Dreaded transmission slip

Pototoy

:
2016 CX-5 GT with tech
3 mos old 2016 GT with tech. 2500 miles on the odo.

I have been noticing the slight slip previously but last weekend it went to neutral like before re-engages. and it went fine.

during the commute when transitioning from slight stop, I kept noticing it. BUT, there's no message or error on the dashboard.

What's my play for the stealership then?

TIA

Is it consistent enough that it will be easy to replicate it for the dealer service dept?

I ease up driving from R to D. It might be replicated. But it also slips when driving.

@yrwei52, I did not check it yet. There's a lot of non sense written there. :D

I had this experience with a new CX-3 a couple of months ago. Same tranny for the 5, so you should visit your dealer and tell them what's going on. I had no codes show up with my issue, and since you don't have codes popping up, they should replace the transmission.

I hope I can just switch to a new CX5. :(

yep, no codes or anything. I already called the dealer, appointment is on Wednesday for Thursday morning work.

I don't know if Mazda corporate will be willing to just get me a new car

I hope I can just switch to a new CX5. :(

yep, no codes or anything. I already called the dealer, appointment is on Wednesday for Thursday morning work.

I don't know if Mazda corporate will be willing to just get me a new car

Not likely. I had more than one issue with my 3, and that put me in a position to request a 5 as replacement collateral for my lease with Mazda.

Good luck and keep us posted! Hopefully you will get a new transmission!

Last edited:
3 mos old 2016 GT with tech. 2500 miles on the odo.

I have been noticing the slight slip previously but last weekend it went to neutral like before re-engages. and it went fine.

during the commute when transitioning from slight stop, I kept noticing it. BUT, there's no message or error on the dashboard.

What's my play for the stealership then?

TIA

What's your car's build date? It's on the sticker on the inside frame, driver side door.

All of those transmissions got replaced from 2016 MY started with slippage and shift delay. The good thing is it'd normally display the full symptom within a short period of time. Base on number of posts in this community and complaints at NHTSA, it seems more people are having this problem than those with transmission problem on front bearing from earlier MY. Although Madza has admitted the part problem, I hope it's not too wide spread.

Then this is across 2016 models. I know for a fact that build dates of 3/2015, 5/2015 also saw this problem. You're at end of 2015 and still show symptoms. Some other forum in a different website has recorded instances of CX-3 having similar problem. 1 thing is consistent: all the cars reported this problem are AWD.

My first CX-5, a 2013 with a build date of 2/12 had these same symptoms from new that they are now replacing TRANS for.

In my case they tried reflashing the TRANS ECU several times, but the problem would still occur.

Typically would happen to me 1 out of 10 times, when attempting a passing or overtaking maneuver. You would be on the throttle, and then let off the throttle slightly to wait for a chance to pass, then when the throttle was subsequently floored, the RPMs would rise up to 4000 RPM, as if in NEUTRAL, and then BAM the trans drop shift into the passing gear but with a violent shock because of the high RPM's when it finally caught the gear.

This same CX5 also had the R-D delay or Reverse to Drive lag, that would also allow the RPMS to get too high before dropping into gear.

Our 2nd CX-5, a 2015 (5/14 Production date) has had no trans issues to date.(detect)

Threads like these are making me think of getting a used 2014-2015 CX-5 instead of the 2016 new. Aside from the fact that it would be cheaper.

Back