So listen to THIS!!!!!!

oh crap, i wish i'd seen this thread before i bought the nextmod grill. i sent him a message telling him of all the problem people have been having and he said that no one used the double sided tape which is why they fly off. i lol'ed to that one. he said if i had problem's i only had to pay for shipping i guess to send it back....unless it flies off then i'm SOL. i have lots of spare fiberglass and bondo though so maybe add a little extra weight to it and it might solve the problem? or maybe try out laying some CF on it...

oh crap, i wish i'd seen this thread before i bought the nextmod grill. i sent him a message telling him of all the problem people have been having and he said that no one used the double sided tape which is why they fly off. i lol'ed to that one. he said if i had problem's i only had to pay for shipping i guess to send it back....unless it flies off then i'm SOL. i have lots of spare fiberglass and bondo though so maybe add a little extra weight to it and it might solve the problem? or maybe try out laying some CF on it...

Best best is to probably do the CF wrap if you access to the tools for that... I really really don't like fiberglass, and that's disappointing, that's why CF is so wonderful, it's lightweight and very durable, but can get expensive to play with (which is why places charge more for CF items).

yeah hopefully now that i know of the problem, i can somehow modify it so it doesn't f- up like it has to others. i'd be realllllll pissed if it happened.

It looks just like the stocker but its partialy painted..

Oh I know which one you're talking about, the one with the CF up the middle and the color matched factory paint on the side, right?

I've seen a couple of those on here.

how about usin clear silicone around the offending areas for those who have already have these grilles...

id use some high quality 3m double sided tape before i'd goop it up with silicone. The 3m will come off with a lil goo gone while the slicone might adhear to the clear coat and stain it.

If you notice when u put the grill on that it locks into the grooves on the side of the bumper. But it doesnt take much force to pull it out of position so using 3m double sided tape along the bottom is a must.

Also did anyone have a problem with the air diverter pushing up on the grill? I know on mine i had to use a wire tie to keep it from rubbing.

If you notice when u put the grill on that it locks into the grooves on the side of the bumper. But it doesnt take much force to pull it out of position so using 3m double sided tape along the bottom is a must.

Also did anyone have a problem with the air diverter pushing up on the grill? I know on mine i had to use a wire tie to keep it from rubbing.

my grill kept poping out of those grooves. i used double sided tape and it still flew off. and yes i also had some rubbing issues

I did that already, i guess it didnt really faze him, cus he still wouldnt budge. I told him that i try to use my moderator powers to worn the public about him crap product... lets see what he sais next.

wonder twins powers activate!

lol. but seriously, i'll back you on this if it truly is a consistent crap product.

wonder twins powers activate!

lol. but seriously, i'll back you on this if it truly is a consistent crap product.

From the sounds of a few forum members (I think I counted 4?) it does sound like crap, I wonder how many over on the other uh, mazda forum, have been having the same issue? (uhm)

Guys..WHy not use a pop Rivet on the lower inside area of it...It will never come off that way...EVER...Unless you want it to.
Is there access to the are behind the grill to do this?

And FG is really strong if its made right.
I do a lot of FG work and I have had plenty of FG body kits in the past that hold up plenty fine to 100+MPH speeds.

And the guy about the Sub box's...Right..you must be getting some bad work done....A well made FG box that is the right Thickness will take a beating with no problem.
The problem when buiolding box's is that no one wants to build the FG to the 1/2'' thickness that a heavy hitting sub needs.....If you only use four layers of glass....Hell yeah it'll crack.

Just my .02 cents here guys...But I would look at a some type of mechancal fastening for this item Vs. duble sided tape.

Guys..WHy not use a pop Rivet on the lower inside area of it...It will never come off that way...EVER...Unless you want it to.
Is there access to the are behind the grill to do this?

And FG is really strong if its made right.
I do a lot of FG work and I have had plenty of FG body kits in the past that hold up plenty fine to 100+MPH speeds.

And the guy about the Sub box's...Right..you must be getting some bad work done....A well made FG box that is the right Thickness will take a beating with no problem.
The problem when buiolding box's is that no one wants to build the FG to the 1/2'' thickness that a heavy hitting sub needs.....If you only use four layers of glass....Hell yeah it'll crack.

Just my .02 cents here guys...But I would look at a some type of mechancal fastening for this item Vs. duble sided tape.
[edit]
I forgot to say I like that pop rivet idea.... maybe tomorrow I'll get to looking at my car and seeing if that can be done.... thanks (thumb)[/edit]

Question....... How long have you been in the car audio field? Building fiberglass boxes for subwoofers?....1/2" thickness wouldn't cut it either, no one wants to build heavy fiberglass boxes because of cost and weight. your car isn't gonna look too cool barely riding on it's springs/shocks, it's cheaper and less weight to build the box with balsa wood, and it'll stand up to the beating for a long long time..... Just ask some professional builders, and professional sound competitors for their opinions and experience? I wouldn't think they use only 4 layers of FG on their setups involving 5 or more woofers.

Just like a car with chassis flex, it doesn't hold up to that, even though it's made of steel, over time the body of the car gets warped going through the hard corners. (a good example would be an auto-x car)

I mean, no one really wants to put crappy (flea market?) subwoofers into their car, right? Everyone wants quality. Two 12" subwoofers that handle a peak of 1300 watts, and you have 2 1000 watt amps, and your setup has your subs are basically getting juiced to 1000 watts each and pumping that bass out.... you're saying the FG is gonna last for as long as you have the system? Ok................. maybe if you made it an inch or 2 thick (minimum) and dealt with the weight. Yeah it would hold up. I'll just built it with the would for only 1/4" to 1/2" thick and have it hold up just fine.

As you said fiberglass "done right".... like the fiberglass body kits, Buy a crappy one and tell me if you think it's good quality. This guy is obviously half assing s*** and charging $150 for it.... I think it's because he knows many people don't want to pay, or can't justify paying, or can't afford $400 for the autoexe, and he's pretty much the only other option, isn't he? And he's saying people aren't doing so and so for his piece and that's why it's breaking.... even though they ARE following the instructions. It's cause he's making them bad. :(

Since you work with fiberglass, help us out, take one for the team ;)..... make a grill, make it right, the right thickness, whatever you think needs to be done. Then check it out and let us know if it holds up (compared to this guy's work) ya know drive 130 mph or whatever.... if it does hold up, please tell us how much you think it would cost (while making a profit for yourself or whatever builder) to build (cost of supply and demand) and sell the grill of YOUR design...... if you can make them and they're sturdy, and worth it, I would buy one from you. Good luck (thumb) just remember the thicker you get, the bigger the piece is gonna look, you might get it to the point where it doesn't look right

i spoke to the maker, and he agreed to send me a replacement grill free of charge. i got it today, and it actually seems thicker and more sturdy.i guess we'll have to see...

i spoke to the maker, and he agreed to send me a replacement grill free of charge. i got it today, and it actually seems thicker and more sturdy.i guess we'll have to see...

No s***, you managed to get him to send you a new one?

congrats let me know if it flies off... or not.

go get on the expressway and do 130... do it in daylight though so no cops are around, heh. or at least so you can see better and see there are no cops around.

Remember about a month or soo ago I posted a thread showing off my brand new auto exe replica grill I just installed???? Well tonight on my way to my buddys super bowl party I was flying down the high way when something flew past my car. I remember thinking: that would totally suck if that was a piece of my car that just flew by me.

Got to the party forgot all about, after watching the Giants win, I decided to call it a night and get home, ( gotta wake up at 6:00am for work) as I approached my car I noticed my grill was gone, I automatically assumed someone stole it, then I saw that the pieces you screw in the bumper were still attached. I AM SOOOOO PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got that freaking thing and already gone 

Well back to stock I guess

Haha.. if you installed it yourself it's probably because you forgot to think about how much wind is up there.. You Tee shirt selling guys are all the same...

P.S. Pray that the piece didn't hit someone else...you could be liable.

Back