What to do when your vehicle is submerging?

Most electric motors don't work well while submerged.
So the sensors would be in a well-thought out location. High enough that they don't trigger on a false positive but low enough that they trigger before other components are taken out.

So the sensors would be in a well-thought out location. High enough that they don't trigger on a false positive but low enough that they trigger before other components are taken out.

That's fine for the sensors, what about the electric motors inside the doors? Of course, these motors could be made water resistant/proof. That's gonna cost more.

Under water, high voltage systems would likely short out instantly.
12V system might be fine (depends), at least for a while anyway until the battery is drained through leakage current.

Laminated side glass can't be easily broken by the little hammers or spring-loaded puncher.
It can only break the inner glass, not the vinyl middle layer, nor the outer glass.
I have one in every car I own .. (w/ seatbelt cutter integrated)

Unfortunately, laminated glass provides better sound insulation.
Most high-end vehicles now use laminated side window glass (similar to the windshield).
It also prevents flying glass debris (of tempered glass) toward passengers in an even of side impact.

LifelineStructureFires10.jpg
That Fireman’s tool I kinked to early looks like it can punch through and cut laminate but can’t imagine this would be easy inside the car and add submerged to boot

Back