Breaking in the MSP!! (if mine ever gets here)

arkitek

Using this torturous waiting time as an opportunity to do all my research for when the damn thing cometh.

Since I've never owned a brand new car before, anyone here is an expert in how one should break in a new car?

Would winter be a bad season for it and is there anything you would do differently for cold conditions?

Should turbo engines be treated differently during the break-in period?

Should one do more oil changes at the start?

Would synthetic oil be good for this period also?

...so many questions.

THanks.

Last edited:
Don't rev over like 4,000 rpm for the first 600 mi or so.(it takes alot of self control!) some ppl say that that this isnt true but I would if I were you, I did it with my car... and it is also recomended in the manual.

I switched to full synthetic after about a week, your car will probably come with organic motor oil but it may also come with an additive that needs to "bond with the metal" (I'm not sure if mazda is going to be doing that but I know honda does) and they say your not supposed to change that oil for a certan peroid of time, but I doubt that mazda will use this specal additive.

Because your car will be turbo charged it will probably be good idea to change the oil more often then with a n/a car, like at least every 2,500 miles just to be safe and anal you know.

I wouldnt think that the cold climat would have any adverce affect on the break-in peroid.

Also if you let your car idle for a couple minuts after driving it will not alow hot oil to sit in the turbo and will increas the life span of your turbo charger, or you can get whats called a turbo timer that will shut your engine off for you after letting it idle.

Also, the turbo itself runs better after so many miles, right? I think that's how it was with my mom's WRX.

Anybody have any more info on turbo timers? Never had a turboed car before, and I want to do this one right.

A turbo timer basically keeps the car running for X number of minuets to let the oil cool properly. You can buy aftermarket ones from HKS etc...my alarm system that I am putting (2-way LCD type with paging functions) actually has a built in turbo timer.

one positive side to turbo'd cars is that with the colder weather the car will run stronger. i have deffinetly noticed this with my RX-7

Synthetic Oil Caution

While I have been running Mobil 1 in all of my 4 stroke engines since 1979 and have never had a problem with any of them, I have never switched any of these motors over to full synthetic until after breakin. I have been told by several very knowledgeable mechanics and a few racers that this is necessary to let the rings and valve guides seat themselves properly. The theory is that synthetic oil is too slippery and won't let these parts polish themselves to the mating surfaces. It also seems to apply to seals too. This allows the engine to properly seal and not leak oil. Since I keep cars for 10 years, a few months of shortened oil change periods is a small price to pay. In addition, several manufacturers won't cover synthetic as they supposedly haven't tested their engines with it. This seems to be the norm with mowers and marine engines. When my '03 P5 ever shows up, I will take a walk out to the service guys and ask what Mazda's policy is for synthetics. I converted our '97 Civic over early to Mobil 1 by substituting a quart of Mobil 1 at the 9,000 mile oil change and then increasing the number of quarts of Mobil 1 at each susequent oil change until the engine had full synthetic. After 6 years, the engine uses no oil between changes. I have a '92 Saturn SC2 with 131,000 miles on it and that motor uses a quart of oil in 5,000 miles. It's had Mobil 1 since the 15,000 mile mark. Jim

Last edited:
dont most turbo timers have some sort of unit that goes on the dash or wherever that shows the status of the turbo, like spooled or not or something? or am i making things up?

if im not making this up, then does your alarm also have something like this? and how much is your alarm?

slug420 said:
dont most turbo timers have some sort of unit that goes on the dash or wherever that shows the status of the turbo, like spooled or not or something? or am i making things up?

You're making things up :). All the turbo timer does is keep the engine running after you turn off the ignition, remove the key, lock the door and walk away. They usually have some preset intervals (1min, 2min, 5min, etc.) plus you could program your own. The harder you were driving, the longer you set it for. Mazda actually only recommends a short cool-down period (30 or 60 seconds, I forget which.)

slug420 said:
if im not making this up, then does your alarm also have something like this? and how much is your alarm?
It's easy to build this sort of thing into an alarm or remote start system. It becomes more or less invisible, I think you just need to arm the alarm before turning off the iginition switch. I believe the King's Gun alarms are pretty expensive, but I could be wrong. Much cheaper alarms have turbo timer capability as well.

'Break in' is a loosely defined term. Some manufacturers tell you specifically how to treat your engine, some don't mention it. My dad's BMW 330 said to keep the RPM's below 4000 for the first 1200 miles. A general rule of thumb is to be nice to your engine for the first 1000 miles. Nice means no redline, you can drive fast, but don't stress the engine for the first 1000 miles. It's hard to do, especially with a brand new machine, but it's worth it. Keep in mind the engine is not the only thing that needs to break in, your brakes have a short wear in period of about 100-200 miles, and a lot of clutches also have a wear-in period, so you have to be careful for more reasons than you suspect.

It's best to follow the reccomended guidelines for oil changes. Unless you drive your car extremely hard (only use it for racing) or in horrible conditions (you live in the desert) the manufacturer's reccomended oil intervals are fine, if you're anal or have spare time, you can do it more often, it won't hurt anything. It is strongly reccomended that you leave the regular 'dino' oil in your car for the first oil change or two to let everything break in correctly. Once you hit 5000 miles or so all breaking in is done, and you can switch to a full synthetic. Mobil 1 is usually rated very well, is easy to find, and is not horribly expensive. Synthetic oils have fewer impurities in them than regular oils, resulting in a greater heat resistance, which makes them ideal for use in turbocharged engines which run hotter than NA engines. Do not mix oils. It's best to fill with an identical weight and brand for an oil change, every oil company uses different additives and competing additives can cause problems. NEVER mix dino oil and synthetic oil, or different weights of oil. Different weights and types of oil will separate inside your engine and become less efficient.

The main reason for a turbo timer is to prevent 'coking' which is the result of your turbocharger boiling off oil. This happens if the turbo is really hot and you shut off the engine, which stops the flow of oil, allowing what is inside the turbo bearings to boil off. When oil boils off it leaves carbon deposits behind called 'coke' which is very strong and coarce and not good to have on your turbo's bearings. This problem is less of an issue with synthetic oils as they have fewer impurities that can result in coke, but you still don't want to boil off a synthetic oil. A turbo timer will keep the engine running and the oil and coolant flowing through the turbo to cool it off and prevent this from happening. You can also just sit and idle your car for a couple minutes if you don't want to bother with a timer. Some of the really nice timers for the 1.8T like mine will actually monitor how you've been driving and vary the time the car continues to run based on how much you've heated up the turbo.

As for temperature, it doesn't matter, just make sure that as always, you let the engine properly warm up before you start to push it. Now I apologize for the huge response, I hope it's all clear, if not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Last edited:
actually now that I rember I changed with a non syn oil at 500 miles and then switched to a full synthetic at 1500 miles I use valvolene syn power 10w-30

Saw this for the for the Garret T25. I think I'll still let mine cool down for a bit though.

"The water cooling lines that run to the turbo allow the unit to resist the traditional 'coking' of oil during hot engine shut-downs. When the engine is shut down and the turbo is still very hot, a thermal syphon is created in the turbo water jacket. This has the effect of thermally pumping water through the turbo to keep it cool."

http://www.mazdausa.com/mazdaspeed/driving_tech/dt_engine_callaway.asp

I read about that too, it's nice insurance to have, but I would still rather keep the coolant and oil flowing until the turbo is properly cooled.

Thanks all for the very useful info.

At least I now know where to start if I want to dig further.

I hear also that you shouldn't keep the engine revving at the same RPM all the time. Try and vary it as much as you can basically. Is there any truth to this?

So far:

- Take it easy on the first 1000 miles and not revving over 4000 RPM
- Since it's winter, give it even more time to warm up idling

As for sythetic oil, my readings so far is still inconclusive. But I'm confortable going forward thinking like this:

- Ask Mazda about it's policy is for synthetics
- For the first few oil changes, keep the interval short and use conventional oil as you'll be taking it easy on the engine anyway thus negating the sythetic oil's benefits of resistance to extreme heat or cold
- Use synthetic early on in an engine's life and change as often as you would with conventional oil after the break-in period.
- Slowly extend the interval after the first 20-30,000 miles.
- It's usefulness become less and less with age so if you have the money keep using synthetic. If not, switch back to conventional.

Any flaws in thinking this way?! Thanks again.

arkitek said:
I hear also that you shouldn't keep the engine revving at the same RPM all the time. Try and vary it as much as you can basically. Is there any truth to this?
Yes. As long as you don't go on any long trips for the first few hundred miles or so (like don't plan a 500-mile trip to be your break-in period) you should be fine.

oh yea try not to use cruse control on the high way I have heard of that too and I think it is true it is coverd in the manual...read it!! its always a good idea too throughly read your manual

2 points at this juncture.

1: i dont think MSPs have cruise control for some reason
2: another thing to consider when breaking in your car is fuel. Keep in mind these cars were designed for a world with petroleum based fuels such as "unleaded gasoline". Such fuels will most likely not be available when the MSP is released since by 2050 the world is expected to be using fuel cells and whatnot....at this rate, i would expect to get the MSP in, about the same time cars are being powered by bananas, which brings up a whole new question, are over ripe bananas bad for my turbo? and, can plantains really give you improved performance over ordinary bananas?

Latest posts

Back