bumper.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2003&make=Mazda&model=Protege&trimid=-1

Last edited:
Back