2019 CX-5 headlight and fog light performance

:
2013 RAV4 Limited and 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
How good are the headlights in terms of beam pattern etc. Also, those fog lights look tiny and not very practical for real world lighting. I'd appreciate some owner use of the lighting and how effective they actually are. Night lighting is important to me.

The headlights are great and one of the reasons I went GT. The fogs are good enough. They do what they're supposed to.

Thanks. The reason I ask is that my experience on my RAV4's head lights were terrible, and the fog lights were worse. I modified them to LED as have many other owners.

The LED headlights are very good, not quite as wide a pattern as my wifes Civic Touring, but very good. They do have a pretty low cutoff though, so street signs that are higher up and/or closer to the car may not be illuminated really well.

Also the brights wont activate when the conditions arent right, even manually, except inflash (temporary on) mode. You just have to trust the cars algorithm to determine the right conditions for bright activation. Personally I would like brights when there is some street/ambient lighting (but not oncoming cars obviously), but you wont get that.

We havent had any fog yet so I cant speak to the effectiveness of the fog lights, although Ive rarely found them to make a tremendous difference on any car.

I can speak only for the GT with rotating LEDs. Absolutely amazing for night time driving. The beam rotates with the steering wheel left or right. Very nice road coverage as well.
In Europe their version is even better but we dont have that in US. One of the reasons I got the GT was the headlights.
I have even disabled the auto high beam as I rarely needed it.

The fog lamps seem small but produce very strong light beam. It is focused very low. on purpose I assume. You can barely (if at all) see the fog beam from within the car. Havent had fog here in order to see if they help. But a good addition for your car to be seen:)

Also the brights won*t activate when the conditions aren*t right, even manually, except in*flash* (temporary on) mode. You just have to trust the car*s algorithm to determine the right conditions for bright activation.

Agree.

The brights thing must be new because I have complete manual control on my 16.

I have complete control on the 17 as well. But I can imagine it acting like that if the stalk was set to auto.

Agree with everyone that the adaptive LEDs are amazing. The auto hi beams work great for me, too.

Fogs never seem to do much on any car, they just light directly in front and to the sides a bit-- that's all they're supposed to do. I'd rather have high powered driving lights that go on with the high beams [or independently] instead!

Back