Owners or potential owners: If you have to pick ONE thing you don't like about the 3.

New Phase!

:
Integra (at the moment)
If you have test driven the car, or you are currently the owner on the car, just want to hear from you.

I am planning to get one but just want to see a more subjective opinion from everyone.

I have test drove the car, overall a very enjoyable experience. Steering is well over expectation. But the only thing I am a little "disapointed" (well, not exactly) is the feather-light clutch, it feels extremely light compare to other manual cars I have driven before.

Note: I am not here to diss the Mazda 3 (why would I? ;) ) just want to see if you are happy with your purchase or things you have noticed. :)

CS

Why do some people hate light clutches? I prefer them. The less effort my leg has to do to change gears the better.

the thing I hated the most...was the center dash console. Good luck putting in a decent stereo ( which you'll have to do because the stock one sucks )

next thing would be the seats. Kinda cheap looking, but still comfortable.

Next,would be the height of the shifter. To high, and shifts too long.

I'm being really picky here guys. It is a nice car.

Good question. While I've decided to buy a Mazda3, it is not a perfect car. My complaints:

- road noise
- no trunk release on the keyless
- the items decontented from N. American versions (but if we added those, the car would be priced out of its class)

However, it's quite amazing to me that I only have 3 nitpicks about this car - quite incredible really.

I enjoyed a test drive tonight - 2.3L S, sedan, 5 speed - but, as requested, here are my three minor beefs: (1) Audio center panel - mostly appealing but why the need to plaster "Multi Function Audio System" in white letters in the middle of it? Let the design speak for itself - labels are cheese. (Yes, I know the P5 was the same. Oh well.) (2) While the rear end is incredible, I thought the front was too bulbous - the point on the nose is slightly too pronounced for my taste. (3) My tester had the red accent cloth interior and I didn't feel like it fit the car's atmosphere. There is a definite feeling of high quality throughout the interior, yet the seat cloth doesn't live up to this standard. Leather, however, would likely be amazing!

newf said:
I'm being really picky here guys. It is a nice car.

Yes, you are being way too picky. This isn't a high performance sport car for crying out loud.

If there is one thing I don't like about it, it's probably the missing light under the hood, and the cup holders. I find they are too close to the driver (right under your arm as you are shifting).

If I find other things I'll let you know with time. ;)

Ack - cup holders are critical for me. I'm a Tim-hortons-coffee-sipping driver :)

I'm getting the Automatic though, so maybe it won't be as much of an issue.

what I didn't like (on the sedan):

- wind/road noise at highway speeds
- center console/radio looks like a Christmas tree and the sound quality is poor
- slight vibration at 2000 rpm (at least on the car I drove)
- weatherstripping on rear door windows looks like it will be coming off sooner rather than later

mkoz said:
what I didn't like (on the sedan):

- wind/road noise at highway speeds
- center console/radio looks like a Christmas tree and the sound quality is poor
- slight vibration at 2000 rpm (at least on the car I drove)
- weatherstripping on rear door windows looks like it will be coming off sooner rather than later

- Wind/road noise: you people expect too much from an econo car. It's not a freaking Cadillac, cripse!
- Console/radio: again, you guys are complaining for nothing. Of course I've seen better setups, but c'mon, let's get real. You can turn the LEDs off if you don't like them. And the sound quality is far from poor.
- Vibration: must have been the car you drove because mine is perfectly fine.
- Weatherstripping: see above

On that note, I still can't get over how picky you guys are. This is by no stretch of the imagination a luxury sedan. You have very unrealistic expectations IMO.

From rumor, they have the same tranny as the current protege.
That = Bad :D

Only real disagreement, its very hard to see something on the back window on reverse/when backing....

Yeah, you guys are really too picky, i owned a 2000 LX TOURING (same as 01-03 ES GT) and i can tell you that road noise is gone by a factor of at LEAST 50%

The clutch is less stiffer, i agree, but who cares?

The shifter, is shorter, and more precise, and less crappy than ALL 99-03 Proteges, really smooth, the gears almost shift themselve...

There is by no mean any comparaison to make between the 2.3L engine and the so so old 2.0 (my 1.8L was a lot better than the old 2L) .... I tried the new 2L too and thats a great engine !

The suspension setup works better, it may looks less stiff, but thats just an impression because its better insonorized, the suspension react really quick and firmly...

The interior is simply too HOT , i think that people say its cheap because the interior is so nice that they start comparing this to 40K can + cars ... hey, wake up, thats a 16k-24k econo box!!

Yes, the cup holders are too close to the shifter, but hey, you got 6 totals! just pick the one in your door....

Perry

- 04 Titanium Mazda 3 GT GFX

Good reviews, I mean of course different people have different experience/perference. They might look for different things in a car (ie: handling, stero, etc). :)

Actually, I've noticed 3 doesn't come with a tower bar like in P5, and the salesperson told me they replaced it with something else to enhance the chasis stiffness. Anyone know what that is?

New Phase! said:
Actually, I've noticed 3 doesn't come with a tower bar like in P5, and the salesperson told me they replaced it with something else to enhance the chasis stiffness. Anyone know what that is?

The 3 has a "built-in tower bar". I'll try to get a pic for you guys. It's hard to explain but it's basically a brace welded to the firewall which connects both towers. Doesn't sound convincing, I know; but so far the car handles great. I'm sure there will be some better aftermarket components in the near future. We'll see ...

1st when i test drove the Mazda3 Sport GT auto the car seems to slide abit, it might just be the tires
2nd the hatch is kinda of hard to open, the lever is way too lower
3th The stero is going to need a upgrade for most ppl
4th well nth now lol:p

That the Canadian cars don't get the H.I.D option. But I haven't driven one yet. After seeing the hatch in person I must say that it looks much better than in pictures.

Well I have to say that no light lighting the engine compartement is annoying if you need to had washer fluid at night as an exemple. Something that can defenitly happen here in Canada with snow conditions.

Interesting point M3-GT. I was anticipating for your opinion. You mean the light in the engine bay area? Cause the car I used to drive, 1.6EL, Integra, all don't have it.... that's why that never came across my mind.

New Phase! said:
Interesting point M3-GT. I was anticipating for your opinion. You mean the light in the engine bay area? Cause the car I used to drive, 1.6EL, Integra, all don't have it.... that's why that never came across my mind.

Yeah. It's weird. I haven't seen a light for the engine bay in a Japanese car. Only in American cars. It's no essential but I did own an American car before and I remember that I liked that when putting windshield washer fluid at night...especially in winter!

Back